Do not buy a Bak Flip Cover! - Page 4 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 08:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkiemiki View Post
Does anyone have the newer Bak MX4 bakflip? I think it looks like it is made with better build but I'm not sure? Anyone have first hand experience or pics
I installed the MX4, super easy install, no issues. Just finished a 5k road trip from so cal to where it rains ( spent a whole day driving through the rain). Just a few drips by the tailgate no water any where else. Love the fact that you can close the gate without lifting the cover. I got mine for just over $800.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 11:01 PM

Hmmm... I just bought a Bak flip kit from 4 wheel online and so far no encountered problem at all with the kit.

Last edited by sidewinder69; 07-26-2016 at 09:58 PM.
post #63 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 03:55 AM

I just had mine installed yesterday from a local store.... I haven't noticed any fit issues. I love the look of it though
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160726_035322_1469519616422.jpg (104.4 KB, 75 views)

post #64 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiren View Post
I recently purchased a Bak Flip HD with Bak Box for my 2015 Chevy Colorado. Do not purchase a single product from this company. They are the worst to deal with. There customer service is horrifying and there products are terrible.

I purchase a Bak HD cover for my new Colorado with a bak box, it took 3 weeks to arrive. Once it arrived... I installed it that night. The instruction are not very good and it took me 1-2 hours to install. I took my time because I didn't want to mess up my new truck, of course. When I was finished, I noticed that the cover was 1 inch to short!. thinking I just installed it wrong I adjusted it to flush up with the tailgate which left a large gap at the front of the bed. It was late so I went to bed, then work the next day. when I got home... I went to take another look at the cove and noticed the seals had baked off in the sun! I though to myself, its time to make a phone call. I called up there customer service and got some sarcastic guy who made me feel like I was a bother. I told him my concerns with the gap at the front of the bed which he ignored my question completely and went on to tell me to contact another guy in the company through email to send me new seals to install myself. I was not happy with this answer and how I was treated. so I took a few pictures and sent a email to this other guy in the company that the customer service guy gave me... and heard nothing. I was very concerned to say the least, so I pulled up my invoice to discover that even though I ordered directly through the companies website, Bak had a distributers fulfill the order. Luckily there customer service was much better but it took a month just to return the cover. however they would not give me 100% of my money back unless I ordered another cover. Which I did not. instead I found running boards I liked. Which I am still waiting for...

In summary
The Bak covers are junk and beware, they feel cheap they leak badly and are engineered terribly. I didn't event try to install the bak box because the water rivered into the front of the truck bed right where the box would have been. It would have soaked all the contents. The company does not listen to its customers when theres a problem. in order to have gotten my money back they required me to get a statement from GM saying that there bed is 1 inch longer. Which is just BS when its public knowledge, also if I just don't like a product can't I just return it?

I don't ever write bad reviews but this was just to much and I didn't what somebody else to get caught up in this crap. STAY FAR WAY FROM BAK Industries!!!

I bought and installed mine from an authorized dealer due to time constrains. Buying online Vs distributor install was not that much more anyway. We are very happy with it. Not 100% leak proof. On a nasty storm a very small drip developed, nothing to really worry about. Our suitcases were dry and secure.
post #65 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 06:30 AM

Don't a Bak tonneau but I know some guys who have this cover and haven't heard any complaints from them.
post #66 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 07:16 AM

I was leaning towards a Bakflip G2 or VP due to ease of install and the low profile look, but then I saw this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B8kBhUynf4. Granted, it is by the Fold-A-Cover guy, but at the end where he basically "slim jims" his way into the cover... I don't plan on keeping anything super valuable in the bed, but to know its that easy to break is a definite CON. Even the cheaper clamp style tri-folds have better security.
post #67 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 08:47 AM

Any cover can be easily broken into and would not resist a pry bar commonly used by amateur thieves to open your homes front door. No need for a coat hanger and fiddling around to snag the dangling wire. If I was concerned about that I would simply install a small piece of Plexiglas held in place by a couple of screws that would still allow access to the wire but would deflect a coat hanger. Enough to frustrate a thief but again a pry bar would crack the lid open on any cover.
post #68 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 04:56 PM

Garage
I know I previously posted with some concerns based on all the complaints about fitment, but nothing else out there really grabbed my attention. I watched the video on YouTube from SEMA '15 about the MX4 cover release. THIS one really caught my eye. It doesnt look so "generic" having a much smoother (almost non existent texture) and the color is as close as possible, if not dead on to the bed caps. Once I got the word it finally released, I pulled the trigger and ordered one. Had it by the end of the week, test fit in less than 5 minutes and fully installed in under 30 minutes. I had two of the G2 series on my 1st Gens and never had issues with them other than getting a "chauky" look after about 6 years. Never leaked, fit great. Im really not understanding where all the complaints are coming from. 1-2 hours to install? SERIOUSLY??? The instructions are cut and dry telling you what tools you need and where to place the 3 clamps down each side. So why say the instructions suck? Customer service sucks? I had no problem when I talked to them about my last G2 getting dull looking. Guy was very polite that I talked to and explained that wax is the enemy of these covers, that if I was taking it through an auto wash and getting the best offered, thats why it got that look. Told me to use a wax stripper, wash by hand with hot soapy water, let dry and repeat if necessary til the dull look was gone. Then referred using either 303 cleaner or another silicone free cleaner of my choice to keep it looking good. Well guess what.......he was right and it worked. So all in all.......3 covers now over the years from them. Not a single fitment issue. Never had a leak (unless caught in an all out downpour). And an awesome experience with customer service that allowed me to restore the look of my dulled down cover to just like new. Personally, I back these covers and would buy again or recommend to others.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160506_161259bbb.jpg (67.8 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg 20160506_161328bbb.jpg (76.4 KB, 82 views)
impact likes this.

2016 CCSB LT V6 --- Purchased Oct. 15 2015 --- LT Convenience Package --- Tow Package w/ Locking Rear Diff --- GM Black Bowties --- AVS Vent Visors --- Belltech Lowering Kit
Air Dam Mod --- Bakflip MX4 Hard Folding Cover --- Line-X Bed Liner --- 20x8.5 American Racing AR914's +15 offset --- 255/50 Nitto 421Q's

Lowering Thread: http://coloradofans.com/forums/193-2...t-lowered.html
post #69 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 03:12 PM

Garage
I purchased a BAKFlip VP in February for my Canyon short box. Fits the bed well and I like the sleekness and the vinyl skin that makes it look like one piece when closed. However some of the seals have come unglued. Or more like un-taped because it appears the rubber edge seals are simply stuck to the metal edging with double sided sticky tape. I emailed BAKFlip directly at support@bakindustries.com with the pictures I've attached to this post. They didn't really acknowledge me as a person, a representative emailed another representative and copied me on the email telling them to mail me a flap seal repair kit. I guess for $750, I first off wouldn't expect the thing to be falling apart already, and second, would have been nice to get a quick greeting from the representative and explain what's being sent to me and how I will now need to fix my own cover. It's still under the 1 year warranty. I guess I'll see what they mail me. I'm guessing it will be a roll of double sided sticky tape...
If anyone else is having this issue, I can reply once the seal repair kit arrives.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160709_125055 (2).jpg (113.9 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 20160709_125131 (1).jpg (114.6 KB, 68 views)
post #70 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 09:16 AM

Garage
I got the flap seal repair kit I referenced in my last post. Basically a new seal with pre-applied double sided tape. I followed the directions which told me to remove the old seal, remove any remaining adhesive from the metal edge, wipe it down with the provided alcohol pad, scuff the surface with the provided scrubby pad, apply 3M adhesive primer, wait 5 minutes, and then stick the new flap seal on. All seems fine for now. I don't like that the directions explained that the kit came with 2 flap seals, and to save the second seal for future use. Does this mean they simply expect their product to fail?
Again, for $750, I would expect a perfect product, and a smile/apology from customer service when I contacted them with the failure.
Hopefully my repair stays in place and I don't need to mess with it again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160909_110427.jpg (98.2 KB, 32 views)
post #71 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 10:29 AM

I like the looks of the trifolds better than standard roll-up but Christ BAK stuff is expensive!
Imo I don't see the benefits of a $700+ cover. **** you could buy a few roll-up or other covers for the same price.

After hearing stuff about the customer service even less interested.

2016 Red Rock LT CC SB v6 4x4

Eibach Shocks all around w/GM rear blocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo tonneau, Bull rings, Zevo LEDs, Westin steps, Fog Lights w/JDMAstar LED, Rear LED pods, Lumen G7s LED Headlights, Factory Remote Start, Dash Cam w/Invisicord, Husky Liners, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread
Front bumper removal How-To
Rear Shock/lift Blocks How-To
post #72 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 12:09 AM

Question Question on MX4 Install

I put the rails on for my Bakflip MX4 tonight and used the angle shims as they are required for this truck. My cover came with 2 sizes of these shims. I used the larger ones b/c that was the size needed to fill the gap between the factory bed cap and truck rail. This got the Bak rails square with the truck. Perfect....except, the clamps don't seem to be wide enough for this gap. They close sort of like a "V" because the thickness is too much for this size clamp. A "V" exadurates the issue a bit but I would expect both sides of the clamp to be parallel. It may be okay but doesn't look right to me. I watched the Silverado install online and they are parallel but no shims required for the full size trucks. It seems like my clamps are for them and not the Colorado. Anyone else notice this? Any videos or pics showing the clamps on-line? Crazy - 5 min. before I noticed this I was happy with how easy to install. Thanks.
post #73 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 10:45 PM

How did you end up with the MX4 and the shims? I just installed one tonight on my 2017 Colorado and didn't use any shims at all and it seems to fit perfect.
post #74 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackda View Post
How did you end up with the MX4 and the shims? I just installed one tonight on my 2017 Colorado and didn't use any shims at all and it seems to fit perfect.
I used the shims and left it. Found other install pics with similar looking clamps. Put the cover on and it works fine. The rails may have been bent a bit but not sure. I like this cover. It leaks a bit but that could be due to the rail issue. It got cold here and I haven't messed with it since the install. I'll be putting one on a friends '17 Colorado when it comes in this Spring so I'll see if it's the same.

I do remember that I wouldn't have had the clamp issue if I hadn't used the shims. But I think the rails would have angled in a bit towards the center of the bed. Maybe the gap between the bed cap and truck rails are different on some trucks since it's not visible. I dunno - I just remember the instructions saying the included shims were needed on my truck. So I used them.

2016 Colorado Z71 4x4 CCSB Cyber Gray
Bak MX4

Last edited by New Z71; 01-24-2017 at 11:27 PM.
post #75 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 11:27 PM

Garage
I had a similar issue as the OP had. For my long box I think the MX4 cover is an inch too short. For those who want to see some photos check out BakFlip Vp Cover

The cover is well made and I was able to get it to seal correctly but there's no doubt it could be a little longer.

2016 Colorado LT 4X4 | Crew Cab | Long Box | Red Rock Metallic | Convenience Package | BAKFlip MX4 Tonneau Cover | Westin Stainless Steel 4" Pro TraXX Oval Side Step Bars
post #76 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 07:38 PM

I am ready to install my MX4. I have several friends with these and no leaks and no issues.

The key is to follow the instructions and to use a little common sense to get the adjustments right.

The shims above are required by the instructions. But they do give two sizes. I would say the smaller ones may need to be used if the clamps are not parallel. To be sure I will call them tomarrow to make sure just to get it right.

Too often people have troubles that are self inflicted.

One thing I have noted here locally many have seal problems in the back as some models have to have the tailgate shut first before you drop the lid. If you don't the seal is damaged. The MX4 is now offered with a seal that can let the tailgate shut with the top closed. Not all models offer this such as VP.

The install time on this is only minutes not hours and that is even taking time to adjust it properly.

This is a fine cover and will work well if you read the instructions and take care on the install. If you can not do that have it installed.

The Bedrug is the same way too. Easy install and just a need to follow the instructions and or ask a question should you have one.

As for Customer Service well in the aftermarket world most of these companies are staffed small. It is tough to make money and what appears to be large companies can end up being only a handful of people and only a couple in the office.

I deal with most major MFG and know many of the people that work for them and the staffs are so small I know them on a first name basis. I have also visited many MFG and it is shocking how much work some of these companies do with such small buildings and staff. To be honest it is impressive.

While it is a shame they give up some of the personal touch the prices would be much higher if they had more people working there. So if you can deal with out a major reply you may just save some money.

Note that larger holdings are buying up companies like crazy. Holley owns many of the major brands now because many were going out of business. The only way they can keep them alive is collectively.

The cyber retail world and imports have made it tough to make money in this market.
post #77 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFI View Post
Mixed reviews occur when there are large variances in the quality of the product.
Large variance are often due to the installers skills.
post #78 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 08:48 PM

Garage
I had the VP, and went thru same ordeal as @brperz. I had the adhesive let go on the perimeter seal, and also hinge seals, 2 months past the warranty. I contacted my distributer, who contacted BAK, and they replaced the cover (only). 1 month after installing the replacement cover, the tailgate seal fell off, which they sent me a replacement kit to self install. The adhesive didn't seem to adhere properly, so prepped it how I felt would be better. Traded the truck 3 months later with it still holding strong.
Ordered 2 BAK Revolver X2's from the same distributer for our current trucks, which he took really, really good care of me because of the issue, and repeat business. Buying from a distributer gives an extra layer of service to have on your side.
post #79 of 79 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 10:05 AM

Where here is my install experience.

The MX4 came in less than two weeks from order. Note they are built to order as most companies do not carry everything in stock due to the expense. But it only took them a day to build.

I pulled it out and installed it with no problem. It is key to get the alignment right or I can see very easily where it can leak.

I did have two small gaps in the bulkhead about 4" long. I contacted BAK to see if I missed anything and I did not. They are sending me the seal I thought would resolve the issue with out even asking. I suspect the bed caps are holding it up just a wee bit.

The install went on great otherwise and no issues with seals or the like. I do have the 3 year warranty also if I do have any issue I am handy enough just to deal with it.

I have several co workers with the same covers with no issues and one even has had his on three different trucks.

I also added the Bedrug and all fit just sweet. The drains go to the small round plugs at the front and I did not need to pup the oval bed plugs. I drilled them out and changed my mind so I put my spares in. Water drains away fast and easy.

I have installed many covers and this was pretty painless. Because there are some variables you do need to really watch how you line it up. But you do not need to be Mr Goodwrench to do that.

The new universal tailgate seal is great as you no longer need to shut the gate first lifting the top to close it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode