• 2 Post By CaryBosse
  • 2 Post By CaryBosse
  • 1 Post By RatRacer
  • 1 Post By Janster
  • 2 Post By Kenro63

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Reintroduction of the ZR2

Anyone else as excited about this as I am? I had 3 S-10 ZR2 models and loved them. When we retired, we bought a 1 ton and 5th wheel, and traveled, I have to say, I loved both my big trucks too (especially the last one), but with the wife and trailer gone, driving a dually is ludicrous, expensive and like docking the Queen Mary in parking spaces. I was ready to tell my dealer to put on a list to order one of the new Z's when they become available in April, when I saw they are coming out with a burnt orange version in the summer. Ga.... have to wait a few more months, as I LOVE that color!!!
Duken4evr and Kenro63 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S. View Post
Anyone else as excited about this as I am? I had 3 S-10 ZR2 models and loved them. When we retired, we bought a 1 ton and 5th wheel, and traveled, I have to say, I loved both my big trucks too (especially the last one), but with the wife and trailer gone, driving a dually is ludicrous, expensive and like docking the Queen Mary in parking spaces. I was ready to tell my dealer to put on a list to order one of the new Z's when they become available in April, when I saw they are coming out with a burnt orange version in the summer. Ga.... have to wait a few more months, as I LOVE that color!!!
We have no rocks here in NJ for me to be excited about the truck itself.....but I already have 2 GM parts people that know to contact me the moment that hood becomes available.
Tom S. likes this.

2005 5 cyl, Black on Black, 4 door
2016 Z71, Black, Long Box, 4 door
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughsox View Post
We have no rocks here in NJ for me to be excited about the truck itself.....but I already have 2 GM parts people that know to contact me the moment that hood becomes available.
No rocks, but I know you get snow, and with lockers front and rear.......
Toughsox likes this.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
No rocks, but I know you get snow, and with lockers front and rear.......
True, but I work for a govt agency that requires me to be at work before it snows, and dont get to go home until the snow is gone.

But that still doesn't mean I wont have the 1st ever ZR-71 Or will that be a Z71-R2

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:
No rocks?? You're close enough to Rausch Creek. Make a weekend of it.

Rausch Creek Off-Road Park
Toughsox, GottaCanyon and robbpoe like this.

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
No rocks?? You're close enough to Rausch Creek. Make a weekend of it.

Rausch Creek Off-Road Park
Wha? And get my purdy truck all muddy and icky? EWWWWWWWWWWWW
CaryBosse and robbpoe like this.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
My first truck was a 1973 Blazer, bought new in 1973. Here's what I did with it:

1973-Blazer1..jpg

1973-Blazer2.jpg

That's what they are made for and why quarter car washes were invented!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Someone asked about rocks, so I gave them some. :)

Yup! Ewwwww....
Been there done that with previous rigs and I'll never take a NEW vehicle in the mud/dirt at an off-road park again. I've seen what it'll do to the mechanicals.
I'm protecting my investment.

If I ever got into the off-roading scene again ( was in it for 10 years), I'd buy an old TJ and build that up. Keep my daily driver functional. ;)
CaryBosse and RatRacer like this.

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 09:37 AM

I am with @Toughsox and @Janster on this one.

I keep looking at the 2009 Wrangler my wife is driving and trying to figure out how to justify keeping it when we get her a new car in a few years. The Wrangler would be just about the right age to set it up for offroad fun, but then, my age will be just about the right time to consider souping up my wheelchair.

The ZR2 is a great looking truck, but at a pricetag ~$40K I suspect, hard to take it off road to scratch and bang up.
Toughsox and Janster like this.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 09:40 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Someone asked about rocks, so I gave them some. :)

Yup! Ewwwww....
Been there done that with previous rigs and I'll never take a NEW vehicle in the mud/dirt at an off-road park again. I've seen what it'll do to the mechanicals.
I'm protecting my investment.

If I ever got into the off-roading scene again ( was in it for 10 years), I'd buy an old TJ and build that up. Keep my daily driver functional. ;)
Lol! she said investment...
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRacer View Post
Despite the depreciative nature of a vehicle, at today's prices, they are still an investment. May not be a lucrative investment, but whether I am investing in a hamburger and fries, along with indigestion & heart disease, at the local burger joint or in a $35K+ truck, it is still an investment.

One definition: To invest is to allocate money in the expectation of some benefit in the future.

Transportation from one point to another is beneficial to me.
RatRacer and Janster like this.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 10:36 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post

Transportation from one point to another is beneficial to me.
That's where the true "appreciation" lies....
CaryBosse likes this.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRacer View Post
After you spend extra $$ into buffing (pinstriping, brushrash), parts & labor (slashed tires, bent wheels, dented rockers, broken axleshafts, broken CV joints, bent steering linkages, broken t-case, split open oil pan, leaking/hole in the radiator, hole in gas tank, broken hydraulic lines, broken fuel lines, etc), extra maintenance costs (water in difs/trans/transfer case, worn bearings, worn ujoints, leaking axle seals, leaking t-case seals, leaking front diff seals, leaking brake cylinders, etc) ... to name a few. :)

These are the many things I've seen - not necessarily on my rig.

And that doesn't include OPERATOR error. I was on a trip with a guy in a brand new Dodge Power Wagon. The guy wasn't paying attention and literally side swiped the entire passenger side of his truck against a tree. From what he said, he didn't even know it hit the tree and kept on driving! How do you not know???
RatRacer likes this.

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 08:30 PM

Here is the deal. If you really want to do real off roading and really tearing up the trail go get an old truck and modify it. Don't worry about the paint or the dents.

You want a nice truck today to drive that in 15 years will be a good truck to beat up on the trail buy a ZR2.

To be honest I have seen so many customer trash new trucks that the bank still owns and they get upset when they put it on the side or into the a tree.

Now if you can afford trashing $45K then go for it but if you can not afford the insurance and damage get a clunker that you can tow to the trail with the ZR2.

I laughed at all the guys who went all baja on the Raptor when it came out. They believed it was a full blown trophy truck and ended up with bent frames that Ford was reluctant to touch.

Now go to San Diego and around the Mission Beach area I have seen some real Trophy trucks with full blown cages, fiberglass bodies and the radiator in the roll bar in the bed. They were made street legal and really could burn through the desert with little issue. Some of the coolest rides I have seen and surprised the rest of the country has not caught on.

I know the ZR2 can and will do some amazing things but keep in mind how much your payment is and how much the repair may be if you break it.

Now if you do plan to do something high risk make sure to have a go pro on and you buddy getting it on video on his I phone. At least you can put it on the web and try to recoup some of the loss with a Watch this video.

Now this is the same for the guy going to the drag strip or modifying a new Camaro. Never do anything you can not afford to replace or fix yourself.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:

I'm looking forward to mine,it is scheduled to be made (TPW) 6/5
mhoyt and Tom S. like this.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 01:45 PM

I was but got tired of the dealers not working on price. I got tired of the lies that they ordered the truck before orders were even ordered. Tired of the bs that they had no clue even to order the truck.

I never has such a hard time tying to get someone to take $40k in my life!

I originally was going to buy a GMC and went back and got a good deal on a Loaded Denali Canyon.

I took it out on a couple drives and it really fit our needs the best. The Z will be a great truck but I can go curb climbing at the mall just as well in the Denali.

If I were going to do any real off roading I would just get an older truck vs beating up a new truck.

If I had got the Z it was just going to be a daily driver and the Denali is more suited for it.

For sure it is a cool truck and I do not expect many will be disappointed.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperv6 View Post
I was but got tired of the dealers not working on price. I got tired of the lies that they ordered the truck before orders were even ordered. Tired of the bs that they had no clue even to order the truck.

I never has such a hard time tying to get someone to take $40k in my life!

I originally was going to buy a GMC and went back and got a good deal on a Loaded Denali Canyon.

I took it out on a couple drives and it really fit our needs the best. The Z will be a great truck but I can go curb climbing at the mall just as well in the Denali.

If I were going to do any real off roading I would just get an older truck vs beating up a new truck.

If I had got the Z it was just going to be a daily driver and the Denali is more suited for it.

For sure it is a cool truck and I do not expect many will be disappointed.
New vehicle are always difficult to get deals on. After the Z has been out for a while, dealers will be more willing to deal on them. I've seen several new introduction vehicles being sold for far beyond list. One that comes to mind was the Dodge Viper. Dealers were asking (and getting) $10,000 over retail for them when they first hit the show rooms. I wouldn't be seriously looking at the Zr2's if I didn't get a discount. My problem right now is selling my old truck.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:11 AM

Quote:
New vehicle are always difficult to get deals on. After the Z has been out for a while, dealers will be more willing to deal on them. I've seen several new introduction vehicles being sold for far beyond list. One that comes to mind was the Dodge Viper. Dealers were asking (and getting) $10,000 over retail for them when they first hit the show rooms. I wouldn't be seriously looking at the Zr2's if I didn't get a discount. My problem right now is selling my old truck.

I was just looking for a fair deal and not a major discount. Most of these trucks are not getting discounted anyways.

As for problems my biggest issue was just trying to get a dealer that was willing to order it or have a clue about it. Most had little to no clue. I would have been thrilled to get to the point where we could at least talk price at some dealers.

I was not going to pay sticker and I was not going to pay over sticker for a regular production model. By late summer you will find these on dealer lots as they will build as many as demand warrants. Prices will limit sales a bit but it should be a good product for Chevy.

But I was lied to that my truck was ordered and I even had one dealer spend a week telling me they could give it to me at $200 below supplier but they could not give me a number?

Buying a vehicle should never be this difficult. But in the long run they may have saved me from making a mistake. While the ZR2 is a great truck the Denali is more of what I really needed. I am not going on the trail so I really did not need the ZR2 to hop curbs at the mall. No reason to be a poser.
The price I paid is about what the ZR2 would have been and I got some extra options not available on the Z. These are options I will really use too.

You should have little trouble selling a truck if it is in good shape. Trucks are an easy sell. Heck I just sold a HHR for $11K to the first buyer and had another waiting if he turned it down. I thought it would be an issue but it went fast. I sold it for more than half what I had in it and it was 9-10 years old. Not bad for a vehicle with a cheap interior.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperv6 View Post
I was just looking for a fair deal and not a major discount. Most of these trucks are not getting discounted anyways.

As for problems my biggest issue was just trying to get a dealer that was willing to order it or have a clue about it. Most had little to no clue. I would have been thrilled to get to the point where we could at least talk price at some dealers.

I was not going to pay sticker and I was not going to pay over sticker for a regular production model. By late summer you will find these on dealer lots as they will build as many as demand warrants. Prices will limit sales a bit but it should be a good product for Chevy.

But I was lied to that my truck was ordered and I even had one dealer spend a week telling me they could give it to me at $200 below supplier but they could not give me a number?

Buying a vehicle should never be this difficult. But in the long run they may have saved me from making a mistake. While the ZR2 is a great truck the Denali is more of what I really needed. I am not going on the trail so I really did not need the ZR2 to hop curbs at the mall. No reason to be a poser.
The price I paid is about what the ZR2 would have been and I got some extra options not available on the Z. These are options I will really use too.

You should have little trouble selling a truck if it is in good shape. Trucks are an easy sell. Heck I just sold a HHR for $11K to the first buyer and had another waiting if he turned it down. I thought it would be an issue but it went fast. I sold it for more than half what I had in it and it was 9-10 years old. Not bad for a vehicle with a cheap interior.
My truck is in excellent shape with just over 20k. The problem is it's a one ton dually, and you have to find a person who needs this much truck and is willing to pay for it. It will pull a 30,000 pound trailer all day long, but not that many people need to pull 30,000 pound trailers, let alone all day long!
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:51 PM

Quote:
My truck is in excellent shape with just over 20k. The problem is it's a one ton dually, and you have to find a person who needs this much truck and is willing to pay for it. It will pull a 30,000 pound trailer all day long, but not that many people need to pull 30,000 pound trailers, let alone all day long!
No but there are people who are looking for low mile Dulleys used because they can' t afford the $70k pluse price of a new one. Too often the used ones are also used up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode