• 1 Post By cesharp3
  • 1 Post By CaryBosse
  • 1 Post By zazu87usf
  • 2 Post By rookie145
  • 1 Post By Dayton

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Need some opinions on towing

Just signed up today and look forward to learning more about my new 2017 Colorado LT Crew Cab 4x4 3.6L V6. I'm driving to Vegas next month to pick up a boat and tow it 1800 miles. I've attached a pic of the boat and trailer. Will my new truck handle this thing? Boat weighs about 4500lbs and I'm guessing trailer is around 800-1000lbs. I know towing capacity is 7,000 but am I pushing it? Need your opinions. Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14859354_10211444294806850_763205583_o.jpg (266.3 KB, 101 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 06:31 PM

That boat looks a lot heavier than 4500 pounds. I would guess closer to 6.5K for the combo of that boat and trailer. I would not want to do that to my new mid size truck.
Toughsox and 51colt like this.

'17 Canyon SLT CCLB 4X4 Diesel, Bronze Alloy, Cocoa/Dune interior. Line-x.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 08:28 PM

How "new" is your truck - how many miles? I wouldn't tow anything that heavy or that far in the first couple thousand miles.

Also, do the V6s come with a transmission cooler like the Duramaxes? I don't think so, but I'm not positive, I haven't paid much attention to the V6. If not, I'd definitely add one before towing in the desert.

[EDIT]
I might be concerned about the trailer as well....are you buying this from someone you know/trust? Do the brakes work? How old are the tires? Does it have a spare? Lots of potential issues here that are worth looking into before you make the trip.
Toughsox likes this.

Nick http://www.naskie18.com GoogleTalk: naskie18@gmail.com AIM: naskie18

Last edited by naskie18; 03-27-2017 at 08:32 PM.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 08:44 PM

Garage
I tow my dad's 21 ft. fiberglass run-a-bout on a single axle trailer with with his Ford F150 with the 5.0 V-8 and that truck is just about right on hills. With two axles probably rated at 3500# each minimum guessing by tire size so I agree that you are probably pushing well over 7000 Lbs. That looks like fiberglass and not aluminum. An then there is the extra wind resistance. Plus I agree that the engine & transmission should have at least 1000 miles on it before towing. I would also like to add wheel bearings to Naskie18's concerns. Wheel bearings are often ignored on utility trailers with boat trailers often failing due to exposure to water at the ramps. Does this trailer have electric brakes?

I just noticed that you are also in Wisconsin. That means hauling it through the Rockies? Like the hills west of Denver? Been up and down those hills a few times. Yikes.

2016 Equinox LT AWD/ 3.6 V6 /Patriot Blue
2017 Colorado LT 4WD Extended Cab/ 3.6 V6/ Silver Ice Metallic

Last edited by caseih; 03-27-2017 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Another question.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info and advice so far. Right now the truck has only 315 miles on it. After driving to Vegas it will have just over 2000. So as far as the "break-in" it should be okay. I haven't weighed the boat and trailer together yet. NADA guide says the boat weight 4550lbs without fuel and gear. I plan on servicing the trailer when I get there i.e...bearings, lights, tires, etc. The truck as a tow mode on it which should help with the shifting and right gears. No transmission cooler on it though. Should I get one prior to trip? Really nervous about this trip...don't want to damage my new truck. I'm in no hurry so plan on taking it nice and slow. Pretty flat land except about a 2000-3000 ft elevation change thru parts of Utah and Wyoming.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 10:25 PM

I wouldn't be concerned for transmission cooler. Braking capabilities and hauling up hills or into a wind worry me more.

Your commitment to not being in a hurry is also important.

I wouldn't want to tow that on a regular basis but for a one time easy does it, probably ok.

Would it make more sense to hitch a ride on a bus and rent a truck to tow it home and save the wear and tear?
Toughsox and ferg Z71 like this.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 10:59 PM

Everything that was said so far is spot on. That boat looks more than what the NADA guide states and Id want someone to weigh it beforehand just to make sure. State Police may be able to help you with that or at least guide you to where a weigh station is.
Also, if that is loaded up with fuel you can easily add another 500-1000 pounds without realizing it.
Even with all that being said, Id ask a friend to borrow a bigger truck before I broke in my new truck on a drive like that. You will need more than a few hours behind the wheel of your new truck to really get a feel for how it handles with such a weight on the tail end of it.

Just my 2 cents. Either way, best of luck with it.

Which brings me another point.....you showed the boat, WHERE IS YOUR TRUCK??? We demand pix around this neck of the woods.
Duken4evr likes this.

2005 5 cyl, Black on Black, 4 door
2016 Z71, Black, Long Box, 4 door
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 11:00 PM

As a person that deals a lot with boats, that thing weighs over 4500. But even if it does somehow only weigh 4500 I still wouldn't do that to your truck. Since you're only doing it one time, I would hitch a ride or flight then rent a Uhaul pickup for the trip. The pickups start at $19 / day plus mileage. Since your truck is brand new, I would not do that to it. The sheer size of that boat alone makes me nervous for you with any kind of wind.
Long story short I personally would not do it. But hey, it's your $35,000 investment so do what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Toughsox likes this.

2015 Silver Colorado Z71
-Blacked out bowties -Air-dam delete
-Front light bar in grill -Red Tow Hooks
-1.25" front level -265/70/17 BFG KO2s
-Husky Mudflaps -Bedrug
-VHF Antenna Install -USB/12v bed plugs
-LED Interior -LED reverse, cargo
-Tekonsha P3 TBC
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie145 View Post
Just signed up today and look forward to learning more about my new 2017 Colorado LT Crew Cab 4x4 3.6L V6. I'm driving to Vegas next month to pick up a boat and tow it 1800 miles. I've attached a pic of the boat and trailer. Will my new truck handle this thing? Boat weighs about 4500lbs and I'm guessing trailer is around 800-1000lbs. I know towing capacity is 7,000 but am I pushing it? Need your opinions. Thank you!
Not sure this link to Bayliner is the same boat, but it shows weight as 5,685 lb.
http://bayliner.com/wp-content/uploa...Spec-Sheet.pdf

Here is link to app that has scale locations, https://catscale.com/

Maybe good idea to have it weighted before you decide if you can tow it or call bayliner and trailer manufacture to see what spec says for weight. Some trailers have placards with trailer weight and gross capacity.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 11:55 PM

Garage
keep in mind, there are a lot of mountain ranges to cross in that area, depending on which way you go

2017 Colorado Z71 (2WD), Cajun Red, V6, Tow, GM Sportbar w/lights, Vinyl "Performance" striping, 4" Westin Nerf Bars, BAK Revolver X2 roll up bed cover (modified), Bed LED lights
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 12:47 AM

Even if the weight is under the 7k max rating, it's not as much as a "Can it do it?" as a "Should you do it?"
If weight is lower than 6500, it could do it but that thing is pretty big and has A LOT of cross section to catch wind. That's a pretty long trip through some windy areas with something like that. Like someone said, if you're not in any hurry it would be better but doing anything close to the max isn't necessarily a good idea even though it technically can do it.

Also the v6 has a built in trans cooler iirc. Forgot if its separate or built into the radiator.

2016 Red Rock LT CC SB v6 4x4

Eibach Shocks all around w/GM rear blocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo tonneau, Bull rings, Zevo LEDs, Westin steps, Fog Lights w/JDMAstar LED, Rear LED pods, Lumen G7s LED Headlights, Factory Remote Start, Dash Cam w/Invisicord, Husky Liners, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread
Front bumper removal How-To
Rear Shock/lift Blocks How-To
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser67 View Post
Even if the weight is under the 7k max rating, it's not as much as a "Can it do it?" as a "Should you do it?"
If weight is lower than 6500, it could do it but that thing is pretty big and has A LOT of cross section to catch wind. That's a pretty long trip through some windy areas with something like that. Like someone said, if you're not in any hurry it would be better but doing anything close to the max isn't necessarily a good idea even though it technically can do it.

Also the v6 has a built in trans cooler iirc. Forgot if its separate or built into the radiator.
Lot of good points:

- The CAN IT versus SHOULD IT.
- Cross sectional wind.

The transmission cooler is built in to radiator, but I think it is pretty effective on the V6, at least for the 2015/2016 models. Actually, can anyone confirm same on 2017? I asked the question a while back about transmission temps on the 2017 when towing, but never got any good responses.

Once you get the boat "home" to Wisconsin, are you:

1. Going to put it in the water and leave it? (doubt it in Wisconsin.)
2. Pull it out every winter and relaunch every spring?
3. Launch it on a boat ramp or using a crane?
4. Tow it every weekend from home to lake, 10 miles? 50 miles? 150 miles?

If you are going to be launching it off a ramp, towing it every week a fair distance, etc., I would get a bigger truck. If you are just transporting it from Vegas to Wisconsin, I would rent a truck, probably even something heavier duty than that 1/2 ton Silverado that U-Haul offers.
kaiser67 likes this.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
Lot of good points:

- The CAN IT versus SHOULD IT.
- Cross sectional wind.

The transmission cooler is built in to radiator, but I think it is pretty effective on the V6, at least for the 2015/2016 models. Actually, can anyone confirm same on 2017? I asked the question a while back about transmission temps on the 2017 when towing, but never got any good responses.

Once you get the boat "home" to Wisconsin, are you:

1. Going to put it in the water and leave it? (doubt it in Wisconsin.)
2. Pull it out every winter and relaunch every spring?
3. Launch it on a boat ramp or using a crane?
4. Tow it every weekend from home to lake, 10 miles? 50 miles? 150 miles?

If you are going to be launching it off a ramp, towing it every week a fair distance, etc., I would get a bigger truck. If you are just transporting it from Vegas to Wisconsin, I would rent a truck, probably even something heavier duty than that 1/2 ton Silverado that U-Haul offers.
The truck should have a transmission cooler. Also another thing, you don't want to "break in" your truck on the highway. So a 2000 mile trip is not the way to go.
CaryBosse likes this.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

You guys are rocking the advice...thanks again! One of my biggest reasons for towing it myself is the cost, of course. I looked on Enterprise website and a 1/2 ton truck one way rental was (no kidding) $13,000! I can get a 15ft U-haul truck for about $1200 and not tell them I hauling my own trailer. I'll be honest, this decision is keeping me up at night. I'm getting about half telling me it should be okay as long as I take it easy and not rush things and others say it's not worth the risk at all. I am seeing about getting everything weighed before I make my decision. I will let you guys know what the final weight is when I find out. Again, thank you for all the info and advice. Sweet forum site you have here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170328_113839.jpg (240.2 KB, 23 views)
cesharp3 and Duken4evr like this.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
You guys are rocking the advice...thanks again! One of my biggest reasons for towing it myself is the cost, of course. I looked on Enterprise website and a 1/2 ton truck one way rental was (no kidding) $13,000! I can get a 15ft U-haul truck for about $1200 and not tell them I hauling my own trailer. I'll be honest, this decision is keeping me up at night. I'm getting about half telling me it should be okay as long as I take it easy and not rush things and others say it's not worth the risk at all. I am seeing about getting everything weighed before I make my decision. I will let you guys know what the final weight is when I find out. Again, thank you for all the info and advice. Sweet forum site you have here.
Just noticed you are from Superior we live across the Bay. A good local source of info is Eric at Barkers Island. He likely knows weight of typical trailers and what your boat may weigh. This time of year best to stop in at their boat repair area to talk with him as they are likely getting busy finishing up winter projects and getting ready for spring.

We tow a travel trailer with dry weight of 5245 lb which likely has more wind area than your boat. We have a diesel Canyon but know that someone on this list tows identical travel trailer with a V6. We usually only travel 60mph when towing
rookie145 likes this.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 08:59 PM

Red face

Quote:
Reminds me of the time I sold a 26' Sea Ray sundancer, the buyer came with a dodge minivan. He had a 250 mile drive, I told him he wouldn't make it. Sure enough about halfway the tranny went. Sure wish I had taken a picture. My friends and I still laugh about it.

My suggestion is to get a bigger truck or find another boat local to you.

2017 Z71 4x4 CCSB Cyber Grey
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 09:59 AM

You should be able to hire someone to tow it for around $1 per mile. That saves the wear and tear on your truck and your time as well.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 10:10 AM

Need some opinions on towing

I agree with the others, your estimation of that rigs weight is way low. While I would not hesitate to do local hauls of it with a Colorado, even with my Minimax I would hook it to one of the Silverado HD's for a freeway run of more than a few miles. Running that heavy and wind resistant for hours at a time can be done, but you will be sucking the life out of that truck, especially with the gasser.

'16 Z71 CC/SB Minimax. Brownstone. 5" SS boards, Quad fold tonneau, Wheel well flares. Spray in liner, swing out tool boxes, Bose & Nav. Weathertech vent shades, floor liners and mud flaps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode