The exact moment black wheels became uncool - Page 3 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:47 PM
JBT

Garage
About 10 to 15 years from now everyone will be buying chrome again. The attitude is already changing on this website. What comes around, goes to shit again. Lol. Gotta love chrome.

2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 V6 4x4 Extended Cab
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
I used to live in SoCal ack in the 90s. Was walking through a parking lot for my gym and saw an AMG V12 Mercedes all lowered, flamed out, purple high glitter metallic paint, big azz wheels. Holy crap, I thought - who would do that to an AMG Merc? Got inside the gym and Dennis Rodman was in there. That explained that
Rodman? No surprise there!! Maybe he could buy one for his boyfriend in North Korea? What was his name again? Long Duk Dong?
Warghost and Duken4evr like this.

2017 2WD Colorado Z71 CCSB. Graphite Metallic V-6.
post #43 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 04:00 PM

Garage
I can't stand chrome, never did. On the fence when it comes to black. Love aluminum though. Thinking of turning the grey portions of my Z71 wheels red. Would love input from someone about that. Don't want to paint them... yet. Anybody ever used vinyl tape for something like that? if so, what brand would be the most durable? Is this something plasti-dip would be used for? never tried the stuff.

2017 Colorado Z71 (2WD), Cajun Red, V6, Tow, GM Sportbar w/lights, Vinyl "Performance" striping, 4" Westin Nerf Bars, BAK Revolver X2 roll up bed cover (modified), Bed LED lights
post #44 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferg Z71 View Post
I can't stand chrome, never did. On the fence when it comes to black. Love aluminum though. Thinking of turning the grey portions of my Z71 wheels red. Would love input from someone about that. Don't want to paint them... yet. Anybody ever used vinyl tape for something like that? if so, what brand would be the most durable? Is this something plasti-dip would be used for? never tried the stuff.
3M 1080 is the best, works well for chevy badges too!

Rob A Brewster
Designer, Fabricator, Millwright
http://robabrewster.wixsite.com/rob-brewster-customs
post #45 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 02:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT View Post
You will see that stuff here for sure. I guarantee it. Hey, how does the Linex look on my fenders? I love it man. Thumbs up. Maybe you should do the hood too.
One of my roommates Line-x'ed his Kia Sportage. It needed a paint job badly, and this was the cheap way out. It actually looks good as he has hand made front and rear off road bumpers, and a homemeade snorkel on it. We call it the zombie apocalypse Kia.
JBT likes this.

2015 Rally Yellow Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab (14k) "Colly"

MODS: 2016 Trail Boss sport bar and lights, Backing plates on sport bar for "Colorado" badge painted Rally Yellow, Westin brush guard with winch tray, Trailmaster 6000 lb winch, Rough Country light bar, Window tint, soft tonneau cover
post #46 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 02:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman01 View Post
One of my roommates Line-x'ed his Kia Sportage. It needed a paint job badly, and this was the cheap way out. It actually looks good as he has hand made front and rear off road bumpers, and a homemeade snorkel on it. We call it the zombie apocalypse Kia.
The entire car?? That thing must be really heavy now!! Does if have a stock engine in it or is it supercharged?

2017 GMC Canyon All Terrain X Quick Silver Metallic
post #47 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to haulingnothing
For better or worse, Line-X of the whole vehicle is a thing in the Jeep community: (Not mine)
colorado_3180 likes this.

2016 Colorado - 2WD Extended Cab LT V6 - Laser Blue - Shoreline Edition

Plasti-Dipped badges - Air dam delete - DRL switch mod - OPT7 LED low beams - Moroso catch can - Pedal Commander

Last edited by haulingnothing; 05-01-2017 at 03:02 PM.
post #48 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 09:22 PM
JBT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman01 View Post
Those type of mods work great with older vehicles. We use to do that stuff to old beat up trucks. Hence, blacking things out with cans of black rustoleum. I'm just amazed when someone does it to their brand new car or truck. Hey, it's theirs, and I just watch in awe.
GraniteBlue05 and doug5336 like this.

post #49 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT View Post
Those type of mods work great with older vehicles. We use to do that stuff to old beat up trucks. Hence, blacking things out with cans of black rustoleum. I'm just amazed when someone does it to their brand new car or truck. Hey, it's theirs, and I just watch in awe.
Exactly....

Besides that .... What's it gonna look like in 5 years? Sun faded, weather worn, starts to peel off and get 'crackly'. What's the condition of the paint underneath? How much would it cost to remove that crap and go back to a normal paint job? OMG...... no!! LOL

Speaking of black wheels. My husbands Infinity came from the factory with black wheels. His car wouldn't look the same without them.
http://www.lieblweb.com/cpg/albums/T...l_IMG_3570.JPG

Anyone have photoshop skills and wanna make my wheels black? I'm getting some black vinyl graphics put on this week and I would love to see what the truck looks like with the OEM's in black. I'll get back to ya on that (after the graphics).
Fubar2016 likes this.

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #50 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastStarr68 View Post
The entire car?? That thing must be really heavy now!! Does if have a stock engine in it or is it supercharged?

I would assume they thin the spray to keep the coating thickness down and reduce the weight and the cost. But I makes perfect sense for Jeep or any other off-roaders...

2000 Supercharged Miata
2003 GMC Envoy SLT
2017 GMC 4WD Canyon Denali
post #51 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 08:07 AM
JBT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post

Anyone have photoshop skills and wanna make my wheels black? I'm getting some black vinyl graphics put on this week and I would love to see what the truck looks like with the OEM's in black. I'll get back to ya on that (after the graphics).
Post a couple good quality photos of it after the graphics are put on and I'm sure someone can do that.
Janster likes this.

post #52 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 02:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastStarr68 View Post
Nope, stock engine still. I don't think the stuff adds as much weight as people think. It's his plaything and he loves it.

BeastStarr68 likes this.

2015 Rally Yellow Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab (14k) "Colly"

MODS: 2016 Trail Boss sport bar and lights, Backing plates on sport bar for "Colorado" badge painted Rally Yellow, Westin brush guard with winch tray, Trailmaster 6000 lb winch, Rough Country light bar, Window tint, soft tonneau cover

Last edited by Wolfman01; 05-02-2017 at 02:09 PM.
post #53 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 08:35 PM

To each their own..

To me, nothing looks better on our trucks than the black powder coated LT wheels that come on the Trailboss...
post #54 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richjt92 View Post
I would assume they thin the spray to keep the coating thickness down and reduce the weight and the cost. But I makes perfect sense for Jeep or any other off-roaders...
Makes even more sense for Jeep interiors (floor boards). :)
Come back from an offroading adventure and hose out the inside & outside.
I miss that Jeep.....

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #55 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 04:28 PM

Garage
save the chrome for the petes and kenny's you old farts ;)

2015 red hot ext cab z71
post #56 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 01:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteBlue05 View Post
Yeah, was never a fan of the all or mostly black theme. And plastidip just screams cheap to me. Now we have Nissan completing this now boring color(?) scheme.
Even black wheels cannot make a Nissan cool.

But I must admit that black wheels look really nice on a Colorado!
post #57 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warghost View Post
Even black wheels cannot make a Nissan cool.

But I must admit that black wheels look really nice on a Colorado!
Black wheels, yes as an accent or contrast. There are a LOT of great looking black after market wheels or even the factory ones that are available. But the platidip and home brew attempts just kind of come off tacky IMHO.

But each to there own !

2017 2WD Colorado LT V6 CCSB Luxury & Convenience Pkgs, Black/Ashen Gray Leather, Bullet Bedliner, ARE cap.
post #58 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 07:52 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteBlue05 View Post
Black wheels, yes as an accent or contrast. There are a LOT of great looking black after market wheels or even the factory ones that are available. But the platidip and home brew attempts just kind of come off tacky IMHO.

But each to there own !
I agree. I'm not into plasti-dipping anything because I've seen how easily it can come off. I had my black wheels powder coated, but my truck is silver. I removed all the chrome badge/letters too. A good contrast is always nice but I'll always love black on black too, it's just a nightmare to keep looking nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode