Dead battery/low voltage - Page 3 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperv6 View Post

So please do not take this personal but you really underestimate the abilities of these systems.
Do not take this personally, but it would be rare I would take anything said on an anonymous website personally.

I don't think I am underestimating these systems all that much. These systems are miles past points, condensors, carbs, etc. I was amazed at what vehicles just a few years ago were doing, my 2015 is even more amazing, and the 2017 have a few more nice features.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
Do not take this personally, but it would be rare I would take anything said on an anonymous website personally.

I don't think I am underestimating these systems all that much. These systems are miles past points, condensors, carbs, etc. I was amazed at what vehicles just a few years ago were doing, my 2015 is even more amazing, and the 2017 have a few more nice features.
No problem here.

You can believe what you like but I know if you dig into this you will find out different.

This is not about me being right but just correct info getting passes around. So much bad info is out there and I see so many people pay the price for it.

I had a customer today that was upset his programmer on his car did not adjust shift points. Well the unit is not able to do it but that is not what someone on the web told him. Now he is out $400 because he did not dig in on his own to gather all the needed info. He was a good mechanic but he is a little behind on the new things and thought he knew what he needed with out checking.

That is all this happens way too often.

Alternators do charge well to Handel most things but if the battery is not there to support it the computer takes over and shuts non essential things down till it can no longer support the vehicle operation. Aircraft have done this for years and now cars do.

If a battery shorts out you may not even get it to jump start just as I saw this week.

All I ask is that you look into this as what you know is not in play much anymore. I run into this myself often when I think I know what is going on with a system but only to find out things have changed. It also is tougher and tougher to keep up.

A good mechanic today is a humble mechanic.

Another example was a dealer mechanic with 3o years was mad as he thought we sent him the wrong crank. It was a stroker crank and it was hitting the block.

Well he had the wrong crank and I asked if he had clearances the block. He said he did not have to do that. Well I explained you added more stroke. And it has to go some where.

He said how long he worked at the Chevy dealer and I said that is fine but he was building an engine GM never sold. Once I got him to think he realized what he needed to do. He was a good wrench but now he was reengineering the engine.

We got him to do a little more work and he ended up with no. More issues and a great engine.

My comment of what have you done lately is not to be a smart a$$ but just a note you need to really keep up anymore. I do many tech classes and read much to just keep up. Even then it is still not enough
post #43 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdavidson0128 View Post
I have no...absolutely zero doubt that this happened...But I believe without a shadow of doubt that there was was one or more factors that caused such a catastrophe. I car doesn't nearly go up in flames because the battery when dead and it was to taxing for the charging system to recharge the battery. I'm not a mechanic by any stretch for sure but respectfully that wreaks highly of some other issue present before the battery died.

Regarding batteries and automotive charging systems...(again not a trained mechanic) I don't believe for one iota that manufacturers are so inept to design systems that cannot fully sustain the normal operation of a vehicle...whatever/however batteries and alternators work together. Vehicles today are so well engineered and the automotive market is so competitive car manufacturers are going to great lengths to make cars and truck better than ever to retain customers. I'm talking about new cars being delivered from the factory and are unaltered and any way. People that modify their cars or trucks and/or add accessories are on a different playing field in my opinion.

The notion that the charging system cannot replenish the battery is just not normal...if that was the case then the battery manufacturers would be in the profit sector with the oil companies because every couple months people would have to replace dead batteries. Think about it, or am I way way off base? The wide majority of people at some point from time to time start and stop the vehicles in a very short time period...to move a car in the driveway, run and grab lunch a few block away from work and back, down the the mail box and back...even modern cars with auto stop/start...whatever. If the charging systems of vehicles cannot keep the battery replenished in a fairly short order then the failure rate of batteries would be astronomically higher than it is.

Once again I'm not a mechanic but if my basic understanding of batteries/charging systems is cuckoo then please correct me.
I am a mechanic and I think you are dead on. As far as that Acura there could have been a few things that went haywire. regulator stuck "on" to boil the battery, blah blah blah.... Dead and/or shorted battery, blah blah blah, Short to ground.....whatever...the blah blah blah means I don't feel like explaining in detail the rest of it.........:)

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6
AS level/lift 2.5" w/1" rear block, diff drop
275/70-17 Cooper AT3 on MotoMetal 970s
Scary, evil, black, warranty voiding catch can from the devil
post #44 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:

yes they are miles past that stuff. Our trucks have a computer controlling the alternator now. I remember when it was a stupid relay that switched on when the voltage was too low. It was screwed on the fender well and cost like 5 bucks.
CaryBosse likes this.

post #45 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 09:12 PM

Sit down before you price the alternator. It is good they hold up longer these days vs the old one.
post #46 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdavidson0128 View Post
I completely agree with the NASA sentiment as most of us have smart phones that might likely have more computing power than the first space explorers. I won't even pretend to understand volts, amp, ohms, etc but isn't that why alternators can vary output and are rated for maximum output levels? For example, I replaced an alternator on another vehicle and choose a unit with higher amperage. The stock was 90a and I went with the 120a. I see the benefit after I start the car, turn on heater, rear defrost, seat heaters, headlights...The lights are just a bright at an idle or if you rev the engine. Do you understand what I'm describing? Before the lights would dim just a little, blower would slow just a tad till you increased RPM or started driving. But with the higher amps seems powers is more available even at an idle.
Agreed, except the NASA part. Our smart phones aren't just likely to have more computing power than first space explorers, they have WAY more computing power. Awesome little things they are!
CaryBosse likes this.

post #47 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Sit down before you price the alternator. It is good they hold up longer these days vs the old one.
I haven't bought an alternator for a newer vehicle. Actually, I can only think of one alternator I have ever bought and that was last year. Paid $120 or so, but it was for a 2000 mitsibishi. Usually I would rebuild alternator with brushes, diode (triode?) and bearings. Granted in last 25 years I have not had any alternator issues. (Where is that wood to knock on?)

Dare I ask about cost for an alternator for our trucks?

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #48 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 10:30 PM

Quote:
I haven't bought an alternator for a newer vehicle. Actually, I can only think of one alternator I have ever bought and that was last year. Paid $120 or so, but it was for a 2000 mitsibishi. Usually I would rebuild alternator with brushes, diode (triode?) and bearings. Granted in last 25 years I have not had any alternator issues. (Where is that wood to knock on?)

Dare I ask about cost for an alternator for our trucks?
I thought I saw some say the were near $300

I did put one on a SSEI a while back that retail was $325 but I got it at cost through work.

Just did a water pump for $250 on a 3.6.

I used to rebuild my alternators. It used to be easy to get parts to do it but few carry them and it is cheaper to buy a rebuild.

I did fix my wiper motor on the Sonoma thanks to NAPA. The delay circuit board failed and GM wanted $200 and NAPA had the board for only $15.
CaryBosse likes this.
post #49 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 10:44 PM

Rock Auto lists our alternator @ $190.79
Autozone @ $276.99
JScottM likes this.

2005 5 cyl, Black on Black, 4 door
2016 Z71, Black, Long Box, 4 door
post #50 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughsox View Post
Autozone @ $276.99
The Autozone is about what I heard.
post #51 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Autozone @ $276.99
Yes, Rock Auto is awesome as long as you aren't in a hurry. (like run down to Autozone hurry) I've ordered a bunch of stuff from them at great prices.

post #52 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 03:07 AM

If you are in a hurry, print out the Rock Auto price and take it to Auto Zone. They will price match it. Also if you are a veteran they will give you 10% off. They have never asked me for a veteran id. That said, I use Rock Auto a lot.
CaryBosse and JScottM like this.

2005 White 2wd Z71 WT
post #53 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n9cv View Post
If you are in a hurry, print out the Rock Auto price and take it to Auto Zone. They will price match it. Also if you are a veteran they will give you 10% off. They have never asked me for a veteran id. That said, I use Rock Auto a lot.
Thats awesome, never tried it. Seems most places say "no internet price match". Going to do it next time for sure.

post #54 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScottM View Post
Yes, Rock Auto is awesome as long as you aren't in a hurry. (like run down to Autozone hurry) I've ordered a bunch of stuff from them at great prices.
Alternator tends to be a part that you need in a hurry. The price match is something I need to keep in mind.
JScottM likes this.

post #55 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
I thought I saw some say the were near $300

I did put one on a SSEI a while back that retail was $325 but I got it at cost through work.

Just did a water pump for $250 on a 3.6.

I used to rebuild my alternators. It used to be easy to get parts to do it but few carry them and it is cheaper to buy a rebuild.

I did fix my wiper motor on the Sonoma thanks to NAPA. The delay circuit board failed and GM wanted $200 and NAPA had the board for only $15.
In our throw away society, getting parts to fix things is just harder and harder.

I am sorry to see Radio Shak going down the tubes. Not so much for cars, but other repairs. But then I can't say I have purchased enough to keep them in business. Sears demise may make appliance repair more difficult. Needed a part for clothes washer one Sunday and their parts store was only place open. Most appliance parts store are only open 8 to 5 M-F.

Back in a past life, a project came up from a recall by Ford and I needed some soldering irons. We had never done any soldering at our plant, so I ran to closest Radio Shak and bought every iron they had. Kid behind counter couldn't believe he was selling all of an item he had never sold before.

post #56 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
In our throw away society, getting parts to fix things is just harder and harder.

I am sorry to see Radio Shak going down the tubes. Not so much for cars, but other repairs. But then I can't say I have purchased enough to keep them in business. Sears demise may make appliance repair more difficult. Needed a part for clothes washer one Sunday and their parts store was only place open. Most appliance parts store are only open 8 to 5 M-F.

Back in a past life, a project came up from a recall by Ford and I needed some soldering irons. We had never done any soldering at our plant, so I ran to closest Radio Shak and bought every iron they had. Kid behind counter couldn't believe he was selling all of an item he had never sold before.

E Replacment Parts has become my go to for about anything. I just ordered a new flame roll out limit switch for my heater.

I miss just going to the store. But I have found all sorts of parts here from dishwashers, compressors to freezers at good prices.
post #57 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 10:16 AM

While the following statement is no guarantee about the 2nd Gen Collies.....my 1st gen (2005) required a 70 amp circuit breaker for the amplifier, which cranked out my tunes on a daily basis. That alternator was stock and while it still only has 83K on it, is still going strong and never had a hiccup.

Will my new Collie and its 100 amp breaker for the amp have the same results? Im hoping so but so far it is still putting out whatever its supposed to.

2005 5 cyl, Black on Black, 4 door
2016 Z71, Black, Long Box, 4 door
post #58 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
While the following statement is no guarantee about the 2nd Gen Collies.....my 1st gen (2005) required a 70 amp circuit breaker for the amplifier, which cranked out my tunes on a daily basis. That alternator was stock and while it still only has 83K on it, is still going strong and never had a hiccup.

Will my new Collie and its 100 amp breaker for the amp have the same results? Im hoping so but so far it is still putting out whatever its supposed to.
From the 80's on Alts are not as problematic.

In the old days windings and internals would die from the hear. Today they manage the tempers better since they are often higher.

The old regulators also like to pop but back in the day they were separate.

Today the most common failure is a bearing.
CaryBosse likes this.
post #59 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
E Replacment Parts has become my go to for about anything. I just ordered a new flame roll out limit switch for my heater.

I miss just going to the store. But I have found all sorts of parts here from dishwashers, compressors to freezers at good prices.
Some times I want to touch the part before I decide if it is a job I want to tackle.

My popup camper had a failure in the lift system. I was not sure about the repair and was prepared to pay the service guys $300 to repair it. They told me it would be 8 weeks till they could get to it. By then the camping season in Texas would be over till fall. Ordered parts and tried to find a utube video but none. When parts arrived I was able to see how to repair. Took my old body 90 minutes to complete the repairs this morning. Guess I ain't lost all my wrenching skills after 10 years of a white collar desk job. Saving a few bucks was nice too.
JScottM likes this.

post #60 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 07:46 PM

I like seeing too but you just can't hardly do that any more.

The e parts site has never disappointed with OE parts or better.

The levers that adjust our maytag dish washer were plastic. They made a stainless one to replace it.

Everything else Is top notch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode