bike rack - Page 3 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 11Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 09:34 PM
Senior Member
 
ekko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 506
Do you think the 1UpUSA rail system might work with the short bed? It is 55" in length so I believe it will fit inside the bed at the top mount (don't have a Canyon to measure). Additionally, you can mount the clamps anywhere along the 1up rail so you can have the rails sit a list further forward or back on the Gear-On rails. Also the nice thing about 1Up is the two wheel "clamps" let you push the bike a bit more forward or back on the rails themselves by just pushing one of the wheel clamps further in than the other (within reason).

I believe the problem is with the tires hitting the back of the bed though, correct? Probably have to have the tailgate down or some way to mount the whole system higher?

Anywhere here is the roof tray:

https://www.1upusa.com/product-rooftray.html

Here are the dimensions:

https://www.1upusa.com/product-rooftray2.html

Last edited by ekko; 09-12-2015 at 09:37 PM.
ekko is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 10:31 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1
Damien tailgate pad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccobk01 View Post
Tailgate pad is the way to go!
I just throw the bike over the tailgate using a tailgate pad. No fancy racks needed.
However i also have the 1up USA rack for my car and may get the 2 inch receiver so I can also use it on the truck.

Last edited by JW_canyon; 09-20-2015 at 10:37 PM.
JW_canyon is offline  
post #43 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 09:16 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 2
Serious question - what are the cons of just laying a mountain bike down on its side in the back?
aquaduck04 is offline  
 
post #44 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 01:05 AM
Senior Member
 
ekko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaduck04 View Post
Serious question - what are the cons of just laying a mountain bike down on its side in the back?
Nothing of any real significance. Keep the derailleur off the bed. Keep the frame off the bed. Understand that you'll probably get some bike shifting as you drive to the trailhead that could result in some nicks or scratches. Obviously I don't know your terrain, but an average bailout for me here in CO results in way more impact on the bike than laying the bike down in the bed causes. I carry many bikes regularly or I'd just do this too.
ekko is offline  
post #45 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 03:00 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Memphis
Posts: 37
Here's my .02 on a bike rack - I could not find one I liked that would let me mount the bike in the bed, and did not want to have to remove the front wheel every time to attach using a skewer, so I made my own with a piece of aluminum angle. It attaches to 2 of the tie down holes so nothing on the truck has to be drilled. I took 2 of the DeeZee tiedowns and milled off the loop to make a flat attachment point for the angle, bolted on the angle, and added a couple of pieces of plastic where the tire fits in to give the tire a little more support. The notch in the angle and tie straps keep the rear tire in place.
This is probably the least floppy bike rack I have used (I hate looking in the mirror and seeing the bike wiggling - even though it is going nowhere, I just don't like it).
Easy to make, easy to install, and it does not get in the way if you leave it in the bed all of the time. A 26" or 27.5" bike would probably fit in with the front tire straight, but a 29 will not unless it is really a small frame.
I only carry one bike, but it looks like if you ran the angle all the way across the bed you could carry 3 easily.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1741.JPG (159.1 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1742.JPG (179.6 KB, 172 views)
F Martinez and RoanokeCanyon like this.

TANSTAAFL
willworkforbeer is offline  
post #46 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 12:04 AM
Senior Member
 
ekko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 506
@tbalt14 wanted to get my question in the right thread, but wanted to talk a bit more about your "must be centered" comment and the 1upusa. I actually like the 1upusa because of the flexibility I felt it offers to not center the bike. Makes me wonder if we are talking the same thing?

Here is a picture of what I'm talking about - the bike is off center to the back. Is this what you were aiming to accomplish with your mounts?

http://jrocks.com/jeep/IMG_0488.jpg

Do your trays offer additional range of movement off the center of the trays or were you referencing something else? Ultimately I'm most interested in what gives me the most flexibility.
ekko is offline  
post #47 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 06:17 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Dixon, IL
Posts: 558
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekko View Post
@tbalt14 wanted to get my question in the right thread, but wanted to talk a bit more about your "must be centered" comment and the 1upusa. I actually like the 1upusa because of the flexibility I felt it offers to not center the bike. Makes me wonder if we are talking the same thing?

Here is a picture of what I'm talking about - the bike is off center to the back. Is this what you were aiming to accomplish with your mounts?

http://jrocks.com/jeep/IMG_0488.jpg

Do your trays offer additional range of movement off the center of the trays or were you referencing something else? Ultimately I'm most interested in what gives me the most flexibility.

Yes I can adjust bike off center on my trays.

8/14/2015 Ordered 2016 Canyon diesel CCSB, SLT, Copper/Red, black interior, Bose, spray in liner, transfer case shield, bars package and block heater.
Built 1/20/2016
Dealer received 2/3/2016
I received 2/5/2016
tbalt14 is offline  
post #48 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 06:25 PM
Senior Member
 
ekko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 506
I got mine setup with my first 1UPUSA roof tray. I'm really pleased with the setup. Some notes for future readers:

1) My bike is 74" long and I'm able to use the lower mounts for the Gear-On system without the bike touching bed, windows, etc. This made the long bed worth it to me as it gets the bikes 4-5" lower in the bed.

2) The T-Channel setup for the Gear On cross rails does not appear to be standard. I had to dremel down the the nuts (or whatever they are) that slide in because they were too wide. I'm not *wild* about the really small lip in the Gear On T-Channel so I might look for the carriage bolts to do a pinch mount. 1UPUSA doesn't have bolts long enough for the 2" thick rails.

3) For those that complained about MPG with this setup I did a 66 mile round trip to my trail, which includes a gradual 500 ft ascent as I head into the foothills (and of course descent on the way back). Speed limits are 75, 65, and around 5 miles of stop and go city driving (each way). Round trip I hit 30.0 MPG on the nose with the bike on the back.

Here are some pictures:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0431.jpg (259.6 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0432.jpg (251.7 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by ekko; 02-27-2016 at 06:30 PM. Reason: edit: 30MPG per DIC...not hand calculated.
ekko is offline  
post #49 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 08:08 PM
Senior Member
 
one2doo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Johnson City TN
Posts: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekko View Post
I got mine setup with my first 1UPUSA roof tray. I'm really pleased with the setup. Some notes for future readers:

1) My bike is 74" long and I'm able to use the lower mounts for the Gear-On system without the bike touching bed, windows, etc. This made the long bed worth it to me as it gets the bikes 4-5" lower in the bed.

2) The T-Channel setup for the Gear On cross rails does not appear to be standard. I had to dremel down the the nuts (or whatever they are) that slide in because they were too wide. I'm not *wild* about the really small lip in the Gear On T-Channel so I might look for the carriage bolts to do a pinch mount. 1UPUSA doesn't have bolts long enough for the 2" thick rails.

3) For those that complained about MPG with this setup I did a 66 mile round trip to my trail, which includes a gradual 500 ft ascent as I head into the foothills (and of course descent on the way back). Speed limits are 75, 65, and around 5 miles of stop and go city driving (each way). Round trip I hit 30.0 MPG on the nose with the bike on the back.

Here are some pictures:
Looks good.
ekko likes this.
one2doo is offline  
post #50 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 08:55 PM
Senior Member
 
WhiteShadowZ71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 343
Garage
Send a message via AIM to WhiteShadowZ71 Send a message via MSN to WhiteShadowZ71
I just decided to go with a hitch rack. Suits my needs.

Fifty years from now, when you're looking back at your life, don't you want to be able to say you had the guts to get in the car?
WhiteShadowZ71 is offline  
post #51 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 09:57 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: SFL/NC
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteShadowZ71 View Post
I just decided to go with a hitch rack. Suits my needs.
Another hitch rack thumbs up. No need to remove wheels etc. My choice is a Saris.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1456628221.559528.jpg (89.2 KB, 73 views)
hillybilly and dono1 like this.
Jon D is offline  
post #52 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 10:44 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHEELBURNS View Post
I posted this a while ago in a different thread, but thought I would throw it up here in case someone searched bike rack instead of GearOn.
Nice bike rack setup! This is ideal in my eyes. Any chance you can fit a roll-up tonneau over the top of the racks, in that top GearOn position? Or is it too high? I'd love to roll a tonneau cover over the racks, when not in use. Looking to use one of these "increased capacity" covers: Truck Tonneau Covers | ACCESS Original Roll Up Tonneau Cover.
CLPsea is offline  
post #53 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 11:13 AM
Senior Member
 
WHEELBURNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 490
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLPsea View Post
Nice bike rack setup! This is ideal in my eyes. Any chance you can fit a roll-up tonneau over the top of the racks, in that top GearOn position? Or is it too high? I'd love to roll a tonneau cover over the racks, when not in use. Looking to use one of these "increased capacity" covers: Truck Tonneau Covers | ACCESS Original Roll Up Tonneau Cover.
I have a Bak Revolver2 and it will clear in the lower position. The only problem them is the rack is moved further back and you have to put the tailgate down to transport bikes. These trays close up pretty small the rest of the time, but have to be extended for bike transport. Would not be an issue with a long bed.

2015 Red Z71 4x4 CC Short Box
WHEELBURNS is offline  
post #54 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 02:30 PM
Junior Member
 
Canyon11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3
Garage
I built one for my truck for about $30. Simple to make, light, hang it on the wall when not in use. I have plans to fit a 2011 with plastic bed liner, but simple additions or subtractions on width will make it fit any truck.
Canyon11 is offline  
post #55 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 04:12 PM
Senior Member
 
Kokiri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: MO
Posts: 650
Opted for hitch rack since I don't want to take off the tonneau. Have the Swagman XC Cross-Country 2.


Mods: hood protector | in-channel visors | tinted windows | LED Headlights | LED interior lights | LED footwell lights | brake controller | painted bow-ties | debadged | bump step | terrain hx steps | painted calipers | painted interior trim | seat covers | Z71 grille | AT3 Falkens
Kokiri is offline  
post #56 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 04:31 PM
Member
 
Sulayman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Where you live
Posts: 52
I cannot believe no one has mentioned the Thule Insta-gator. I have one and love it. It couldn't be easier to use, and you don't need to remove the front tire. It seems quite sturdy as is, but I always use a ratchet strap around the seat tube for added stability. By locking the tailgate and then locking the bike frame to the rack you can feel comfortable leaving your bike alone for a quick trip into a store or restaurant. I probably wouldn't leave it outside overnight like that. I would also recommend letting a little air out of your front tire before mounting the bike on the rack then having a floor pump handy when you remove it.

Sulayman is offline  
post #57 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 06:47 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 157
I also have a hitch mounted bike rack. More stable and easier to load and unload my bike.
carlos.tr is offline  
post #58 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 10:54 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Sarasota Fl
Posts: 69
The right answer is the Falcon by Seasucker Racks.

Vacuum mount, to the rear window, I'll post a photo shortly
ononecog is offline  
post #59 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 11:02 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ononecog View Post
The right answer is the Falcon by Seasucker Racks.

Vacuum mount, to the rear window, I'll post a photo shortly
Would love to see a photo. Does the Seasucker have any security features?
CRWgxp is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome