2nd Gen stock rims on 1st get z71 possible? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Blue15ColoradoLT
  • 1 Post By heatseeker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

2nd Gen stock rims on 1st get z71 possible?

hey yall new here from Texas, and I own a 2006 z71 crew cab colorado, and my question is that even tho I like the rims that it has I have fallen in love with the new stock rims from the new 2015-16 stock rims so my question would be, could the the stock rims from the second generation colorados fit the first generation colorados I really like them and would like to know if it would fit... thanks in advance for your help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20131119_094226_1457971585492.jpg (225.9 KB, 77 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 12:08 PM
ADMIN

Garage
not straight up.

2nd gen bolt pattern is 6X120 while 1st gen is 6X139.7

You can add this adapter to make them work:

6 X 139.7 to 6 X 120 Wheel Adapter/ Wheel Spacer
Kc2Buk likes this.

2015 Laser Blue Colorado LT
CC, 4X4, V6, SB

Mods:
LED light bar - 32"
HID headlights
LED fog lights
LED high beams
LED reverse lights
LED license plate lights
LED visor lights
LED dome lights
LED switchback front turn signal lights
LED cargo light turn signal conversion
LED bed lights
LED tail lights
LED sidemarkers
Canyon swapped tail lights
Red painted calipers
Supermod ported throttle body
Silver metallic rally stripes
Super Skidz skid plate
Volant CAI

Have a Colorado but want Canyon tail lights? Or vice versa CLICK HERE

***NOTE***
SITE RULES

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 12:10 PM

Has anyone here use the adapters and installed the 2nd Gen wheels? I would like to see a pic if so. Especially on a 4X4.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 09:05 PM

I'm a new member and recently purchased an 05 Colorado. Wanted to tease you guys with this recent purchase. Don't have the adaptors yet. Followed the link and was NOT happy about that price. So shopping around for now, so until then!! also, would this be a first? didn't see any other pics indicating other wise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41147 (1).jpg (307.4 KB, 85 views)

All Blue Bowtie Boy
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatseeker View Post
I'm a new member and recently purchased an 05 Colorado. Wanted to tease you guys with this recent purchase. Don't have the adaptors yet. Followed the link and was NOT happy about that price. So shopping around for now, so until then!! also, would this be a first? didn't see any other pics indicating other wise.
Those would look really nice.

I've never seen anyone do it before.

2008 GMC Canyon, 3.7 I5, Off Road 4x4, Inferno Orange.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
The link provided shows when you buy two or more they are $62 a piece, that's about average for any decent spacer or adapter.

You shouldn't cheap out on something like that. It will be the component holding your wheels to the truck...
For anyone that does this though, don't forget that the adapter will push the wheel offset out the width of the adapter, probably 1-2inches. Also make sure that the inner diameter for the hub is the same or get hubcentric rings to adapt.

My experience using spacer/adapters, if you run them long or any bit during the winter, they will corrode. Most are aluminum which will experience galvanic corrosion with the rest of the steel suspension pieces. Put an antisieze compound or something between the adapter and the rotor surface. Also becareful when removing the lug nuts if they've been on a long time. Can be quite corroded as well

2016 Red Rock LT CC SB v6 4x4

Eibach Shocks all around w/GM rear blocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo tonneau, Bull rings, Zevo LEDs, Westin steps, Fog Lights w/JDMAstar LED, Rear LED pods, Lumen G7s LED Headlights, Factory Remote Start, Dash Cam w/Invisicord, Husky Liners, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread
Front bumper removal How-To
Rear Shock/lift Blocks How-To
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser67 View Post
The link provided shows when you buy two or more they are $62 a piece, that's about average for any decent spacer or adapter.

You shouldn't cheap out on something like that. It will be the component holding your wheels to the truck...
For anyone that does this though, don't forget that the adapter will push the wheel offset out the width of the adapter, probably 1-2inches. Also make sure that the inner diameter for the hub is the same or get hubcentric rings to adapt.

My experience using spacer/adapters, if you run them long or any bit during the winter, they will corrode. Most are aluminum which will experience galvanic corrosion with the rest of the steel suspension pieces. Put an antisieze compound or something between the adapter and the rotor surface. Also becareful when removing the lug nuts if they've been on a long time. Can be quite corroded as well
I really am humbled being on here. I appreciate so much of the knowledge. I don't so much mind the adapter acting as a spacer because its a look I wanted to achieve anyways. As far as the aluminum, I do plan on running in the snow, how long are we talking before the corrosions becomes risky? I wouldn't mind changing out every 2 winters or so but hopefully they last longer than that. Lastly, I don't see on the link for the adapters the measurement for the inner diameter of the adapter. I know the hub pilot diameter is 3.35 in. Should I essentially ask for 6 x 139.7 to 6 x 120 adapters with an inner diameter of 3.35in? Again, thank you all so much for the support

All Blue Bowtie Boy
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 11:16 AM

Upon further investigation (because 3.35 inches sounded so wrong lol) The company cutom mkes the adapters and will ensure they be hub centric

All Blue Bowtie Boy

Last edited by heatseeker; 09-08-2016 at 11:31 AM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
I really am humbled being on here. I appreciate so much of the knowledge. I don't so much mind the adapter acting as a spacer because its a look I wanted to achieve anyways. As far as the aluminum, I do plan on running in the snow, how long are we talking before the corrosions becomes risky? I wouldn't mind changing out every 2 winters or so but hopefully they last longer than that. Lastly, I don't see on the link for the adapters the measurement for the inner diameter of the adapter. I know the hub pilot diameter is 3.35 in. Should I essentially ask for 6 x 139.7 to 6 x 120 adapters with an inner diameter of 3.35in? Again, thank you all so much for the support
No problem.
The corrosion won't as much compromise the adapter as much as make it very hard to remove or sometimes snap a lug. After a while, I ended up grinding a notch on each spacer so that I could fit a small chisel to assist removing them when I wanted to.
My brother who used adapters for wheels had a reaaaaaaaaaaally hard time getting them off recently. Due to the corrosion, his lug nuts were seized onto the adapter lugs. Stripped the nut clean. Had to drill off and ended up gouging the shoulder of the wheel, weld filled it and redrilled (they were rep Porsche wheels).

I would recommend using your stock wheels during the winter and the new wheels for all other times. Would benefit in that you don't damage the nice wheels with the winter salt and everything and don't have to worry about the adapters causing any problem. You could also run different tires for spring-fall use or off road or anything you want to do and have a better snow tire for the winter on the stock wheels. If you do use the adapters through the winter where salt is used, be liberal with anitsieze or something on the surface and possibly lug threads.

As far as the hub diameter goes, I have no idea what it actually is, if they were the same then that would be great but most times the adapter/spacer diameter is larger to fit more vehicles. With it being larger it can cause vibrations and put more stress on lugs.

2016 Red Rock LT CC SB v6 4x4

Eibach Shocks all around w/GM rear blocks, Dee Zee bed mat, TruXedo tonneau, Bull rings, Zevo LEDs, Westin steps, Fog Lights w/JDMAstar LED, Rear LED pods, Lumen G7s LED Headlights, Factory Remote Start, Dash Cam w/Invisicord, Husky Liners, Canyon console lid, Black badges and grill, Trifecta

My build thread
Front bumper removal How-To
Rear Shock/lift Blocks How-To
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 08:53 PM

Finally! 2nd GEN Wheels on a 1st Gen Body

Well boys, I've done it. Please let me know what you think. Also, just looking at the body, and knowing the mileage is 152,000 anyone think i could sell for $10,000. Runs excellent. Interior is CLEAN. Manual w/ 4 wheel drive. Thanks for all the help here @ coloradofans.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161115_141903.jpg (321.0 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 20161115_141953.jpg (339.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 20161115_142512.jpg (377.2 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 20161115_141930.jpg (360.3 KB, 45 views)

All Blue Bowtie Boy
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 04:25 PM

ITS DOOONNNNEEE!!!!!!! I'm happy with the turnout, let me know what you guys think. And thanks to kaiser67 for all the help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161115_141903.jpg (321.0 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 20161115_142239_2.jpg (324.5 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 20161115_142512.jpg (377.2 KB, 53 views)

All Blue Bowtie Boy
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 10:24 PM

Quote:
ITS DOOONNNNEEE!!!!!!! I'm happy with the turnout, let me know what you guys think. And thanks to kaiser67 for all the help.

Looks great!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2008 GMC Canyon, 3.7 I5, Off Road 4x4, Inferno Orange.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
You've got a marker light out.

Resident thread derailer

2016 GMC Canyon SLT: CC SB 4x4

Site Rules

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
But seriously, looks good!

Resident thread derailer

2016 GMC Canyon SLT: CC SB 4x4

Site Rules

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 12:13 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by and_steve View Post
You've got a marker light out.
And water in your right headlight looks like....

Sent from the butt crack of California.
2016 Colorado 4x4 CC SB V6
AS level/lift 2.5" w/1" rear block, diff drop
275/70-17 Cooper AT3 on MotoMetal 970s
Scary, evil, black, warranty voiding catch can from the devil
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScottm View Post
And water in your right headlight looks like....
The marker and headlights will be taken care of I also have to fix the dreaded ABS light before putting tags on and putting her on the road. Thanks for the feedback, I hope everyone enjoys.
I like the look, it doesn't clash despite the "hat tip" to the 2nd Gen colorados" in the wheels. I'll post better pics once the headlights are handled.
JScottM likes this.

All Blue Bowtie Boy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode