bike rack - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 04:46 PM

After scoping out the issues discussed here, I'm probably avoiding the whole bed storage issue and going with a trailer hitch bike rack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 05:19 PM

Garage
I posted this a while ago in a different thread, but thought I would throw it up here in case someone searched bike rack instead of GearOn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image (2).jpg (275.0 KB, 325 views)
post #23 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 02:39 AM

I like the idea of not having to take the front wheel off and I also like the idea of not losing bed space... still debating what I want to do about mounting my mountain bikes

post #24 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 06:59 AM

I may try one of these. It could serve as a bike rack and a cargo securing bar. One nice feature is the feet are flat and are not fixed they articulate. The bar can be mounted below the rails not interfering with my tonneau cover. It is the same as the Saris Kool rack for less money.

Bar
ACS10-PUA LIGHT DUTY BAR with Two Articulating Feet: saveaload

Bike fork mount
BC-10 Bicycle Carrier: saveaload
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (5.8 KB, 71 views)
mrharrybay likes this.

2015 Summit White Colorado Z71 Crewcab V6 SB 2WD Bose, SOLD after 9 months.
post #25 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 08:42 AM

If carrying only one bike, I just roll it into the bed, and lay it down. It even fits under the tonneau cover.

If carrying two bikes, I use two ratchet straps to hold one upright, and lay the second bike down.

If carrying three bikes, I have a rack made from 2x4s that helps keep the bikes standing up and tidy, and I also use a few ratchet straps to hold everything in place.

I have a 6ft bed.

2008 GMC Canyon, 3.7 I5, Off Road 4x4, Inferno Orange.
post #26 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 08:53 AM

Half of the reason, and probably more than half of the usage I will get from my 2" receiver will be for my bike rack. When I look at my Wrangler, probably have towed a trailer a dozen times or so in 6 years, maybe a little more. Primary uses for the 2" receiver were the bike rack and the hitch hauler. I may actually have a hitch hauler to sell now that I have a pickup truck. I don't see a big need for it anymore.

Only downside to the bike rack is that I have to remove it in order to drop the tailgate and get the ice chest out of the bed of the truck. I have seen some really nice bike racks that actually swing out of the way to the side so you can drop a tailgate or raise a liftgate. If I was going to buy a new one, I would spend the extra bucks for that functionality. Mine will pivot down, but I am not sure there is enough clearance to allow the tailgate to be dropped in the mode.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller.
post #27 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 10:49 AM

see the bike rack that mounts in the receiver just won't work for me... i tow a trailer alllllllll theeeeee timeeeeeee. plus I'm not a fan of how it looks. I know most ppl will hate this but I think I might go over the cab with it. I already have the rack just not the bike accessories
post #28 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 01:07 PM

I have a nice older model Yakima hitch rack I can use it does not block the tailgate but want the option of just using the bed for times I don't want to lug the 35lb rack over and bolt it in to the hitch. With the 5' bed if I lay the bike down and the front wheel off to be able to close the tonneau cover it starts to get a little crowded and over time I can see the bikes paint getting damaged. I'm 6'3'' so it is a big frame. Still working the kinks out on what works the best for me and looking for creative ideas.

2015 Summit White Colorado Z71 Crewcab V6 SB 2WD Bose, SOLD after 9 months.
post #29 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 02:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlx10 View Post
I know most ppl will hate this but I think I might go over the cab with it.
I've been considering this for carrying a cargo box. Wouldn't need it often though. I can see myself with a full bed, bikes on the GearOn system, towing a pop up camper, and cargo in the roof box.
post #30 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 01:07 AM

Garage
One of the reasons why I bought truck was to carry bikes without hassle. I ended up with Yakima Bedrock + 66' crossbars + Yakima Frontloaders. Works like a magic Unfortunately you cannot really use any tonneau cover with Bedrocks. I'll figure out something later…
Attached Images
File Type: jpg File Jun 29, 10 03 34 PM.jpg (135.3 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg File Jun 29, 10 02 44 PM.jpg (224.6 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg File Jun 29, 10 04 35 PM.jpg (182.6 KB, 217 views)
Ticmxman likes this.
post #31 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 10:07 AM

i'll have the long bed and will potentially need to haul 4 bikes, i'm thinking about making my own stand using a 2"x4" as the base, with risers to isolate each bike. Though I'll probably get a 4-bike trailer hitch carrier so I can still use the bed to haul camping supplies.

2016 Colorado LT 4WD, Long-Box, Laser Blue/Jet Ash. Convenience & Luxury packages, Factory Spray-in Bed Liner, Safety Package, Trailering Package, Mud Flaps, Quad-fold G4 hard tonneau cover, 3" OEM steps, All-season OEM floor mats

Ordered 5/22/15
TPW: 7/13/15
Received: 8/8/15
post #32 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolManTimTaylor View Post
Are you heck bent on making one? I have the GearOn system for mine and it serves so many more purposes than just having the bike rack attachments. It makes for better lumber hauling too. On mine the tie downs (I got all 15 LOL) are removeable if needed , the bars are easy on / off and the versatility value is great. Get them from online sources like Amazon or Ebay for some far better pricing.

That system is expensive at $395! Did you just have it installed at the time you bought the truck and include it in the financing?

2012 Colorado extended cab 2wd
2.9L 4cyl
TonnoPro Tri fold bed cover
AVS bug deflector
AVS vent visors
K&N CAI

Volunteer dog rescue driver
post #33 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 12:30 PM

Built my own bike rack, holds 4 bikes very well in the 6' bed with a few bungee cords. The tire slots are in incremented angles so that the handlebars don't hit one another.
Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3130.jpg (121.8 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3132.jpg (308.7 KB, 138 views)
Don Breda and HITTHEBEACH like this.
post #34 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 09:49 PM

Garage
Better bike mount using GearOn Cross rails and Yakima

2015 Black Canyon CC SLT long bed, Factory spray-in bedliner, Chrome 5" Running boards, Nav, Bose, Rear window, Trailering pkg., OEM Splashguards, OEM Floorliners, OEM Exhaust Tip, HomeLink.
post #35 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHEELBURNS View Post
I've been considering this for carrying a cargo box. Wouldn't need it often though. I can see myself with a full bed, bikes on the GearOn system, towing a pop up camper, and cargo in the roof box.
Can you attach the cargo box to the top of the pop up camper?

I am still thinking about this myself, there are some dual hitch receivers that I may look into. Not sure if it all can fit in the space I need.

Ultra-Tow Dual Hitch Extension — 4,000-Lb. Capacity | Hitch Adapters| Northern Tool + Equipment

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller.
post #36 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 12:14 AM

Garage
Tailgate pad is the way to go!
dnicebkr likes this.
post #37 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 08:50 PM

I've used a Dakine pad for about six years. In fact I never pulled it off my current truck, but I was hoping to use something above the bed for situations when I don't need to haul 5 bikes as the pad covers the backup camera.

I opted for the short bed. If I'm understanding all the various threads correctly it sounds like my XL 27.5 is probably going to have problems with the Gear-On system? The problem ultimately stems from the fact that the rails have the bikes sitting lower and interfering with the bed itself, correct?

I don't want a fork system as the new Fox 36 with pincher bolts is a lot of work to pull regularly.

Any other options for keeping both wheels on? Yakima Bedrock seems the best choice from what I'm finding.
post #38 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 09:23 PM

Garage
I did some research on how to carry my bikes before I purchased my Colorado and was all set to go with the Yakima biker bar ($230) but when I purchased my truck it had a tonneau cover. I didn't plan on the tonneau cover but now it's won me over and I had to go another route for my bikes. I have a short box and with the tonneau cover folded up I end with with a less usable space for a bike. One bike fits nicely (even two would fit with front wheels removed) under the cover if I need it out of sight and secure.

I ended up going with a tailgate pad if I need to carry multiple bikes. It's easy/easy off when I need it and with the short box/tonneau cover issue the bikes fit perfect. It also stores nicely out of the way in the garage when not in use. It was also one of the cheaper ways to go. I use a bungee to secure the bikes to the tie-downs just in case. The only drawback in my opinion is that it doesn't secure your bike but you could always get a cable lock for peace of mind.

Race Face
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4_TailgatePad_Accessories.jpg (300.2 KB, 135 views)
HotHead likes this.
post #39 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 10:05 PM

Love the Race Face Tailgate Pad! Nice find! Thanks. Going to seriously consider this. I don't mind removing a front wheel to attach the bike to the bed of the truck, but disc brakes are a pain to get just right when replacing the wheel. I like the notches in this pad. Definitely looking into this. Thanks again!

2016 Colorado CC SB Z71 4WD Black with Towing Package.
post #40 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 10:16 PM

Garage
There a few different tailgate pads out there and a few that are a little cheaper but this one seemed to offer the most. I just used it to haul to bikes on a road trip (2hrs each way with 70mph on the highway) and it worked out great. The bikes were perfectly secure (with a bungee to the tie downs) the entire trip. I like the simplicity in it. Oh I averaged 27mpg on my trip .....love this truck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode