2005 Canyon Electrical Issues - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

2005 Canyon Electrical Issues

This one is strange. Sometimes all my exterior lights except for my headlights won't work. Some interior lights won't work either. But as I drive sometimes they'll just pop on. It seems like there's a grounding issue, but I have no idea where to start. Has anyone experienced this? Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 08:24 PM

Send a message via MSN to braindead1684
Do you loose the cluster or anything else like that.

Have autozone or someone do a load test on the battery and check the connections.

My 07 had an issue when the battery was going out where I lost my cluster, power windows, wipers and some lights i believe. Truck ran fine and I was perplexed as to what was wrong. Battery was starting the truck ok but swelled and went out one day without warning, the issues described never came back after that.

Current
2016 CC LB 2.8L Duramax Diesel
GMC Canyon.

The Original (Sold June 2016)
2007 4x4 Z71 3.7 I-5
Hunter Brush Guard
Access Lorado Rollup Tonneau
Window In-Channel Vents
DDM Tuning 55w 5000k HID
Fosgate Punch 10" Sub w. Custom Box.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply and info. I took your advice and went to autozone and had my battery tested. Unfortunately it turns out that isn't the issue. Back to the drawing board I guess.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

Check/clean the ground points under the hood
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20170228-171617.jpg (72.0 KB, 9 views)

2011 Colorado CC Z71 2LT 4X4 3.7L with a few mods
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 08:26 PM

Probably the first place to try would be the ground point. Most of the lights, internal and external, ground at G105, which is in the engine compartment, on the left fender wall, aft of the battery. The ground point is a small black plastic box that is mounted by a single bolt. Remove the bolt and clean the mating surfaces of the fender wall and the box tab. Pull LIGHTLY on the wires, where they go into the box, to check for broken ones.

The problem could also be located in the light switch module.

G105:

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 09:05 PM

Hi sweetlou36,

We're sorry to learn of the recent electric concern you’re experiencing with your truck. Our team noticed that you are looking for some input from other forum members, so we would like to offer our assistance to you. If you would like, we could take a further look on our end and contact a GM Certified dealership on your behalf. Please send us a private message that includes your VIN, mileage, full contact information, and preferred dealer if this is of interest to you.

To learn more about GM’s privacy policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html

Thanks,

Bret B.
GM Customer Care

Check out the NEW Owner Center at: My.Chevrolet.com and My.GMC.com

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart7881 View Post
Probably the first place to try would be the ground point. Most of the lights, internal and external, ground at G105, which is in the engine compartment, on the left fender wall, aft of the battery. The ground point is a small black plastic box that is mounted by a single bolt. Remove the bolt and clean the mating surfaces of the fender wall and the box tab. Pull LIGHTLY on the wires, where they go into the box, to check for broken ones.

G105:

IF that does not fix your problem, remove the box again and pry it open. Check the connections inside for burning or discoloration.

2005 White 2wd Z71 WT
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart7881 View Post

G105:

So far so good!!! I removed the box, cleaned the connection, and it's been working the past couple days. Thank you for the info.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Update: so it turns out that I had to replace my fuse block that's under the hood. So far so good.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode