Do not buy a Bak Flip Cover! - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Do not buy a Bak Flip Cover!

I recently purchased a Bak Flip HD with Bak Box for my 2015 Chevy Colorado. Do not purchase a single product from this company. They are the worst to deal with. There customer service is horrifying and there products are terrible.

I purchase a Bak HD cover for my new Colorado with a bak box, it took 3 weeks to arrive. Once it arrived... I installed it that night. The instruction are not very good and it took me 1-2 hours to install. I took my time because I didn't want to mess up my new truck, of course. When I was finished, I noticed that the cover was 1 inch to short!. thinking I just installed it wrong I adjusted it to flush up with the tailgate which left a large gap at the front of the bed. It was late so I went to bed, then work the next day. when I got home... I went to take another look at the cove and noticed the seals had baked off in the sun! I though to myself, its time to make a phone call. I called up there customer service and got some sarcastic guy who made me feel like I was a bother. I told him my concerns with the gap at the front of the bed which he ignored my question completely and went on to tell me to contact another guy in the company through email to send me new seals to install myself. I was not happy with this answer and how I was treated. so I took a few pictures and sent a email to this other guy in the company that the customer service guy gave me... and heard nothing. I was very concerned to say the least, so I pulled up my invoice to discover that even though I ordered directly through the companies website, Bak had a distributers fulfill the order. Luckily there customer service was much better but it took a month just to return the cover. however they would not give me 100% of my money back unless I ordered another cover. Which I did not. instead I found running boards I liked. Which I am still waiting for...

In summary
The Bak covers are junk and beware, they feel cheap they leak badly and are engineered terribly. I didn't event try to install the bak box because the water rivered into the front of the truck bed right where the box would have been. It would have soaked all the contents. The company does not listen to its customers when theres a problem. in order to have gotten my money back they required me to get a statement from GM saying that there bed is 1 inch longer. Which is just BS when its public knowledge, also if I just don't like a product can't I just return it?

I don't ever write bad reviews but this was just to much and I didn't what somebody else to get caught up in this crap. STAY FAR WAY FROM BAK Industries!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2015-06-09 at 10.52.17 PM.jpg (86.0 KB, 899 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2015-06-09 at 10.51.50 PM.png (947.2 KB, 827 views)

Last edited by Spiren; 06-09-2015 at 11:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 11:18 PM

I bought the Bak VP and Bak box, received in 2 days. It's a Southern Calif Company so fast shipping to my house. Xlint customer service and I watched how to install on there many U Tube videos. Perfect fit, no leaks. Would buy again.
Blev2922 likes this.
post #3 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 11:27 PM

What is your bed configuration? This guy has a similar experience with the name brand (different series).
http://coloradofans.com/forums/169-a...short-box.html

This guy however, no problems. From the pictures, I have to assume his truck is the shot box?
http://coloradofans.com/forums/169-a...installed.html
Same thread, this guy is happy as well
Pictures of Bak Flip VP installed

It sounds a lot like you kinda got a bad product whereas the others seem to be mostly satisfied (except the one dude who was also shorted).
Spiren likes this.

post #4 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 12:34 AM

Garage
**** man that suck. I had and issue where the third party didn't sent the rail. I call BAK and they connected me to the "right guy" to talked to with the third party. Two days later I have rails waiting for me when I get home from work.

2015 GMC Canyon, Crew Cab, Silver Gray Metallic, V6, BAK Flip VP, Lund Bed Extender
post #5 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 08:57 PM

Sorry to hear of your issue. If you are still stuck (i know you said you ordered running bars) you may want to try the BAKFlip FiberMax cover. When I received it, it had a manufacture date of the week before. My wife and I installed it in less than 45 minutes without the directions (just by previously watching youtube video). It took NO adjustment what so ever and fits perfectly. (She was stunned, I was confident cause men don't need directions...lol) As a matter of fact it fits so good that i didn't install the drain tubes and after the heavy rains here in the NE I still didn't have water. FWIW my cover also falls below the 3rd light. Will post pics next Wednesday if anyone is interested.

2015 Colorado CC SB Z71 Brownstone - Bose - Wheel Flares - Spray in Liner - Trailering Package - Gear On divider - Weathertech Liners - AVS Aeroskin
Bakflip Fibermax - Iron Cross Steps

3/21/15 Ordered
4/02 GM Chat - TPW 5/11/15
4/09 GM Chat - TPW 5/04/15 - Code 3000
4/21 GM Chat - TPW 5/04/15 - Code 3000
4/30 GM Chat - TPW 5/04/15 - Code 3300
5/05 GM Chat - TPW 5/04/15 - Code 3400
5/11 GM Chat - Produced VIN supplied - Code 4000
5/16 GM Chat - Code 43000
06/04 - Picked up!
post #6 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 03:43 PM

I purchased a BakFlip G2 for my 2015 Canyon Crew Cab Short Bed. When I ordered it the salesman said he would have it sent from the factory as there had been some manufactured that were not the correct size and they may be at distributors. Mine came from CA within 5 days. It took me 45 minutes to install including front to back adjustments. Of course, I had previously installed on a Ford Ranger I had, so I had experience. The cover fits well and is more water tight than the one on the Ranger. Sorry you had problems, but I am very happy with my cover.
post #7 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 04:01 PM

Garage
Very sorry you are having such a bad time with your BakFlip. I had one on my previous F150 and couldn't wait to get another one for my new Colorado. Installation took 20 min tops too, but I knew what I was doing the 2nd time around. First Bakflip install took about 45 min, like someone else mentioned. No cover is 100% waterproof though. If I lived closer, I would surely stop over and help a brotha out!!! Hate to hear this though because I love my Bakflip!

2015 Chevy Colorado Z71, Crew Cab, 4WD, V6, Long Box
Mods:
LT265/70R17 BFGoodrich KO2's
Bakflip G2 Bed Cover
2" Rough Country Lift/Level
Air Dam Removed

2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ - Admirals Wheels
2008 Four Winns H220 Boat, Frenzy Edition, 320hp
Traded In - 2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost
post #8 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 04:03 PM

Garage
Oh yeah, I bought my Bakflip thru AutoAnything.com if that helps.

2015 Chevy Colorado Z71, Crew Cab, 4WD, V6, Long Box
Mods:
LT265/70R17 BFGoodrich KO2's
Bakflip G2 Bed Cover
2" Rough Country Lift/Level
Air Dam Removed

2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ - Admirals Wheels
2008 Four Winns H220 Boat, Frenzy Edition, 320hp
Traded In - 2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost
post #9 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken46 View Post
I purchased a BakFlip G2 for my 2015 Canyon Crew Cab Short Bed. When I ordered it the salesman said he would have it sent from the factory as there had been some manufactured that were not the correct size and they may be at distributors. Mine came from CA within 5 days. It took me 45 minutes to install including front to back adjustments. Of course, I had previously installed on a Ford Ranger I had, so I had experience. The cover fits well and is more water tight than the one on the Ranger. Sorry you had problems, but I am very happy with my cover.
I ended up with the "incorrect size" that covered the brake light after purchasing from the local dealer but a quick phone call to BAK industries and within a few days I had the correct cover in hand. They said to keep the original cover or discard it.

Excellent customer service and very happy with my purchase.

Sorry to hear that the OP's experience was less than favourable.
post #10 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 10:02 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiren View Post
I recently purchased a Bak Flip HD with Bak Box for my 2015 Chevy Colorado. Do not purchase a single product from this company. They are the worst to deal with. There customer service is horrifying and there products are terrible.

I purchase a Bak HD cover for my new Colorado with a bak box, it took 3 weeks to arrive. Once it arrived... I installed it that night. The instruction are not very good and it took me 1-2 hours to install. I took my time because I didn't want to mess up my new truck, of course. When I was finished, I noticed that the cover was 1 inch to short!. thinking I just installed it wrong I adjusted it to flush up with the tailgate which left a large gap at the front of the bed. It was late so I went to bed, then work the next day. when I got home... I went to take another look at the cove and noticed the seals had baked off in the sun! I though to myself, its time to make a phone call. I called up there customer service and got some sarcastic guy who made me feel like I was a bother. I told him my concerns with the gap at the front of the bed which he ignored my question completely and went on to tell me to contact another guy in the company through email to send me new seals to install myself. I was not happy with this answer and how I was treated. so I took a few pictures and sent a email to this other guy in the company that the customer service guy gave me... and heard nothing. I was very concerned to say the least, so I pulled up my invoice to discover that even though I ordered directly through the companies website, Bak had a distributers fulfill the order. Luckily there customer service was much better but it took a month just to return the cover. however they would not give me 100% of my money back unless I ordered another cover. Which I did not. instead I found running boards I liked. Which I am still waiting for...

In summary
The Bak covers are junk and beware, they feel cheap they leak badly and are engineered terribly. I didn't event try to install the bak box because the water rivered into the front of the truck bed right where the box would have been. It would have soaked all the contents. The company does not listen to its customers when theres a problem. in order to have gotten my money back they required me to get a statement from GM saying that there bed is 1 inch longer. Which is just BS when its public knowledge, also if I just don't like a product can't I just return it?

I don't ever write bad reviews but this was just to much and I didn't what somebody else to get caught up in this crap. STAY FAR WAY FROM BAK Industries!!!
I bought one from dealer on my 2015 Canyon and they installed.....all's perfect. Looks to me your not a mechanic???
post #11 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 11:26 AM
CFI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Prendergast View Post
I bought one from dealer on my 2015 Canyon and they installed.....all's perfect. Looks to me your not a mechanic???
Even if he is not a mechanic, one might believe that a company selling a $200 bed cover for $600 would want their customers totally satified instead on complaining in public.
Toughsox, LeboMan, Spiren and 5 others like this.
post #12 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 08:21 AM

People have mixed reviews about it. It's confusing.

2006 Chevrolet Colorado LT 4dr Crew Cab SB
post #13 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 04:00 PM
CFI

Quote:
Originally Posted by heregoestony View Post
People have mixed reviews about it. It's confusing.
Mixed reviews occur when there are large variances in the quality of the product.
Southern Illinois likes this.
post #14 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 04:24 PM

I am satisfied with the fit and ease of installation. I also have the special rails with the ladder rack that I use with my kayaks.
post #15 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I wanted to post an update. I received my Iron Cross running boards in exchange for the Bak Cover & Box through Auto Customs. Whom I am very thankful for (good company). I still can't believe Bak pushed me off onto one of there distributors, even tho I purchased directly from them, just does not make sense. Still waiting on the rest of the credit to be posted to my card. But on a positive note The running boards are awesome! Great product from Iron cross. I also purchased a fold a cover and installed it at the same time. After hearing good reviews on this site about them, I decided to try it. So far so good. dry and it fits. easy install too. Thanks for everyones feedback such a range of mixed results.
savagebob and Esoxchaser like this.
post #16 of 79 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 11:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiren View Post
I wanted to post an update. I received my Iron Cross running boards in exchange for the Bak Cover & Box through Auto Customs. Whom I am very thankful for (good company). I still can't believe Bak pushed me off onto one of there distributors, even tho I purchased directly from them, just does not make sense. Still waiting on the rest of the credit to be posted to my card. But on a positive note The running boards are awesome! Great product from Iron cross. I also purchased a fold a cover and installed it at the same time. After hearing good reviews on this site about them, I decided to try it. So far so good. dry and it fits. easy install too. Thanks for everyones feedback such a range of mixed results.
Glad it worked out for you, and are happy with the replacement items.
savagebob likes this.
post #17 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 06:37 PM

Garage
I have had Bak Flips on my last two trucks. On my previous truck a 2012 F150 FX2 extended cab had no problems installing and very little leakage, basically had to be raining cats and dogs for it to leak any. I just put a Bak Flip Fiber Max on my Canyon extended cab and after installing at first thought the same thing, this cover is too small. The front edge of the cover does not need to go all the way to the edge of the bed by the back window. I shifted it back where there was no gap by tailgate and same as my F150 no problems or leakage to complain about installed on my Canyon
post #18 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 07:27 PM

Bakflip isnt as good as they make you believe. I'm very disappointed with my fibermax. When I opened the package, there were metal shaving throughout the cover. The thing leaks like crazy and the instructions were pretty bad as mentioned above. Lastly, It just doesnt feel like a quality product. There is so much play in the cover that it can be pushed from side to side over an inch. If I had to do it again, I would choose something else
post #19 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 08:46 PM

bak covers

bought a rollx ,was 1/2 inch short--- bak replaced it with a revolverx2 1/2 inch longer--- new truck model 2015 gmc canyon cc short box--- new cover fits good--give them a break---
post #20 of 79 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 09:35 PM

I have the 2015 chevy colorado and got a bak flip CS series with racks. I love it and it fits well. I have noticed on days with heavy rain, that I get some water coming into the front of the cargo bed. It might be because of not installing the weather sticker in between the bed liner and the bak flip cover. I put one in, and I still have a little leakage. Anyone else have leaking issues?

I still love its durability, and hard cover feel for good protection. And anyone who needs a rack to load stuff (I put my kayaks) on top while still having a cover for you cargo bed, the CS series is one of the few out there that lets you do that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode