Off topic? Discussion: Ford announces 2018 diesel f150 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Off topic? Discussion: Ford announces 2018 diesel f150

Just wanted to start a discussion thread on everyone's thoughts on the 2018 f150 3.0 diesel. Gonna start things off by saying that ford is labeling this as a powerstroke diesel, all though just by coincidence Land Rover also has a 3.0L V6 turbo diesel and most likely that will be the engine they use/ build off the design. Power numbers for that 254 hp and 440 ft/lb made at 1750rpm and most likely will be the same. No numbers have been released yet (power, towing, price, etc...) still aluminum don't get me started on that. I think this may be a good thing for the Colorado diesel and maybe a silverado diesel could be in the near future. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 Z71 DURAMAX
6" RC
33x11.5 Grabber
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:28 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiot_in_a_mask View Post
Just wanted to start a discussion thread on everyone's thoughts on the 2018 f150 3.0 diesel. Gonna start things off by saying that ford is labeling this as a powerstroke diesel, all though just by coincidence Land Rover also has a 3.0L V6 turbo diesel and most likely that will be the engine they use/ build off the design. Power numbers for that 254 hp and 440 ft/lb made at 1750rpm and most likely will be the same. No numbers have been released yet (power, towing, price, etc...) still aluminum don't get me started on that. I think this may be a good thing for the Colorado diesel and maybe a silverado diesel could be in the near future. Thoughts?

Sounds pretty good. Power numbers are good. I am pretty sure I read where the Sierra is going to be going to Aluminum as well...so Ford won't be the odd ball for long.

2017 GMC Canyon All Terrain X Quick Silver Metallic
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:33 AM

Certainly Caught My Attention

Seeing the announcement over the weekend about the 2018 F150 Diesel with the 10-speed automatic is big/major factor for my decision...

You can buy a gasser F150 CCSWB4x2 XLT all day long for under $29K here in Houston (albeit not the most luxury available, but definitely driveable)

I know it's not mid-size (80%), but it's also not a 6-speed automatic
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:51 AM

I have a feeling that we will be seeing GM come out with their diesel in the 1/2 ton trucks soon.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbons025 View Post
I have a feeling that we will be seeing GM come out with their diesel in the 1/2 ton trucks soon.

That's what I'm thinking GM usually acts as ford does. But I think we may see the 4.5 make a comeback in a K2xx silverado and be a competitor to the titan xd.

2016 Z71 DURAMAX
6" RC
33x11.5 Grabber
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Gonna start things off by saying that ford is labeling this as a powerstroke diesel, all though just by coincidence Land Rover also has a 3.0L V6 turbo diesel and most likely that will be the engine they use/ build off the design. Power numbers for that 254 hp and 440 ft/lb made at 1750rpm and most likely will be the same.
Ford has been supplying LR with v6 and v8 diesels for quite some time.
Will most likely be the same with a little tweaking. Supposed 28mpg highway out of the v6. Not bad for a full size truck certainly.

Can't imagine GM will sit by to be the only maker without a 1500 diesel option.

2016 Red Rock LT CC SB v6 4x4

Eibach Shocks all around w/GM rear blocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo tonneau, Bull rings, Zevo LEDs, Westin steps, Fog Lights w/JDMAstar LED, Rear LED pods, Lumen G7s LED Headlights, Factory Remote Start, Dash Cam w/Invisicord, Husky Liners, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread
Front bumper removal How-To
Rear Shock/lift Blocks How-To
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:35 AM

A lot of things to learn and consider. Iron block or aluminum? Timing chain or belt? Easy maintenance like our Duramax? Will the 10 speed allow us to lug the engine nice and low in each gear? What will the high gear ratios be? Will it gear hunt a lot while towing? What will the mpg ratings be? And of course, how much $$$? As this will be the only vehicle on the market that has any chance of pulling me away from my Canyon, I will be watching this very closely. I wish it was an inline engine instead of a V. One more thing. Unlike Ram, I hope they offer it in the Regular Cab Shortbox or it ain't gonna happen for me.

2016 Canyon SLT Crew Cab Shortbox Duramax Diesel, Summit White/Jet Black.

Engine built 1/12/16
Placed order 2/20/16
Dealer ordered 2/25/16
Target Production Week 4/11/16
Built and shipped 4/12/16
Delivered to dealer 4/22/16
Drove it home 4/27/16

Last edited by 404 Not Found; 01-09-2017 at 01:51 PM.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:32 PM

This is something I am interested in. I love my duramax but If I can i'd love to pass it down and get me a full size with the current fuel economy of my Canyon

A 150 doesn't need the power of a 250/350 HD. I hope they focus on the 150 market, witch is weekend warriors(want fuel efficiency of a car during the week and the capability of a truck on the weekend) and not the market of the 250/350 work horse crowd
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 01:02 PM

I certainly hope that deep, dark tinted windows come as standard......so my friends don't see me driving such an ugly truck!
ernster500, Vinolush and Vicarious like this.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 01:46 PM

GM and Ford have been working on 10 speed transmission for a while. I bet Ford is just closer to using it.

With my EcoBoost experience from Ford Motor Corps.... I will not own anything with a blue oval until they make some drastic changes internally. I dropped 26K cash down on a 46K truck that they didn't even want to supply a loaner after it was in the shop for turbo replacement after 10 days.

I'll stick to my MiniMax.
Ben F likes this.

Last edited by 16_MidnightRider; 01-09-2017 at 01:50 PM.
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 01:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16_MidnightRider View Post
GM and Ford have been working on 10 speed transmission for a while. I bet Ford is just closer to using it.

With my EcoBoost experience from Ford Motor Corps.... I will not own anything with a blue oval until they make some drastic changes internally. I dropped 26K cash down on a 46K truck that they didn't even want to supply a loaner after it was in the shop for turbo replacement after 10 days.

Huh...my Dad has and F150 with Ecoboost and he has never had a problem with his...yet...it is a few years old.

post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16_MidnightRider View Post

The interior(and safety ratings) were the major deciding factors when I was on the lot looking at the Canyon and the Ram Diesel. The interior of the ram is just so ugly, and they tend to fold during frontal collisions
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brayan Rosales View Post
The interior(and safety ratings) were the major deciding factors when I was on the lot looking at the Canyon and the Ram Diesel. The interior of the ram is just so ugly, and they tend to fold during frontal collisions

I like the ram longhorn interior personally I was looking at an ecodiesel but decided not to when I found my minimax was used 3,800 miles for 34k and fully loaded.

2016 Z71 DURAMAX
6" RC
33x11.5 Grabber
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I like the ram longhorn interior personally I was looking at an ecodiesel but decided not to when I found my minimax was used 3,800 miles for 34k and fully loaded.

No doubt the Colorado safety is a lot higher my aunt has a canyon v6 all terrain and she took a head on at 35 and walked away. Other car flipped over

2016 Z71 DURAMAX
6" RC
33x11.5 Grabber
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
No doubt the Colorado safety is a lot higher my aunt has a canyon v6 all terrain and she took a head on at 35 and walked away. Other car flipped over

While I'm not doubting the Canyon/Colorado's safety, a blanket statement like that leaves out a lot of other factors that could and do come into play during an accident.
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 03:27 PM

Sounds like a solid powertrain.

I consider the aluminum block a plus. And the 10 speed is a plus plus plus plus.

The 6 speed we get right now is a bit pathetic for 2017 actually.
dano0726 likes this.

Current: 2009 Canyon CC I5. 170K miles. Best vehicle I've ever owned.
Eagerly awaiting 2018 Canyon Denali Diesel 4x4 CCLB
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 03:32 PM

Garage
And it will only be available in the highest trim packages with an additional mark-up.
Vicarious likes this.

2015 Red Z71 4x4 CC Short Box
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 03:36 PM

While Ford is most likely doing this to boost overall CAFE numbers, don't be surprised if GM decides not to offer a diesel option in half-ton trucks. . The logic being the Twins are already available with a diesel.

The 6 speed/diesel combo is far from being pathetic.

"Brownstone Bumblebee" 2016 Diesel Colorado Z71 CCSB 4X4, Brownstone Metallic
HPD and Provent 200 Catch Cans, Amsoil Fluids, MetalMan Front Differential, Engine Oil Pan, & Steering Motor Skid Plate, Undercover Swing Cases
Say No! to Wheelers's Offroad!

"I respect everyone's opinion, no matter how wrong it may be."
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastStarr68 View Post
Huh...my Dad has and F150 with Ecoboost and he has never had a problem with his...yet...it is a few years old.
Look at the TSB's for acceleration and CAC issues. The first models had condensation building up on hwy trips that would cause misfires, stumbles, and few rods through blocks. The block in the eco isn't the strongest.

My issue was with the way Ford Corp's responses and thinking that 2-3 week turn around on 2 day quoted fox was perfectly okay and normal.

On topic---- I really think the Ranger with a diesel will be the winner overall.
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 08:05 PM

Garage
Frankly just from being a member of this forum has me kind of scared to buy a diesel. I know everybody says they love theirs, but seems like every other thread is about this sensor or that sensor going bad, or truck throwing codes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode