Got the "Low Oil Warning" light to come on this mo - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2005, 12:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Got the "Low Oil Warning" light to come on this mo

I was on my way to work and barely missed the yellow light. I know I should've just gone through it but there's usually cops around this time and they'll try to say I took it red 'cause I DID have enough time to stop for it (which was the case). Whatever.

Anyhow, I hit the brakes hard, though not hard enough to activate ABS (a.k.a. braking at Impeding Lockup), to the point that I had a nose dive and I felt the tires starting to scrub the pavement (from 70 MPH).

When the truck came to rest at the light, for not even 1/2 second the warning chime went of and caught a glimpse of a red-icon on the lower right. I looked the Manual and that's the location for the Oil-Icon.

I've heard it's possible to make the low-oil light come on under hard cornerning and braking (due to all the oil flowing to one side of the pan, etc) in certain vehicles, but I didn't think it'd be that easy.

Anybody else been able to cause this, either accidentally or on purpose?
Volant CAI w/ RamAir
HPTuners custom tune
200 RWTQ @ 4,200 RPM
207 RWHP @ 5,800 RPM
VortecI5fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2005, 01:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Did you check your oil? Was it low? If it was low or not I think you will find the answer to your question there.

Why would anyone want to do this on purpose?
Conservative Club Member #35

My Gallery
jlong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2005, 02:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Interesting. I had to slam on the brakes with full force when the traffic on I-5 suddenly stoped. I was going about 70-80 mph and was on the phone ordering food to go that i was going to pick up. Not paying attention on the road i was a few seconds slower then i would be if i wasn't on the phone, but anyway, i had the brakes all the way, even felt the ABS. Can't imagine anything harder then that. Stoped about an inch from the vehicle in front of me, but no light came on, nor warrning. Maybe you are low on oil? Or maybe a bad sencor. Don't bother to go to the dealer. They'll tell you everything is operational and normal, unless you can duplicate the problem in front of them to see it.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Dang, I should take better care of my truck. Dipstick says I could use another 1/2 quart or so. Which is weird 'cause I've had other vehicles in the past running dangerously low enough to need a full quart and none ever made the Check Oil light come on when I've slammed the brakes like that. Talk about "different beast". I'm due for an oil change next Friday, so it's pretty convenient timing. I'll just add little bit in the meantime. Light was on and off in less than 1 second, so I know I can't be "that" low.

A guy with the new RX8's said there was a Repair Bulletin on his for a new oil pan. This new one was shaped differently than the "factory" one because, according to him, when he was abusing it on the curves he'd make the Check Oil light come on every other time. No problems since he's got the new pan.
Volant CAI w/ RamAir
HPTuners custom tune
200 RWTQ @ 4,200 RPM
207 RWHP @ 5,800 RPM
VortecI5fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2005, 03:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

I drive moderately hard on my truck and in stop and go traffic every morning and afternoon. I change the oil about every 5K and don’t have to add any oil in between changes. I have about 26k. You may want to get it checked out to see why you were low. Unless you don’t change you oil as often. Then it could be because a little will burn off over time. And it will only burn more as the engine gets miles on it. But you shouldn’t loose ½ quart until the engine has over 100 k on it. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
You should always check you oil every time you fill up for gas!
Conservative Club Member #35

My Gallery
jlong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2005, 06:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Dillusion

Maybe he just didn't put enough last time he changed oil?

But yes there is no way you should be burning that much oil.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

I've had to make a lot of emergency stops myself, one time going from 80 mph to 0 in about 15 seconds (came around a bend and all of a sudden everybody was stopped), came about 1 foot to the stopped car I think.

Anyone else get a metallic grinding feeling when the brakes are fully pressed and going above 45 mph?
Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2005, 11:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Dillusion

I get that griding feeling just yesterday.

I was only driving around a parking lot too.

I let go the brake and pused it again and it was fine.

Looked at my brake pads and they still have plenty of meat left on them. Maybe something just got stuck for a little while between the brake pad and the rotor.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:04 AM   #9 (permalink)

I get it quite a bit, but mainly when I'm taking the truck to a sudden stop. One time I stopped so hard it felt like the truck was gonna jump up and down.
Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2005, 12:58 AM   #10 (permalink)

That "grinding" noise, also described as a loud roar, and the pulse feeling in the pedal is the ABS kicking in.

I had a weird situation today. Was cruising slowly thru downtown and noticed that when I was slowing to stop, it felt like I had a very badly balanced tire or an oval for a wheel. I pulled slowly over toward the curb, and hit the brakes pretty hard. Got a slight chirp from the tire that locked up for a split second. After that, everything was back to normal.

Oops, sorry for hijacking an oil thread.

My Gallery
10,000 Posts Club Member #1
Conservative Club Member #2
Gun Toting American Club Member #3
Danny45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.