Do not buy a Bak Flip Cover! - Page 3 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 05:07 PM

Garage
The item looks really good, it's sad that it didn't work out the way you expected :(

- 2016 Colorado LT - 2004 Subaru STI - 1995 Ford Bronco XLT -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 09:45 PM

I have had my bak flip for over a year. Works perfect.
post #43 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 11:54 PM

Love my Bak flip 11 months, looks and works great

post #44 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 12:27 AM

1yr....Ditto

Timmer
post #45 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 10:33 PM

Anyone used a bak flip and hauled dirt bikes? Seems like it should work fine because you can still push the bike up against the front of the bed right?
post #46 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 06:29 PM

Garage
Based on what Im reading here along with the pics, it sounds like their quality has gone south (unless they have corrected the length). I had two of these covers on my previous Gen 1's and they fit and worked great. Now Im in the market for another for my '16 CC short box, but may be a bit reluctant after reading all the info. Both my Gen 1's fitments covered 1/2-3/4 (NOT INCHES) of the top rail behind the cab and 3/4's of the tailgate seal was on the tailgate. If you ask me......thats the way it SHOULD fit. I had no leak unless it was an all out down pour (as someone else mentioned), but it was nothing of a bother to me. Hopefully the issue gets fixed.
post #47 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 10:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbid View Post
Based on what Im reading here along with the pics, it sounds like their quality has gone south (unless they have corrected the length). I had two of these covers on my previous Gen 1's and they fit and worked great. Now Im in the market for another for my '16 CC short box, but may be a bit reluctant after reading all the info. Both my Gen 1's fitments covered 1/2-3/4 (NOT INCHES) of the top rail behind the cab and 3/4's of the tailgate seal was on the tailgate. If you ask me......thats the way it SHOULD fit. I had no leak unless it was an all out down pour (as someone else mentioned), but it was nothing of a bother to me. Hopefully the issue gets fixed.
ive got 1 on my 15 and its fine. instead of buying online i think they shoul've went through a Bak dealer

2015 red hot ext cab z71
post #48 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 01:44 AM

rubbing on back window?

Has anyone had any issues with the cover rubbing on their back window?
post #49 of 79 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 03:06 PM

Garage
Mine are perfect, have a new one for sale $350
post #50 of 79 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 10:09 AM

I have a G2 on my '04 crew cab and it's been great, perfect fit. I recently ordered a couple of small replacement parts (I broke a support rod clip and somehow lost a sliding rod support knob.) They were slow to ship but I was able to get them and they were reasonably priced.

I ordered the cover from one of their dealers and the place that sprayed my bed did the install. Very minimal leakage. I've had mine for 5 years.

2004 Crew Cab
post #51 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 10:47 AM

Garage
Love my BAK Revolver with BAK Box. Fits great, no leakage and easy to install. See below for pics.

Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon - sailqwk's Album: BAK Revolver X2 w/ BAK Box

Owner of SAILQWK and The @#$%&~!!! Boat
post #52 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 04:52 PM

When I first read this post I thought maybe people were just overreacting (the internet has the ability to bring that out in people)
but now having dealt with BAK, I would change my opinion to "be very aware/careful when buying any BAK product"

It amazes me that we accept this kind of product from companies, using universal clamps that don't really fit our trucks correctly and therefore being told "it's ok, just bend the bed of your truck" instead of actually making a product that works correctly.

After buying one of their BAK 2 revolvers I have and still have a number of concerns link to thread here

Even more so, customer support should be paramount with a company, being told basically like it or lump it is not the answer. Interestingly, since posting my original concerns, I have had a few people contact me saying they have the same issues and also got less than good customer service.

There was an earlier post on here from somebody saying negative posts could cost them 100's, well if they don't work on improving their products or customer service, why shouldn't it cost them.
post #53 of 79 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 02:16 AM

Does anyone have the newer Bak MX4 bakflip? I think it looks like it is made with better build but I'm not sure? Anyone have first hand experience or pics

2016 Canyon SLT Cyber Grey, Short Box, crew cab, 2WD, V6, leather, safety pkg...
post #54 of 79 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 12:02 PM

I purchased a BakFlipG2 just recently.
I went to the company web site and went into chat with "TJ".
He bent over backwards to help me.
He set the order up and then called me for my CC info (he was located in Fla.).
We verified everything as I had gotten bad info from a major auto parts web site and from Amazon.
I placed the order and he gave me an additional 10% off the discount price.
Included shipping and handling and I received the boxes in TWO days.
I live in NJ and they came in from Indiana FedEx.

As for construction, mine is two sheets of aluminum with a thick foam type solid insulation sandwiched in between.
The carton comes with self sticking "shims" so that you can square up the mounting rails.
And the instruction concerning the shims are on YELLOW paper so they stick out to be noticed.

Took my buddy and I about 1 hour.
So, if TWO 68 year old men can do it.....
impact likes this.
post #55 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkiemiki View Post
Does anyone have the newer Bak MX4 bakflip? I think it looks like it is made with better build but I'm not sure? Anyone have first hand experience or pics
4 months later, a reply.....I just ordered one. will post about it when I install it.
post #56 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernie2002chs View Post
4 months later, a reply.....I just ordered one. will post about it when I install it.
Keep us posted. I wonder if the MX4 is a lot better than the Bakflip G2.
post #57 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 03:38 PM

I had the the Fiber-Max on my 2016 Colorado Z71 it is 1" to short. If you pull the cover to the front or rear of the truck one of the ends will only seat on the rubber seal. even if you split the different. I makes it easy for someone to slide under the cover to unlock it. I sent lot of pics and long decussation with Bak with no results. I think if you have a slide in bed liner you may be ok. I say go out and push down on the middle of the front and rear side, Ill bet one of the ends your cover will bow in. For a $800 up price cover it should fit better. I have had Bak cover on my other trucks with no issue but its just not right on the Colorado.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2072.jpg (88.3 KB, 18 views)

2016 Z71 V6 4x4, Eibach Adjustable Front shock and rear Shocks, 265x70x17 Michelin MS2, Weather Tech floor mats, Weather Tech Mud Flaps, Home link garage Door opener, Fumoto F107N Oil Drain Plug, 126126 BAKFlip FiberMax Cover, Nfab Side Steps, Front & Back Black Bow Tie Emblem, Pop&Lock, Rally Strips. SuperSkidz Front, Differential and oil pan Skidz Plate, Diablo inTune i2

Last edited by goebel1; 06-16-2016 at 03:40 PM.
post #58 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 01:59 AM

I installed my MX4 from BAK. It barely fit the truck, I have a spray in bedliner so I used their supplied rubber seal. The cover fits right at edge of bulkhead and on the tailgate side it also fits barely. I say about 1/4 inch on both bulkhead and tailgate overlap. I "think" on bulkhead side it will be ok, on tailgate side water might come in due to seal only catching the edge. My order came with missing clips to secure the cover when open, I have not heard back from BAK about the part. Its been a week now. Overall I really like the cover, easy to install, and the mate finish looks good. It does rest on top of rear window seal when fully opened. Time will tell if it will indent the seal. I have had it a week, so Ill post more later after using it for a month or two. If anyone wants pics let me know.

PS. The cover gets hot to the touch. Its 110 here and I need a glove to open it. But pretty much anything you touch in the truck is super hot.

Last edited by fernie2002chs; 06-17-2016 at 02:02 AM.
post #59 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 05:26 AM

I've had a Bakflip G2 installed professionally about 2 months ago.
I had 'toyed' with the idea of buying it directly off the internet and installing it myself but decided to buy it from our local Auto accessories shop (I know the owner). Higher price? Yes.....

Only 2 months in - and the rubber by the cab has started to peel up. I took it back to the shop and they used some sealant to stick it back in place.

Disappointed that the rubber has started to peel up - but I'm really glad I bought this locally. The shop will always be my 'go to' for repair/warranty coverage.

I love the cover. It does everything that I've wanted in a cover!

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #60 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 07:06 PM

Bakflip customer service sucks and so does their quality control.

Ordered an X2 3 weeks ago and it finally arrives yesterday. Installed it, and one of the latches doesn't release. Unscrew the latch and plastic covers and see that they didn't crimp one end of the swedge that holds the cables together so it just slipped right out. Called customer service to ask them how to safely remove the remaining plastic pieces to access the cable as they are tightly fit into a slot. I was told they would send me out a new latch and I could rivet it back in myself. I told them I was holding the latch in my hands and that wasn't the issue. How do I safely remove these plastic pieces to access the cable? He again told me he would send me out a new latch and I could rivet it in myself. It was quite incredible at the lack of knowledge in their products and serious lack of common sense.

I managed to carefully pry the plastic runners partially out of their slots, work the cable back into the swedge and slowly crimp the cables back together. Took an extra hour of time to fix their mistake.

I love the look and function of the cover, but long term reliability has yet to be tested.

For $900, tread carefully with Bakflip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode