After market radio - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By mistaake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

After market radio

Who makes a good after market radio that fills up the space rather then using a kit to make up the difference of the space? My CD player stopped working and Gm wants $200 for a new radio that will probably not last long, some of the back lights are going out, blah.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 08:36 PM

Your average cost for a double din made with any average reliability will run around $150+.

By the time you add in the necessary appurtenances you'll be similar cost. $30-$50 for a solid dash kit. $80 for a wire harness ($40 online). $15 antenna adapter. That will be your basic double DIN. Same cost and parts for a single DIN.

I can't speak to the cost and/or reliability of a cheaper brand/product. My HU cost estimates would be something like a basic Sony, Alpine, Kenwood.....etc.

There are for sure sub $100 units but I suppose it will depend on the features you're looking for.
Like I said, the above appurtenances are the same no matter which unit you purchase....it's up to you then to find the HU that suits your needs.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Thx you!!! I was also maybe wanting to keep it stock too, and buy a new radio off of Ebay, $230, but now after seeing you have to have a dealer unlock it for maybe $50 to $100 bucks, nah , ill pass.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 09:01 PM

Garage
This is the route I went - my 2007 Colorado only came with an AM/FM radio and the knobs didn't even work right.

You can shop around on Amazon for a better price on stuff but I chose Crutchfields for ease of ordering :)

Installation took about half an hour taking my time no hurry.
Attached Images
File Type: png colorado_radio.png (101.8 KB, 59 views)
Max57 and APACHEMIC like this.

07 Colorado LS, 2.9L, 4L60E, 2WD, 72K (Dec 2015)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 09:37 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistaake View Post
This is the route I went - my 2007 Colorado only came with an AM/FM radio and the knobs didn't even work right.

You can shop around on Amazon for a better price on stuff but I chose Crutchfields for ease of ordering :)

Installation took about half an hour taking my time no hurry.
I have to agree regarding Crutchfield. I've used them for more years than I care to list and have never had a bad experience with them. Their support techs are also great. Extremely knowledgeable and patient.

I recently replaced my stock radio in my 2008 Canyon with Pioneer model (AVH-X2700BS) from Crutchfield. Very simple install and perfect options for my needs.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 09:53 AM

My 1st order from Crutchfield was in 1979. I have placed MANY orders with then since then and have never been disappointed.

You can get the Pioneer FH-X720BT with wiring adapter, dash kit and antenna adapter for $143.97 shipped. I put that model in my wife's DD and she loves it.

War Dang Eagle !!!

2016 Lazer Blue Long Bed Crew Cab

Cut the Dang Wire Already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by WDEagle; 02-05-2016 at 09:55 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 12:43 PM

I will reinforce that Crutchfield is the best place for car stereos without a doubt. I went the single DIN route. I paid $137.46 shipped for a Sony MEX-N5100BT, antenna adapter, radio adapter, the wiring interface (bells and chimes), and the dash kit (the filler for the other space under the radio). I personally went for a single DIN so that I could have that extra space under the radio, but I'm also in a single cab work truck with almost zero storage.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 11:34 AM
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 11:55 PM

Garage
Plenty of support here already for Crutchfield, but they get my 2 cents as well. Now that I'm beyond support on most of my projects I don't buy from them much anymore, but even when I've been trying to find an interesting situation (antenna adapter from a Chevy HHR antenna to a GM factory stereo in a S10) they were beyond helpful and got me the right thing - even though they sent me the wrong one first, on an order JUST for an antenna adapter they sent me the correct one for free.

When it comes to stereos I've had the best luck with Sony, although if you ever want to go with Sony amps I highly recommend sticking with a Sony HU. Their preout voltages run a little differently...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 12:34 PM

Garage
One of my first modifications to my '07 was a Kenwood double Din stereo and it's ran great after 8+ years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode