Would a 6 speed to 8 speed/LFX to LGZ swap be feasible in the future? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 10Likes
  • 1 Post By fondupot
  • 1 Post By CaryBosse
  • 2 Post By haulingnothing
  • 2 Post By GraniteBlue05
  • 1 Post By JScottM
  • 3 Post By Mallett Performance Cars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Would a 6 speed to 8 speed/LFX to LGZ swap be feasible in the future?

Purely hypothetical here. Obviously I'm not going to specifically go out of my way to do this swap. But, if say, the old LFX and 6 speed were to go out at some point, do you all think it would be feasible to swap them for the 8l50e and LGZ? I'd imagine that there would need to be some work done to the ECM/TCM. Not sure whether it would only require a reflash or a complete replacement of them. Thoughts?

2016 Canyon All-Terrain 4x4 3.6L v6 ECLB
BNR Tune via Diablosport i2
Corsa cat-back
Amsoil fluids bumper to bumper
Speedliner spray-on bedliner
Weathertech floor mats
AVS hood deflector and window visors
A.R.E MX bed cap w/ Yakima roof rack
Undercover Swingcases
Carhartt seat covers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 11:10 AM

I'm sure it could be done. For a price.
GraniteBlue05 likes this.

2017 Chevy Colorado Z71, Crew Cab, Short Bed, LGZ 3.6L, 8L45 8 Spd.

How to Videos - Check out my YouTube Channel!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 11:22 AM

Think I read somewhere that the bell housing bolt patterns where different between the two.

On Edit: Never mind I first read this and thought the OP wanted to put the 8 spd. behind the LFX. I need better reading comp. LOL

2016 Colorado CCLB 4X4 Brownstone

Last edited by Tucker; 04-17-2017 at 11:30 AM.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 11:24 AM

Garage
There would have to be a lot of research including engine/transmission mount locations and drivehaft length. If someone was going to drop a completely different engine set-up in a 2015-2016 twin, heck with a V-6 if it is going to require mods. Has anybody dropped a v-8 in one of these?

2016 Equinox LT AWD/ 3.6 V6 /Patriot Blue
2017 Colorado LT 4WD Extended Cab/ 3.6 V6/ Silver Ice Metallic
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseih View Post
There would have to be a lot of research including engine/transmission mount locations and drivehaft length. If someone was going to drop a completely different engine set-up in a 2015-2016 twin, heck with a V-6 if it is going to require mods. Has anybody dropped a v-8 in one of these?
V8, yes.

Project Voided Warranty round 2 - L83 5.3L V8 and turbo

680 miles too many... time for the V8.
Toughsox likes this.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 11:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to haulingnothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Conway View Post
Purely hypothetical here. Obviously I'm not going to specifically go out of my way to do this swap. But, if say, the old LFX and 6 speed were to go out at some point, do you all think it would be feasible to swap them for the 8l50e and LGZ? I'd imagine that there would need to be some work done to the ECM/TCM. Not sure whether it would only require a reflash or a complete replacement of them. Thoughts?
Seems like the biggest hurdle would be getting all the electronics to play nice together. IMO if someone was considering a project with so many unknowns, may as well make it worthwhile and swap in something you couldn't just walk into a dealer and buy (e.g. a V8 ).
CaryBosse and JScottM like this.

2016 Colorado - 2WD Extended Cab LT V6 - Laser Blue - Shoreline Edition

Plasti-Dipped badges - Air dam delete - DRL switch mod - OPT7 LED low beams - Moroso catch can - Pedal Commander
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 12:06 PM

Garage
If it was going to be a V6 to V6 swap, I'd personally go for the LGX/8L45e out of a Camaro, for the extra ponies and driving modes.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fondupot View Post
I'm sure it could be done. For a price.
The most sensible post here.
fondupot and JScottM like this.

2017 2WD Colorado LT V6 CCSB Luxury & Convenience Pkgs, Black/Ashen Gray Leather, Bullet Bedliner, ARE cap.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 03:03 PM

If you were to do it today the cost would be more than you want to pay and you would kill about any warranty you can think of here.

Now take the truck and trade up for a new one you would take a small hit and keep warranty and all future trade value.

Physically it could be done but the cost of it is just way out of line with reality to what you would give up.

Now ten years from now you can pick these engines up cheap but even then it would cost more than the truck would be worth.

Either be happy with what you have or trade if you need the new engine that bad.

The only engine swap here that would make sense is the Camaro swap or a V8 if you don't mind killing the warranty. At least these are enough to draw added value to someone if you should ever sell it later.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperv6 View Post
If you were to do it today the cost would be more than you want to pay and you would kill about any warranty you can think of here.

Now take the truck and trade up for a new one you would take a small hit and keep warranty and all future trade value.

Physically it could be done but the cost of it is just way out of line with reality to what you would give up.

Now ten years from now you can pick these engines up cheap but even then it would cost more than the truck would be worth.

Either be happy with what you have or trade if you need the new engine that bad.

The only engine swap here that would make sense is the Camaro swap or a V8 if you don't mind killing the warranty. At least these are enough to draw added value to someone if you should ever sell it later.
Reread the first 3 sentences of my post.

2016 Canyon All-Terrain 4x4 3.6L v6 ECLB
BNR Tune via Diablosport i2
Corsa cat-back
Amsoil fluids bumper to bumper
Speedliner spray-on bedliner
Weathertech floor mats
AVS hood deflector and window visors
A.R.E MX bed cap w/ Yakima roof rack
Undercover Swingcases
Carhartt seat covers
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Reread the first 3 sentences of my post.
The reality is Cost would hypothetically render a swap like this moot. Then you have the rest of the issues.

As for the computer most times they can be reflashed as they use the same unit most times but not all. Generally if you are getting a new package you take the computer with it. That is what most engine swap guys do as they take the harness and all. Or they buy a aftermarket harness if offered like for most LS engine. I do not see a harness being offered here since few will be swapped compared to the LS.

My post was just saying it was not feasible or wise at this point.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 04:30 PM

You can, but you're also throwing away the engine in this plan, and even though its the same displacement with basically the same HP, the new engine seems to have a lot more power under the curve, just going by feel (and trying to ignore the differences in transmission and ECU calibration.)

I guess what I'm saying is, why not just replace BOTH (or just trade in and buy.)

I get the theory but reality and theory don't play out the same too often. Certainly not in my field of experience.

'17 Crew V6, Build log of sound system / Build log of rest of truck modifications
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 08:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to Kevdrisk
i would just do a 5.3 with the A8 behind it
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 10:49 PM

Screw that, twin turbo v6 LF4 from the ATS-V. If you're going to spend all the time swapping engines and trans for basically the same engine, make it worth it!

2016 Red Rock LT CC SB v6 4x4

Eibach Shocks all around w/GM rear blocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo tonneau, Bull rings, Zevo LEDs, Westin steps, Fog Lights w/JDMAstar LED, Rear LED pods, Lumen G7s LED Headlights, Factory Remote Start, Dash Cam w/Invisicord, Husky Liners, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread
Front bumper removal How-To
Rear Shock/lift Blocks How-To
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 02:47 AM

Garage
Quote:
In the future when the wiring harnesses, ECM, BCM, engine, transmission are available at a junkyard maybe. But who knows if the rest is compatible? Like the DIC. Want to change out all the dash stuff too? I think the idea is silly...thats my thoughts..... unless you have an unlimited amount of money then go for it....lol
GraniteBlue05 likes this.

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6
AS level/lift 2.5" w/1" rear block and diff drop
275/70-17 Cooper AT3 on MotoMetal 970s
Scary, evil looking, black, warranty voiding catch can
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 04:52 PM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser67 View Post
Screw that, twin turbo v6 LF4 from the ATS-V. If you're going to spend all the time swapping engines and trans for basically the same engine, make it worth it!
Agreed. If you're gonna swap it, might as well double your horsepower.
kaiser67, dave66rivi and JScottM like this.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 09:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallett Performance Cars View Post
Agreed. If you're gonna swap it, might as well double your horsepower.
Or just get a supercharger, way cheaper and easier. Way more power too. Right?!?

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6
AS level/lift 2.5" w/1" rear block and diff drop
275/70-17 Cooper AT3 on MotoMetal 970s
Scary, evil looking, black, warranty voiding catch can
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode