Do not buy a Bak Flip Cover! - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 11:15 PM

I had an Extang folding cover on my 2011 Canyon, removed it and installed on 2015. The cover is an inch or two short but by setting back toward the tailgate and adding an insullation strip to the front it works just fine and about 98% water tight. Best thing about Extang (had a Back flip before) is it has two clips in the front and two in the back, simple to install and is super secure.

2015 Canyon, SLT, CC, 4x4, Copper Red Metallic, Nav, Bose, Trailer pkg, Safety pkg, Eng heater, steps, Extang tri fold hard cover, flaps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 02:49 PM
amxguy1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiren View Post
In summary
The Bak covers are junk and beware, they feel cheap they leak badly and are engineered terribly. I didn't event try to install the bak box because the water rivered into the front of the truck bed right where the box would have been. It would have soaked all the contents. The company does not listen to its customers when theres a problem. in order to have gotten my money back they required me to get a statement from GM saying that there bed is 1 inch longer. Which is just BS when its public knowledge, also if I just don't like a product can't I just return it?

I don't ever write bad reviews but this was just to much and I didn't what somebody else to get caught up in this crap. STAY FAR WAY FROM BAK Industries!!!
That is because it was an inch short leaving a big gap! You had no experience to make that claim. Pretty sure most others are happy with it and you just had a bad experience and are talking out of your ... because of the experience. Glad you can make such a sound judgement on the quality and reliability off putting it on and taking it off. Many others who have used bak (including myself) have raved about their quality and their service is top notch (the owner is even on this site I believe and many others). Sucks you had a bad experience but that is no doubt out of the ordinary, glad it worked out for you though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibmikey View Post
I had an Extang folding cover on my 2011 Canyon, removed it and installed on 2015. The cover is an inch or two short but by setting back toward the tailgate and adding an insullation strip to the front it works just fine and about 98% water tight. Best thing about Extang (had a Back flip before) is it has two clips in the front and two in the back, simple to install and is super secure.
How did you get a cover that is not only 2 inches shorter (which you addressed) and around 6 inches narrower to fit? That is a large difference in width to make up.... Did you paint some 2x4's black to make up the difference in width?

Tyler
post #23 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 09:00 AM

Extang covers are pretty good + we're currently running a promo on Extang Encore tonneau covers. You can get a free bed mat or bed light E500 with your order Extang® - EnCore? Tonno Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover

Chevy Colorado http://www.carid.com/chevy-colorado-accessories/

Call Toll Free: 800.505.3274 | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | myCARiD | YouTube

post #24 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 05:52 PM

I like the looks and functionality of the bakflip VP. Plus you can still use the stake/hand holds on the truck bed. The exterior has a leather look which will match the leather interior. The durability is also a selling factor for me in Arizona. I am afraid the Vinyl covers no matter how thick or UV resistant still has me wondering if it will crack over time. All the features look durable and well thought out. Seems easy to install per videos. If you call Bakflip directly, they will give you a discount and free shipping.

162125 - BakFlip VP Tonneau Cover Vehicle Information 15 Colorado 6' Bed BAK-162125 1 $698.00 Subtotal $698.00 Shipping & Handling $0.00 Gift Certificates: $0.00 Grand Total $698.00

Ice Queen
2015 Silver Ice Metallic LT
Born On Date 4/16/15 LWB CC V6 "Complete Ride Work in Progress"
post #25 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 07:32 PM

My bakflip, is leaking and the seals started to fall off too. Place I purchased from finally called me back. They told that the BakFlip rep told them they had a bad batch of seals and would send them replacements. I'm waiting for them to notify me parts came in.
post #26 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 04:03 PM

Garage
Bakflip VP for me, and no problems at all! I love it, and the guys at bakfactoryoutlet.com were great to deal with!

2015 Red Hot Colorado CC, Short Bed, Z71 4x4, Nav/Bose. Mods: Tailgate Lock | Hardwire Dashcam | Bakflip VP Cover | OEM Bed Extender
LED Interior, Bed and Reverse Lights | 4x4 Switch Protector | Modified Air Dam | LED Light Bar | Auto Springs 2" Level kit | Stubby Antenna | Black Exhaust Tip
post #27 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 07:36 PM

just ordered my fibermax from www.tonneaufactoryoutlet.com got a great price my friend just installed his his silverado with no issues
post #28 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 08:54 AM

Even the best companies have design and quality issues from time to time, how they deal with the customers affected is what defines them as a company. Sounds like the guy you initially dealt with should be working in the warehouse rather than customer service. A post like this can end up costing them 100s of sales.
Toughsox likes this.
post #29 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 12:41 PM

Hard or soft? What did it set you back?
post #30 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 10:24 AM

Garage
I bought a gator bak flip which i think is the same company making it. I had the same issue with the bed rails being too short, but Gator was awesome, they custom made me a set that fit perfect and i got it in 3 days. The cover length is perfect. It leaks a little which i fixed with some clear silicone. Love this cover!!!!!

I would highly recommend this top!!!!!! and I'd buy another....even at $800 bucks the best out there.
post #31 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 12:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain.russ View Post
I bought a gator bak flip which i think is the same company making it. I had the same issue with the bed rails being too short, but Gator was awesome, they custom made me a set that fit perfect and i got it in 3 days. The cover length is perfect. It leaks a little which i fixed with some clear silicone. Love this cover!!!!!

I would highly recommend this top!!!!!! and I'd buy another....even at $800 bucks the best out there.

Did you get the FX5? Does it hit the brake light like some Bakflippers have reported?
APACHEMIC likes this.

2016 Red Hot Z71 CC/SB 4x4
Factory: Spray-on bedliner, Wheel Flares, Towing Package, Bose
Mods: Airdam Delete, Zone 1.25" Level, Cooper AT/3 265/65R17's, Original Stubby Antenna, Access Lorado Tonneau Cover, K&N Drop-in air filter
post #32 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 10:55 PM

i just installed my fibermax 3 days ago. awesome! i love it. took 30 min to install. it poured rain the past 2 days and only got a few drops in on the fwd corners. considering the amt of rain it was actually less than what i was expecting. totally happy with it. very solid.
APACHEMIC likes this.
post #33 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 07:48 PM

Garage
Mine is the fx5 and it does not hit. it comes with rubber pads where it touches the window.
post #34 of 79 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 05:17 AM

Garage
Very confusing thread. Not sure what to do. Had a bakflip for my nissan and loved it. no leakage what so ever. Thinking about getting one for my 2016 colorado but i noticed one thing that makes me hasitant.The side rails on my colorado don't go all the way to the front or the back. I know thats how the bakflip is secured. Wondering if this causes a problem with support. If anybody has installed a bakflip on a 2016 colorado z71 crew cab long bed would you tell me how well it fit. Thanks tick
post #35 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tick View Post
Very confusing thread. Not sure what to do. Had a bakflip for my nissan and loved it. no leakage what so ever. Thinking about getting one for my 2016 colorado but i noticed one thing that makes me hasitant.The side rails on my colorado don't go all the way to the front or the back. I know thats how the bakflip is secured. Wondering if this causes a problem with support. If anybody has installed a bakflip on a 2016 colorado z71 crew cab long bed would you tell me how well it fit. Thanks tick
I have a bakflip and it fits perfect. Installation was extremely simple.

2015 Colorado CC SB Z71 Brownstone - Bose - Wheel Flares - Spray in Liner - Trailering Package - Gear On divider - Weathertech Liners - AVS Aeroskin
Bakflip Fibermax - Iron Cross Steps

3/21/15 Ordered
4/02 GM Chat - TPW 5/11/15
4/09 GM Chat - TPW 5/04/15 - Code 3000
4/21 GM Chat - TPW 5/04/15 - Code 3000
4/30 GM Chat - TPW 5/04/15 - Code 3300
5/05 GM Chat - TPW 5/04/15 - Code 3400
5/11 GM Chat - Produced VIN supplied - Code 4000
5/16 GM Chat - Code 43000
06/04 - Picked up!
post #36 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 09:49 AM

I just did an install of the HD on my 2016 Long Bed Colorado this weekend with good results. I did have to spend 5 minutes or so adjusting the position to ensure even overlap at front and back. Make sure to do this while the cover is folded up.

Cover looks great. Leakage is minimal after driving through the downpour we had in Seattle this weekend. I noticed more leakage on the first day when the car sat outside in the parking lot of Ikea for 4 hours. After that only a couple drops. I think some of the seals had to acclimate to unfolded position.
post #37 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 10:25 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiren View Post
I don't ever write bad reviews but this was just to much and I didn't what somebody else to get caught up in this crap. STAY FAR WAY FROM BAK Industries!!!
I bought one for my Z71 short box. The weather stripping at the end looked like it was cut too short but the overall length was fine. I emailed them and they sent a new weather stripping kit that got to me in 2 days. I bought mine through realtruck.com. Everything is great now. I'm sorry you're having such a hard time.
post #38 of 79 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 05:32 PM

Exclamation

Thanks for the review I will not buy one of these!
post #39 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 03:43 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DasGoob
I think they are all comparable, but I prefer the undercover flex to the back flip because it does not rest against the cab of your truck when in up position, even with rubber stoppers. The Undercover Flex has bars that hold it in place when in the "up" position. Otherwise, sounds like they are quite comparable.

DasGoob
"Nothing is foolproof when you have a sufficiently talented fool"
'16 Colorado, Summit White, Z71 mud mats, LED everything in cab, LED cargo and B/U lights, LED bed lights, 12VDC outlets bed, Undercover Flex, Pop n Lock for Tailgate, LED front Turn signals, LED Tail lights, LED Rock Lights, 32" LED Light Bar in bumper, Weathertech mud flaps, Rocky Road Outfitters rock sliders, Patriotic Z71 decals, Elite Catch Can, Dash Cam

post #40 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 03:57 PM

Garage
Sorry you had trouble!!! Bak has been totally awesome with me and the top is perfect. I did buy it from one of their dealers who call it a gator.
APACHEMIC likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode