bike rack - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

bike rack

I am looking to get ideas on how you guys haul your mountain bikes in the bed of the truck. I already have the cleats that hold down the front fork, and made something before I put in the spray in liner and it doesn't fit anymore. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 02:50 PM

Garage
Are you heck bent on making one? I have the GearOn system for mine and it serves so many more purposes than just having the bike rack attachments. It makes for better lumber hauling too. On mine the tie downs (I got all 15 LOL) are removeable if needed , the bars are easy on / off and the versatility value is great. Get them from online sources like Amazon or Ebay for some far better pricing.

2015 Z-71 'Rado
2011 Jeep Wrangler Ls3 V8 Conversion 6.2L Powers it!
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 05:30 PM

I strap mine in like hauling a dirtbike.

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 07:38 PM

I throw mine in under the tonneau cover. That way I scratch both the bed and bike at the same time! I left my mounts in my old truck. I plan to buy new ones and just drill into the bed with a nutsert (threaded rivet).
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 09:04 PM

I wish I would have seen this thread today before I took my bike out of the truck. The wife and I went on a ride today. Anyway, I bought one of the Thule fork bed mounts for around $30. I just put the bike in the bed and figured out where to mount it. I then added an extra bolt hole for added stability and bolted it to the bed close to the tailgate. I also made a small back plate to put under the bed to add strength so I could tighten it up good. It's dark and the pic is bad but I tried. If you want me to I can take more pics tomorrow when it's light. I can even put the bike back there and show ya how it looks. Just let me know if you do want more pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150207_195239_1423361014934.jpg (112.5 KB, 362 views)
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 09:08 PM

oh yeah, and I take the part that you use to clamp the forks to it off when the bike is not back there. For multiple reasons but that is why you don't see it in the pic.
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 09:27 PM

How big are the bolts you used? From the pic the look huge. And you fit 3 in there?
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 09:49 PM

I spent some time today trying to decide the best way to add a folding hard tonneau cover and still transport the bike. Honestly with my short bed there is no easy answer. I'm looking at either sideways or diagonally in the bed. If I didn't want to add the tonneau cover then it would be no problem. Here is what I'm using now without a cover. When I add the cover maybe just laying it underneath is the way to go. I thought about using the tie down mounts for the fork mount but it would be too awkward securing the bike. The gear on system maybe worth considering if a little pricey.

I'm sorry but I'm not drilling holes in the bed for a bike mount, a board works fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (236.4 KB, 349 views)

2015 Summit White Colorado Z71 Crewcab V6 SB 2WD Bose, SOLD after 9 months.
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Canyon View Post
How big are the bolts you used? From the pic the look huge. And you fit 3 in there?
5/16 bolt 2 in long. Not big at all. Yes there is three in there. the two that are already predrilled in it and I drilled a third bolt in the middle on the opposite side. AKA made a triangle.

Its not far from the tailgate at all and it don't get in the way when throwing stuff in the bed. I thought it would at first but it don't. Well it hasn't yet. And with it being mounted in the rear in the bed it is a LOT easier to get to if I need to remove it for some reason. And as you can see in the pic I use the bed of my truck for a lot of different things. Its scratched up pretty good.
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticmxman View Post
I spent some time today trying to decide the best way to add a folding hard tonneau cover and still transport the bike. Honestly with my short bed there is no easy answer. I'm looking at either sideways or diagonally in the bed. If I didn't want to add the tonneau cover then it would be no problem. Here is what I'm using now without a cover. When I add the cover maybe just laying it underneath is the way to go. I thought about using the tie down mounts for the fork mount but it would be too awkward securing the bike. The gear on system maybe worth considering if a little pricey.

I'm sorry but I'm not drilling holes in the bed for a bike mount, a board works fine.
I've done something similar in my 2008. I have two bolts in a board that extend through the existing drain holes in the bed. It is not secured to the bed, the bolts are used to prevent lateral movement and for alignment. Unfortunately there is no way to prevent it from moving forward/reverse. I still use my tiedown straps to haul if I do that method...but it's at least secure to where I no longer have to worry about the front wheel slipping and tipping on longer hauls. I've carried my road bike that way, but not my mountain bike. My rode bike was on a 4-hour haul. Mountain bike is across town.
Otherwise I toss it in and tie it down like my dirt bike.
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonelement View Post
5/16 bolt 2 in long. Not big at all. Yes there is three in there. the two that are already predrilled in it and I drilled a third bolt in the middle on the opposite side. AKA made a triangle.

Its not far from the tailgate at all and it don't get in the way when throwing stuff in the bed. I thought it would at first but it don't. Well it hasn't yet. And with it being mounted in the rear in the bed it is a LOT easier to get to if I need to remove it for some reason. And as you can see in the pic I use the bed of my truck for a lot of different things. Its scratched up pretty good.
It looks a little bigger than that. Still pretty big though.

I'm pretty confident there is no need for the 3rd unless one of the two original holes don't allow solid fastening. With the backing plate you used though, the hold down should be sandwiched nicely. The nut with a dab of blue locktite and a lock washer should hold it securely. Or a nylock nut if you don't have to remove it frequently.
post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 10:35 PM

Quote:
It looks a little bigger than that. Still pretty big though.

I'm pretty confident there is no need for the 3rd unless one of the two original holes don't allow solid fastening. With the backing plate you used though, the hold down should be sandwiched nicely. The nut with a dab of blue locktite and a lock washer should hold it securely. Or a nylock nut if you don't have to remove it frequently.
yeah, I wasn't sure I needed the third bolt but it was one of those things where I decided I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 10:42 PM

Quote:
I've done something similar in my 2008. I have two bolts in a board that extend through the existing drain holes in the bed. It is not secured to the bed, the bolts are used to prevent lateral movement and for alignment. Unfortunately there is no way to prevent it from moving forward/reverse. I still use my tiedown straps to haul if I do that method...but it's at least secure to where I no longer have to worry about the front wheel slipping and tipping on longer hauls. I've carried my road bike that way, but not my mountain bike. My rode bike was on a 4-hour haul. Mountain bike is across town.
Otherwise I toss it in and tie it down like my dirt bike.
Good idea to use the drain hole to pin down the board. No problems with my current temporary set up, only have a couple of inches for the bike to shift fore and aft but your right to use a tie down for extra security in a unforeseen incident the bike could get bucked out.

post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Good idea to use the drain hole to pin down the board. No problems with my current temporary set up, only have a couple of inches for the bike to shift fore and aft but your right to use a tie down for extra security in a unforeseen incident the bike could get bucked out.
I don't recall how much room there is behind the tire with my gate lifted. More than I was comfortable with I think. I have about 1.5" of lumber build up. A 3/4" thick covering the width, and 3/4" 'feet' below the wide board. That spaces the board off the bed so the screws from the bike holder clear the bed. The two bolts I used are probably 3" long....so they protrude down through the bed. I actually thought plasti-dip was rubbery and sprayed the thread, but it just looked like I painted them. Anyway, when the bike moves towards the rear, the bolts bolts nearly came right out I think.

I have a nut on the bolt to hold itself to the board too, I think I countersunk that but I don't remember. It LOOKS like a solid mount if you walk by the vehicle....but really you could simply lift the bike and board right out and walk away with it. You'd look like a thief, but you could do it.
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 06:33 AM

Fork cleats on front of bed

I just mounted fork cleats to the front edge of the bed. Pretty simple and clean...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0861.jpg (305.5 KB, 270 views)
post #16 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymack View Post
I just mounted fork cleats to the front edge of the bed. Pretty simple and clean...
Looks good. I'm considering a tonneau cover though. So depending on the cover I need about 18" at the front of the bed for the folding cover to stack... Now if I had a long bed it would be 12" longer and more manageable.

post #17 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

I made something similar to this setup, but the board I has was cut to fit close to the cab and now the tonneau cover is in the way. I could put the board on the tailgate side of the bed but I'm not sure the rear wheel will fit under the cover when it is folded up.
post #18 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_w1 View Post
I made something similar to this setup, but the board I has was cut to fit close to the cab and now the tonneau cover is in the way. I could put the board on the tailgate side of the bed but I'm not sure the rear wheel will fit under the cover when it is folded up.
What cover do you have, short bed or long bed? I think with the short bed and a folding tonneau cover the bike will have to be sideways or diagonally in the bed.

post #19 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

I have an 08' short bed with a tri fold cover.
post #20 of 59 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 06:05 PM

I would measure your bike first. My cleat is 1.5 in from the end of my bed by the tailgate, on a short bed. I have a 17.5 inch frame trek 29er and my back tire touches the front side of the bed. I did that so it couldn't sling around. I couldn't have a folding cover I don't believe. Not with out moving some things around.

Last edited by carbonelement; 02-08-2015 at 06:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode