The exact moment black wheels became uncool - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 12:32 AM

The exact moment black wheels became uncool

Personally, I never liked the blackout trend. It works sometimes but I feel like most people choose it because they have no creativity or are scared of a little color or flair. Nothing says shiny and new like chrome. And who doesn't want a shiny car? I'm not advocating a completely chromed-out look either, just tasteful accents. Give your truck some detail and contrast.

I too have been shopping for new wheels and have been disappointed about the lack of chrome options.
Two Door likes this.

Last edited by Daubsy; 04-17-2017 at 12:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 08:19 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrettb189 View Post
I do not buy because of what other people think is "cool"...I bought my wheels because I like the look of them...

My dad is constantly laughing at guys that murder out their newer vehicles...thinks it is hilarious that "someone would want their vehicle to look like they are color blind or don't have enough money for a paint Job" and black wheels give him the giggles as well...thinks they look like cheap azz steel wheels...again, to him they look like "the owner has no money/is poor".
Garrettb, I go along with your dad's thinking, but of course I am old too. I have a 2015 SLT with a bit of stainless and chrome, not a lot, certainly not enough to be gaudy, just enough to give the truck a class look. Up here in the Northwest where 45% of the roads are gravel and snow is covered with a sand/boulder mix on the interstate the all black look is just dirty and worn looking all of the time..
I certainly have no problem with the " black out boys", to each his own desires, and i go on merrily trying to keep my rims shinny and Copper Red Metallic paint gleaming.
JBT likes this.

2015 Canyon, SLT, CC, 4x4, Copper Red Metallic, Nav, Bose, Trailer pkg, Safety pkg, Eng heater, steps, Extang tri fold hard cover, flaps.
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 12:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubsy View Post
Personally, I never liked the blackout trend. It works sometimes but I feel like most people choose it because they have no creativity or are scared of a little color or flair. Nothing says shiny and new like chrome. And who doesn't want a shiny car? I'm not advocating a completely chromed-out look either, just tasteful accents. Give your truck some detail and contrast.

I too have been shopping for new wheels and have been disappointed about the lack of chrome options.
Before selling my truck a month ago I had a rim crack and they came with a lifetime warranty. I could pick any set of wheels I wanted and out of over a hundred wheels they had one polished aluminum set and one that had the machined edge finish. All else was black. I picked the polished wheels. I cant stand black. It makes the trucks/cars look like it has four black holes. Also while attending the the off road expo a few months back I was talking to one of the big wheel manufacturers and he did say the black wheels have run there coarse. We will see!!
Two Door and doug5336 like this.

post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maugust24 View Post
Also while attending the the off road expo a few months back I was talking to one of the big wheel manufacturers and he did say the black wheels have run there coarse. We will see!!
Black rims became popular about 10 years ago. People have been saying black wheels have run their course for at least 5 years and yet here we see black rims going mainstream. That manufacturer is clueless. Black rims aren't a trend any more, they are an option thats here to stay just like chrome rims. Black rims can balance a vehicle that is black or white - even the Rogue in that advertisement actually looked decent. You want something unique then get chrome - you rarely see them anymore - they appeal to mostly an older crowd because that was the trend back in the 60s and 70s. Just get some tie dye shirts, blast some Beach Boys, and you'll be old school LOL.
beefymc likes this.
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 08:43 PM

Garage
I'm way out of touch and still waiting for white letter tires to come back...
JBT and doug5336 like this.
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 09:03 PM

I prefer monochromatic and nothing looks better then a perfectly polished black

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
kaiser67 and Fubar2016 like this.

2016 CC EB Colorado Midnight Edition 2.8L Duramax 4x4
Fab Four Premium Front Bumper / Winch
Mann 200 Provent
1.5" Wheel Spacers w/ 275/70/R18 KO2's On the Midnight edition Rims
5.5" Lift From Zone w/ Fox 2.0 Shocks
Spray In Bed Liner, Full Leather, Bose, Nav, Sidesteps, Weathertech Floormates, Tuxedo bed cover

On Order:
BajaKits Upper Control Arms
Fox 2.5 Front Shocks w/ DSC (Recieved not installed)
HiLift Jack
Afe Turbo back exhaust
Afe Black hot and cold pipes
ProFab Intake pipe
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjsully2 View Post
I prefer monochromatic and nothing looks better then a perfectly polished black

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

... except perfectly polished chrome.
JBT likes this.
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 09:35 PM
JBT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by laterider View Post
Who gives a shit what's in style, buy what you like. This is my 2007 Colorado, Z71 3LT with stock chrome rims, oem chrome grill and Firestones. Chrome and white letters, FTW. And black rims have been around a lot longer than 10 years. Try more like sixty years with the rat racers from the 1950's. They were the poor mans way of fixing rust.

My new set of tires will have white lettering too. I did one quick photo shop pic of white lettering on my truck already just to see. And, I still want more chrome on my new truck eventually. I really miss not having a chrome rear bumper though I am starting to like the body color handles and mirrors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg truck new tires1.jpg (297.6 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg new tires1.jpg (379.8 KB, 68 views)

2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 V6 4x4 Extended Cab

Last edited by JBT; 04-17-2017 at 11:14 PM.
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 11:24 PM

I like the combo of the white letters and wheels on JBT's truck Those stock wheels, with their clean and classic design, hearken back to the white letter tire days.

A big part of the reason I spent the extra dough on the SLT package for my Canyon was because I like the look of the 18" GMC wheels. They are very clean looking to my eye. Now that I have the truck, the leather seats are the thing. Love those seats...

'17 Canyon SLT CCLB 4X4 Diesel, Bronze Alloy, Cocoa/Dune interior. Line-x.
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawman View Post
Nothing will ever beat these wheels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QauskWNb8KQ
Now that is F ing stupid, even more so than 20s on a 4x4 ;)

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6
AS level/lift 2.5" w/1" rear block, diff drop
275/70-17 Cooper AT3 on MotoMetal 970s
Scary, evil, black, warranty voiding catch can from the devil
post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 04:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JScottM View Post
Now that is F ing stupid, even more so than 20s on a 4x4 ;)
Yeah hopefully everyone got that I was trying to be funny. I think it looks ridiculous.
JScottM likes this.

2017 Ice Silver Metallic Colorado CCSB 4x4 Z71 Duramax

post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 08:54 PM

I'm not a fan of black wheels at all. I had to get a set because my 1 year old chrome rims would not fit my lift kit. Luckily my black wheels have a silver machined lip on the design so it doesn't look half bad.

One thing I hope more wheel companies do is Brushed finish. I miss my aluminum polished wheels on my old truck. So far I've only found 1 wheel I like that has a brushed finish. The Grid GF-2 in brushed finish.
post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 10:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT View Post
Who gives a shit what's in style, buy what you like. This is my 2007 Colorado, Z71 3LT with stock chrome rims, oem chrome grill and Firestones. Chrome and white letters, FTW. And black rims have been around a lot longer than 10 years. Try more like sixty years with the rat racers from the 1950's. They were the poor mans way of fixing rust.

My new set of tires will have white lettering too. I did one quick photo shop pic of white lettering on my truck already just to see. And, I still want more chrome on my new truck eventually. I really miss not having a chrome rear bumper though I am starting to like the body color handles and mirrors.
Both trucks look great JBT!!! I've got the WT trim extended cab and I'm liking the look of those wheels with the white letters - you are giving me the idea to hunt for those wheels for a good price while I don't need rubber yet and then upgrade when I do. Same approach on took on my last ride... Seen some good sets here already but not local to me.
Also - not to further derail OP's thread but how do you like the full bed rug? I'm looking at doing that for under my tonneau cover.
JBT likes this.
post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:08 AM
JBT

Garage
Quote:
Both trucks look great JBT!!! I've got the WT trim extended cab and I'm liking the look of those wheels with the white letters - you are giving me the idea to hunt for those wheels for a good price while I don't need rubber yet and then upgrade when I do. Same approach on took on my last ride... Seen some good sets here already but not local to me.
Also - not to further derail OP's thread but how do you like the full bed rug? I'm looking at doing that for under my tonneau cover.
Thanks for the compliment. As, for the Z71 rims, you can find them so cheap right now I would definitely get a set. They are nice looking rims. As for the bedrug, I really like them. I have had three of them so far. I guess it depends on what you haul in your truck. I carry a bunch of materials and sometimes small bakers scaffolding, and have even slept on them with a thin foam mat and a sleeping bag and was very comfortable. They are completely water proof and once I dumped a whole gallon of paint on one and hosed it down and scrubbed it until it was clean. I was impressed. The only time I really had to vacuum it was after carrying fire wood. Things do slide around on them more than a sprayed bed liner. And, I wouldn't want one if I carry dirt or mulch a lot, but my last one was nine years old and had made tons of hauling trips from Jersey to Florida and was still like brand new. They are tough. Also, if you put a cap on the bed and have to climb in there, the bedrug is a lot easier on the knees as the foam is designed to fill in the ribs on the bed floor so you don't feel them. They definitely blow away any piece of rug you could put down and they fit perfect. Good luck and thanks.

Last edited by JBT; 04-19-2017 at 01:31 AM.
post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:23 AM
JBT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
I like the combo of the white letters and wheels on JBT's truck Those stock wheels, with their clean and classic design, hearken back to the white letter tire days.
Yeah, I really like that look, but I'm a product of the 1970's at heart, when chrome mags like Cragars were the best. Black rims were around but not so much.
doug5336 likes this.

Last edited by JBT; 04-19-2017 at 12:30 AM.
post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
I'm waiting for the return of the 8 track player.
JBT likes this.

2017 2WD Colorado Z71 CCSB. Graphite Metallic V-6.
post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 05:34 PM

I have seen some people destroy high end vehicles. I saw a Mercedes a few days back, and the entire vehicle was painted flat black. I also saw a Jeep Wrangler, painted in Linex bedliner material. I just don't get it.
JBT likes this.

post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug5336 View Post
I have seen some people destroy high end vehicles. I saw a Mercedes a few days back, and the entire vehicle was painted flat black. I also saw a Jeep Wrangler, painted in Linex bedliner material. I just don't get it.
I used to live in SoCal ack in the 90s. Was walking through a parking lot for my gym and saw an AMG V12 Mercedes all lowered, flamed out, purple high glitter metallic paint, big azz wheels. Holy crap, I thought - who would do that to an AMG Merc? Got inside the gym and Dennis Rodman was in there. That explained that
JBT and doug5336 like this.

'17 Canyon SLT CCLB 4X4 Diesel, Bronze Alloy, Cocoa/Dune interior. Line-x.
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:16 PM
JBT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug5336 View Post
You will see that stuff here for sure. I guarantee it. Hey, how does the Linex look on my fenders? I love it man. Thumbs up. Maybe you should do the hood too.
doug5336 likes this.

Last edited by JBT; 04-19-2017 at 08:26 PM.
post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT View Post
You will see that stuff here for sure. I guarantee it. Hey, how does the Linex look on my fenders? I love it man. Thumbs up. Maybe you should do the hood too.
I think it looks almost as good as the idiots with the offset crooked looking wheels. They scream, "Hey everybody, look at me! My car has the appearance of having a bent axle!" Retarded designs, which they actually make money off of. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JBT likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode