Did I warp my hood trying to fix flutter? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By ferg Z71
  • 1 Post By jburbs22
  • 1 Post By hyperv6

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Did I warp my hood trying to fix flutter?

So I got rid of the hood flutter on my '17 Canyon by injecting Great Stuff foam into it, but it looks like my hood now has some waving in the area where I applied the foam. I don't know if this wave was already there or if I caused it. They look even on both sides, so I'm not sure. I tried to capture it with my camera, but I had some trouble due to the black reflecting. Thoughts? If you have the same hood would you check to see if you have some undulating or slight wave toward the back of the hood near the windshield?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 10:54 PM

It does not look normal to me, but I have a Colorado.....but still, under that light it looks a little warped.

How does it look outside though? Might just be the angles and the lighting you are using.

2005 5 cyl, Black on Black, 4 door
2016 Z71, Black, Long Box, 4 door
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughsox View Post
It does not look normal to me, but I have a Colorado.....but still, under that light it looks a little warped.

How does it look outside though? Might just be the angles and the lighting you are using.

Yes, it looks a little warped when I look at it at certain angles, but it looks exactly the same on both sides. It also doesn't look like an abrupt hump or blob, which is why I'm unsure.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 11:13 PM

I wouldnt use expandable foam inside a hood
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 11:14 PM

Garage
Great Stuff foam expands several times the amount that is applied. It is also going to dry under high heat to the point of turning into a powder. I am by no means and expert, but I would try to remove as much as I could
Toughsox likes this.

2017 Colorado Z71 (2WD), Cajun Red, V6, Tow, GM Sportbar w/lights, Vinyl "Performance" striping, 4" Westin Nerf Bars, BAK Revolver X2 roll up bed cover (modified), Bed LED lights
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 11:27 PM

Foam is ok as GM recommends it for professional repairs.

Any a I mean any adjustments should be fine eith care if you have little experience.

Trust me I learned this the hard way myself.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 11:27 PM

I would be worried it would expands too much as it sounds like yours may have, also if you ever get a ding or any damage too it. It is going to make it very hard for a bodyshop to work with it
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 11:27 PM

Garage
Where did you apply it?

The tsb is specific on where it needs to be filled with Kent® Ure-Foam Expandable Foam Sound Deadener

2015 Z71 2WD Crew Cab Long Bed Cyber Grey Metallic

Ready Lift 2.0 leveling kit, OEM Fender Flares, WeatherTech Mudflaps, Morimoto HID Kit, K&N 63 Series intake, JBA Catback Exhaust, Rough Country Hidden Bumper Mounts and 30" Light Bar, 17" Black Rhino Tanay wheels, Goodyear Duratracs, Go Rhino Sport Bar 2.0
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

I found some pictures I took from when I first bought the truck. Looks like the warping wasn't there.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
Where did you apply it?

The tsb is specific on where it needs to be filled with Kent® Ure-Foam Expandable Foam Sound Deadener
Yes, I referenced the TSB, and applied it into the second hole from the outside in.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 11:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules View Post
Yes, I referenced the TSB, and applied it into the second hole from the outside in.
You said you used Great Stuff, not Kent. That is the part that concerns me. I put great stuff in a wall once, and it pushed the drywall off the studs.

2017 Colorado Z71 (2WD), Cajun Red, V6, Tow, GM Sportbar w/lights, Vinyl "Performance" striping, 4" Westin Nerf Bars, BAK Revolver X2 roll up bed cover (modified), Bed LED lights
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 11:59 PM

What type of great stuff did you use
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburbs22 View Post
What type of great stuff did you use

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 12:32 AM

What does the hood look like on engine side where the warping occured? Im guessing the foam made its way into a tight channel between the hood and expanded pushing the metal apart. And due to the channel being the same on both side thats why you experience identical warping on both sides
ferg Z71 likes this.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 08:22 AM

May be we should call this Not So Great Stuff.

I wager the non Kent material just expended and harder than the recommended Kent Moore material. Most sound deadening is more a rubberized like material that is a coating where this stuff here is to fill gaps in buildings.

Odds are it did change the shape of the hood as it is hard to tell in the photos but my GMC has no dimple there.

Odds of removing the material are poor too as that stuff is a mess when you get it where you don't want it and can't cut it away.
ferg Z71 likes this.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
I found some pictures I took from when I first bought the truck. Looks like the warping wasn't there.
I do not have any warping on my Colorado hood either. Also, do not notice any flutter so far on my 2017.

I do know that the hood metal is easily deflected and not as stiff as years back. I just applied the AVS Aeroskin hood protector which adheres with 3M tape. I was surprised how easily even the front edge of the hood and corners can deflect with moderate to firm pressure.

2017 2WD Colorado LT V6 CCSB Luxury & Convenience Pkgs, Black/Ashen Gray Leather, Bullet Bedliner, ARE cap.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 09:09 AM

I wouldn't be using regular Great Stuff, but GREAT STUFF Window and Door which has minimal expansion...even so there is a dealer TBS out on this, probably better to have them deal with it so if they mess it up they cover it.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 09:33 AM

Garage
Curious if you tried to adjust the hood prior to the foam fix. My '17 Colorado had a fairly aggressive flutter and I lowered the center latch around 1/8"~1/4" and raised the outer 4 bump stops and it eliminated all (90% +) of the flutter.

I was pretty surprised at the results, as it was amazing how that simple adjustment did the trick.

Foam would have been my next option, but it's a non issue now.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
So I got rid of the hood flutter on my '17 Canyon by injecting Great Stuff foam into it,

2017 Chevy Colorado Z71, Crew Cab, Short Bed, LGZ 3.6L, 8L45 8 Spd.

How to Videos - Check out my YouTube Channel!
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburbs22 View Post
What does the hood look like on engine side where the warping occured? Im guessing the foam made its way into a tight channel between the hood and expanded pushing the metal apart. And due to the channel being the same on both side thats why you experience identical warping on both sides
It's covered up now with the heat shield. But that sounds like a possibility. I'll need to check later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperv6 View Post
May be we should call this Not So Great Stuff.
Ha! I had read some folks using it for this purpose with success. If anything, hope this serves as a caution for others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohccammer427 View Post
Curious if you tried to adjust the hood prior to the foam fix. My '17 Colorado had a fairly aggressive flutter and I lowered the center latch around 1/8"~1/4" and raised the outer 4 bump stops and it eliminated all (90% +) of the flutter.

I was pretty surprised at the results, as it was amazing how that simple adjustment did the trick.

Foam would have been my next option, but it's a non issue now.
I did try the adjust as per the guidance that's out there but it didn't fix the flutter, so I proceeded with the foam.

Thanks everyone for all your feedback on this and confirming what I thought happened. I'll just learn to live with it. I'm thinking of considering it my new mod as it looks like my hood has some fangs to it. Maybe I'll go for a wolf theme

Last edited by Hercules; 05-24-2017 at 10:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode