ABLS Nissan vs Locking Differential.... - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2005, 12:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default ABLS Nissan vs Locking Differential....

I know this topic has been covered like crazy...and I sort of understand the difference between limited slip and locking differential.

But does anyone know the difference between Nissan Frontier's ABLS Limited Slip and the Canyon's Locking diff? What is the ABLS part?

Thanks.......
sapaws is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2005, 11:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Destructo

well, if the locking differential in the chevy is anything like the gov-loc which I think it is, I would much rather buy an open differential and put my own locker in, the gov-loc doesn't withstand much and they are actually pretty week, the one in my 85 Chevy K10 that I swapped in a 12 bolt is proof of that.

2005 Chevrolet Colorado Z85 with the Street Pack, Victory Red.
Destructo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2005, 11:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

From what I read, the Nissan system uses the brakes to trick the differential. When it senses one wheel slipping, it applies the brake to that wheel, that would theoretically transfer power to the other side of the differential. I couldn't figure out if this worked with limited slip, or with the open differential only. Either way, it is a interesting sounding approach to the problem. I remember my dad doing something similar in an old station wagon, applying the parking brake slightly to get both wheel turning. Not sure how well it worked.

The Gov Loc is a older approach, but one that is well tested. It doesn't require any external input. Yeah, they are not the strongest things in the world, but they do work.

Each system would appear to have its own pros and cons. As to which on is better, I guess that would depend on which brand you owned.

09 Ford Escape Hybrid 4X4, wifes car.

07 Chevy Colorado Ex. Cab Z71 2 wd, I5 and Auto (my work truck)
mmckenna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2005, 03:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to 05colorado Send a message via Yahoo to 05colorado

just like traction control on Big Rigs.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

It's not a Gov-lock, but same idea.

It's an AAM TracRiteªLK - here is the description from AAM's website.

Quote:
AAM's locking differential locks the drive axles together using either speed or driver control as input. While this differential is one of the most durable differentials we offer, it also provides the best traction control available.
ARE LSII, BedRug, 20% Tint, Emergency Lights, Höen Lighting
AdamJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2005, 03:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default Re: ABLS Nissan vs Locking Differential....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapaws
I know this topic has been covered like crazy...and I sort of understand the difference between limited slip and locking differential.
Lockers will make the two wheels spin as one. Limited-slip gives each wheel a little bit of room to turn before turning both wheels. Lockers are hardcore and limited-slips are a compromise between open diffs and lockers. Personally, I would prefer an air locker so I could lock it up at the track or off-road and run as an open diff on the street.

Sounds like Nissan's ABLS does, electronically, what a limited-slip diff would do. Basically it provides a little slip before sending power to the other side. This is good stuff on a truck that drives on the street. Personally, I hate all the electronics on modern day vehicles. I would prefer a manually operated air locker. :)
Old 03-30-2005, 11:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJ
It's not a Gov-lock, but same idea.

It's an AAM TracRiteªLK - here is the description from AAM's website.

Quote:
AAM's locking differential locks the drive axles together using either speed or driver control as input. While this differential is one of the most durable differentials we offer, it also provides the best traction control available.
I should clarify further.

The RPO code for the locker is still G80 (In reference to the Eaton G80 Gov-Lock) any many media outlets still 'claim' the same. However there is also pleanty of discussion that the unit is now being manufactured by AAM using a nearly identical design. So I guess the truth is still out there...
ARE LSII, BedRug, 20% Tint, Emergency Lights, Höen Lighting
AdamJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2005, 10:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmckenna
From what I read, the Nissan system uses the brakes to trick the differential. When it senses one wheel slipping, it applies the brake to that wheel, that would theoretically transfer power to the other side of the differential. I couldn't figure out if this worked with limited slip, or with the open differential only. Either way, it is a interesting sounding approach to the problem. I remember my dad doing something similar in an old station wagon, applying the parking brake slightly to get both wheel turning. Not sure how well it worked.

The Gov Loc is a older approach, but one that is well tested. It doesn't require any external input. Yeah, they are not the strongest things in the world, but they do work.

Each system would appear to have its own pros and cons. As to which on is better, I guess that would depend on which brand you owned.
That same method is used in the origional Hummers... LSD requires that both wheels have at least some tractiong to work. When one wheel has no traction at all (ie is off the ground) the breaks will apply to that wheel to force the diff to send all the torque to the other wheel.

Its a trick I had to use in my F150 alot. The F150 had a read lsd, so when one wheel was off the ground I would get no power to the rear wheels. By just applying the breaks lightly it send most of the traction to the wheel still on the ground and get me out.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:02 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehemi
Sounds like Nissan's ABLS does, electronically, what a limited-slip diff would do. Basically it provides a little slip before sending power to the other side. This is good stuff on a truck that drives on the street. Personally, I hate all the electronics on modern day vehicles. I would prefer a manually operated air locker. :)
You're right -- Nissan's ABLS uses the anti-lock brake system to detect spin and apply the brake to the spinning wheel. Nissan Frontier's NISMO off-roader has (or can be ordered with) an electronic full locker, but it engages only at low speeds, something like 20 (15?) mph or less and disengages above those speeds.

Fitz
Old 03-31-2005, 11:31 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz Ingarage
but it engages only at low speeds, something like 20 (15?) mph or less and disengages above those speeds.

Fitz
Just like the GM. A good idea if you asked my opinion. No reason why anyone should be running fully locked about that speed, unless you are sand dragging or really running in a lot of mud. Stock trucks wouldn't be used that way anyway.

Brings up something I've laughed about before. The TV commercials for SUV's and 4x4 trucks that show people driving way, way too fast off road. Wonder how many people are stupid enough to try driving like that because it "said they could on the commercial"?

Come to think of it, I may have pulled a couple of people out of ditches for doing that sort of stuff.

09 Ford Escape Hybrid 4X4, wifes car.

07 Chevy Colorado Ex. Cab Z71 2 wd, I5 and Auto (my work truck)
mmckenna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.