The exact moment black wheels became uncool - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to haulingnothing
The exact moment black wheels became uncool

For the record, I still like black wheels.

HOWEVER, we've reached a turning point. It's rare you can point to an exact moment when a style becomes mainstream. I present to you Nissan's Midnight Edition, where they put black wheels on almost every model they make and then market them to soccer moms:

Thanks for nothing Nissan. Everything is cyclical, so I guess chrome will start to get popular again now. In the meantime I'm gonna head out to the garage and get to work with some pink plasti-dip.
Toughsox, RatRacer, Dmax16 and 1 others like this.

2016 Colorado - 2WD Extended Cab LT V6 - Laser Blue - Shoreline Edition

Plasti-Dipped badges - Air dam delete - DRL switch mod - OPT7 LED low beams - Moroso catch can - Pedal Commander
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 09:46 AM

Garage
I was thinking the same thing, after seeing the commercial the 1st time and smh.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 10:12 AM

Haha hahaha.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
HVreal likes this.

2008 GMC Canyon, 3.7 I5, Off Road 4x4, Inferno Orange.
post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 10:17 AM

I also Agree I'm in the market for some wheels - seems all the big wheel company's seem to be leaning to the Gloss black / Matte black Style Rims..

Very frustrating!!

The new thing in my opinion will be custom painted multi color/Finish Forged Wheels I like but ill be damned I'm spending 1K+ per rim.. Ill leave that to the silver spoon babies...

The lug pattern for the Twins is riddled with massive positive offsets - I love my 2016 Chevy Colorado 2.8LT Duramax but damn the more I look at the stance the more I think it looks like 2x4 rolling down the road.

This is by far the most challenging truck to outfit with custom touches I've owned. - Still bone stock " for now "..

I despise Wheel adapters but I really want my old Fuel Dune D522 Chrome wheels back - super easy to clean and simple good looking wheels..

Personally I hate Black Wheels - they are a PITA to keep Clean and scratch free.. bad enough I got sucked into a BLACK Truck again after I told myself never again. :) "Bangs Head On desk" ..

Fads come and go - Pick what you want and like, who gives a shit what other people think... thats my motto.

Grammar Nazis have at it :) This is a Truck Forum not and College Term Paper !!

Time will tell but everything is on hold - holding out for some more options before I'm pulling the trigger..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fuel_Dune_Chrome-L-1000.jpg (108.6 KB, 92 views)
JBT likes this.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 10:37 AM

Most people don't know or care enough to take care of black, so don't worry, soon it will be a dull dark gray due to all the car wash swirls. Ha

'17 Crew V6, sound system done, Build log of system.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 11:25 AM

Yeah, was never a fan of the all or mostly black theme. And plastidip just screams cheap to me. Now we have Nissan completing this now boring color(?) scheme.

I guess it's ok if you are going for sort of the "Mad Max" sort of look. I know some do it to look bad azz or have a pseudo trashed motif.
To me, it just accelerates the age of the vehicle and starts off making it look old especially if the vehicle isn't taken care of.

Also, if a person is concerned about resale value, there is also the question of how much *black out* will appeal to other buyers. I know. . . I know, not a concern for most who do it.

Also, for those who might remember, it reminds me too much of those in the past who would "black primer" a whole car and have the exhaust system hanging loose along with other "artifacts".
JScottM and Two Door like this.

2017 2WD Colorado LT V6 Luxury & Convenience Pkgs, Black/Ashen Gray Leather, Bullet Bedliner, ARE cap.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 11:30 AM

There is so little creativity on wheels anymore. So many look alike and tend to be way overdone.

Note many wheel companies are struggling with the cheap imports. I am not sure on the status of Centerline wheel but it is not looking good at the moment.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 12:39 PM

Garage
I do not buy because of what other people think is "cool"...I bought my wheels because I like the look of them...

My dad is constantly laughing at guys that murder out their newer vehicles...thinks it is hilarious that "someone would want their vehicle to look like they are color blind or don't have enough money for a paint Job" and black wheels give him the giggles as well...thinks they look like cheap azz steel wheels...again, to him they look like "the owner has no money/is poor".
Ibmikey, JScottM and Two Door like this.

'16 EC LB 3.6L V-6
2" RC leveling kit & 1.25" RC body lift
Airdam delete
Raptorliner DIY bedliner
Method Grid Wheels -Special Thanks to JT@Bajakits with stainless beadlock bolts
Falken Wildpeak AT3 265/70/17
NFAB W2W nerf bars/steps
OEM fog light kit
OEM fender flares

As soon as $$ permits...Bajakits Upper A-arms and King coilovers and rear shocks.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 12:41 PM

Garage
That part where the little dream crusher skidded into the paint and made that rad design was the tits. <sarcasm>

2016 Colorado Extended Cab 2wd Cyber Metallic Gray
It's almost as pretty as a Canyon
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 01:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by haulingnothing View Post
...they put black wheels on almost every model they make and then market them to soccer moms ...
Great sendup!
jbjlock26 likes this.
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 01:07 PM
JBT

Garage
@Garrettb189 , Your dad sounds like a man with good taste. I like his opinion. When we were young, the only vehicles that were painted flat black were the kids cars with no money trying to hide the rust. Rustoleum spray paint from the basement or garage.
Two Door and doug5336 like this.

2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 V6 4x4 Extended Cab
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 01:24 PM

Everything is cool till everyone else copies it.

That is the incentive to be original.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 01:45 PM

Meh, I still like my Midnight Edition!!! The Duratracs give it some attitude.
beefymc likes this.

2016 Z71 Midnight Edition Colorado w/ Duramax and Bose/Nav.
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 01:59 PM

Kind of reminds me of tattoos. Used to be that only the men in a rough crowd (mostly bikers and gangbangers) would get tattoos. Now everyone that wants to portray an image of being "edgy" gets them, even women and high school kids.
doug5336 likes this.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 02:54 PM

Commercial is lame and laughable that Nissan is just adding black wheels to every model for a "new edition"
A lot of cars can pull off black wheels better than other styles, but not every dang car

I absolutely HATE chrome though so still better than that imo
The only vehicles that can have chrome are classics that came with it or some highend sports car. Everything else so tacky and gawdy

2016 Red Rock LT CC SB v6 4x4

Eibach Shocks all around w/GM rear blocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo tonneau, Bull rings, Zevo LEDs, Westin steps, Fog Lights w/JDMAstar LED, Rear LED pods, Lumen G7s LED Headlights, Factory Remote Start, Dash Cam w/Invisicord, Husky Liners, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread
Front bumper removal How-To
Rear Shock/lift Blocks How-To
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 03:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser67 View Post
... The only vehicles that can have chrome are classics that came with it or some highend sports car. Everything else so tacky and gawdy
It's a matter of taste, but my Colorado WT has so little chrome I don't think it can fairly be called "gaudy."

I did like my old Isuzu Impulse, which had absolutely no chrome except a tine trim ring on the lighter.
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 04:03 PM

I agree I used to hate chrome but it just works in my sandstone Canyon SLT. After my recent comp claim I thought long and hard about swapping out the chrome grill for a color matched painted one but I just like the chrome to well.
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH1618 View Post
It's a matter of taste, but my Colorado WT has so little chrome I don't think it can fairly be called "gaudy."

I did like my old Isuzu Impulse, which had absolutely no chrome except a tine trim ring on the lighter.
I mostly meant chrome wheels but overall I don't like chrome and have dipped most of my chrome trim/badges

2016 Red Rock LT CC SB v6 4x4

Eibach Shocks all around w/GM rear blocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo tonneau, Bull rings, Zevo LEDs, Westin steps, Fog Lights w/JDMAstar LED, Rear LED pods, Lumen G7s LED Headlights, Factory Remote Start, Dash Cam w/Invisicord, Husky Liners, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread
Front bumper removal How-To
Rear Shock/lift Blocks How-To
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 11:14 PM

Garage
Nothing will ever beat these wheels:

2017 Ice Silver Metallic Colorado CCSB 4x4 Z71 Duramax

post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 12:22 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawman View Post
Nothing will ever beat these wheels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QauskWNb8KQ
That was never cool....
Two Door likes this.

'16 EC LB 3.6L V-6
2" RC leveling kit & 1.25" RC body lift
Airdam delete
Raptorliner DIY bedliner
Method Grid Wheels -Special Thanks to JT@Bajakits with stainless beadlock bolts
Falken Wildpeak AT3 265/70/17
NFAB W2W nerf bars/steps
OEM fog light kit
OEM fender flares

As soon as $$ permits...Bajakits Upper A-arms and King coilovers and rear shocks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode