Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab

My '16 Collie got bumped by a Taco driver leaving work so its in the shop ($1300 - glad I'm not paying). My rental is a Ram 1500 with a Hemi so I thought I would do some comparisons even though it's a full size truck.
Here's my observations on the Ram: The power is obviously better but I am also only getting about 16 MPG with the Ram. Still it will go when you put your foot into it without much lag (like our trucks have). Seats are wider and way more comfortable than the Collie. Also it has a power rear sliding window which is cool but doesn't make much difference to me. Cool change holder in the console that has holders for each sized coin. It has a knob shifter on the dash which is interesting on a truck but I have a hard time trusting it because I can't feel it going into park. The ride is similar to the Collie but the brake and gas pedals are way more responsive. Some may not like this as they are touchy and take getting used to.
Things I don't care for on the Ram - no back up camera on a truck this size seems ridiculous in 2017. It's a quad cab not a full crew so the back seats actually have less leg room than the Colorado crew cab. No soft open on the tailgate, 4" infotainment screen that looks nowhere near as good as my 8" Chevy one, only 1 USB port, manual seat adjustments and less storage space in the doors (that's my daughters complaint since she loves to cram her stuff into my truck doors when she's in it).
Lastly I would never think about buying this truck even though it is nice and powerful due to its looks. I find it to be ugly as can be. The wannabe truck driver front end and chrome everywhere are not my style. Also they have those huge, chrome Ram haeds on the steering wheel, grill and tailgate that are way too big. Even the Ram 1500 badges on the sides are gigantic. Just an ugly truck in my opinion.
It's been fun to drive with all of that power for a couple of days but my Colorado suits me better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Forgo to add that theRam rental is a 2017 with less than 1500 miles on it.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 10:30 PM

I've had three Ram...the last a leased 2014 I turned in last month for the truck I'm in now...Yes its big...and yes it has power. My Ram was Big horn and had the 8 inch uconnect...I agree with many of your points...It is huge and most will have back up cameras now..The 8 speed automatic is better in the Ram and I know when I am in four wheel drive easily lol...

One other thing that is worlds better is the Uconnect in the Ram. I'ts way smarter and the girl just listens better. If I say "change source to ipod" my GMC doesn't understand at all... The Ram does it perfectly...The GMC also always repeats what you say and then says is that correct...dummy. The Ram just does hat you say without asking a question every single time...I just the buttons on my truck now.

I'm loving my GMC otherwise though. Its is the perfect truck for my needs and really is probably juts as quick as my Ram...

Sad GM lags behind so far still on the infotainment...well and climate control too...its not as good either. BUT I still like the truck. lol.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:13 AM

And here I thought GM's Intellink in my new Canyon diesel is the coolest thing I have ever seen. I guess I don't get out much - been driving a company supplied Camry for the last 12 years and that has no intelligence at all, so the GM system seems cool to me :P

Just added a pedal commander to my diesel. That is a cool little mod. Once can tune the truck's response from soggy and dead to so overly responsive that you really have to be careful. Being the nut, the first drive was set to max responsiveness. That was like driving with a Claymore mine under my foot. I found my happy place after some twiddling.

The Ecodiesel RAM was interesting as it has good power and efficiency but it is simply too big, as I really want to park my new truck in my garage - we have hail here in CO, and the sun blazes in the summer. My new Canyon CCLB fits in there snugly and away from the elements, anything bigger would not.

I agree with you and do find the RAM heads and badging to be gaudy too. My new Canyon has a few warts, but the package itself really is perfect for what I want, very happy with it.

Last edited by Duken4evr; 03-19-2017 at 10:15 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:41 AM

I had a 2003 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 1500 when it was new. Owned it for about 3 years.

After reading your info, I'm surprised it doesn't have more options since 2003. But then again, you had a rental - probably the barest bones minimally optioned truck the rental company can get their hands on. I'm sure a fully loaded Ram has all the shit. LOL

One thing you didn't mention (or weren't able to experience) - A fullsize (in general) will tow like a dream. We bought it specifically to tow 6500+ lbs on a fairly regular basis. Tows like it the load doesn't exist. With 5.7L gasser... Prodigy Brake Controller and totally stock truck with no Weight Distributing hitch. It was a dream compared to the 5.7L V8 Grand Cherokee we'd been towing with prior to buying the Ram.

Gas Mileable was similar to what you specify for stock truck wihtough towing. When towing 6500's (Jeep on a car hauler) up into and over the Tennessee mountains - about 12mpg. I remember it used to 'hunt' for gears often and couldn't make up its mind what gear to be in going over the hills in Tennessee. We used to manipulate the cruise control to force it to shift. I surely hope they would've fixed that by now.

I personally just don't like the overall size..... too damn big for driving & and around down. Once we sold the Jeep and didn't need to tow anymore, I traded it for a 2007 tacoma.

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 08:17 PM

Rams have some good points but too often the bad catch up to them anymore. Lots of little quality issues and recalls.

Many at work buy them because they can get a nice price and they are a nice truck but most return to Ford and GM the next time around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode