Regarding lifted / offroad look (identification?) - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Campberu

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

Regarding lifted / offroad look (identification?)

Hi,

New here, complete rookie.

For ages I've drooled on the semi offroad-trucks I see a few times on the roads in Sweden, and I've really come to like the 1st generation Colorado - as it's both nice looking, not too big and a chevy. Living in the northern parts of Sweden it would be an amazing vehicle to own aswell.

However, my mechanic skills is very limited, and I've come to realise that having a lifted truck takes some know-how and maintenance. It's not really a plug-and-play feature.

Therefore I wanted to ask the experts how "offroady" I can make a pickup truck look without lifting it? How big tires can I fit without modifications?

In the end of the post I've provided a link to picture of a truck I think looks amazing - has this truck been lifted (I bet)? And if so, how much? Would this level of lifting be possible by simply buying a kit and having it installed at a shop? What size of tires is it equipped with? And is there any other modifications made to it? (apart from the frontbumper and the sidesteps)

Any information would be great, thanks :)

This is the car: http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/t...Rep/02235s.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 07:30 AM

to C'Fans.

If your interest is mainly in the 1st generation you might find more information and more early Colorado owners, over at the Nation: www355nation.net This site is geared more toward the 2nd generation.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, and thanks for the tip aswell :)

For some reason it seems like registration has been disabled by the administrator on 355nation.com, any clue for how long?

Also, an added question (it seems like the pickup crowd is fairly slim in Sweden) What *is* the actual diffrence between a regular cab, crew cab and extended cab?

As I said, total rookie :>

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 05:26 AM

So...you're not concerned with offroad capabilities?

There's a HUGE difference between having the offroad capabilities and actually using it.....versus just looking like it.

You do understand - by installing bigger (taller) tires will affect the performance?. It's a gearing thing. The bigger the tires, the more it'll affect performance. If that concerns you - stay with the stock sized tires but go with a more aggressive looking tire. However - aggressive tires (mud terrains) are not the best for daily driving, especially in the rain.

Wider tires might look aggressive - but you'll have concerns with wheel width. You can't put any tire width on any rim.

A mild lift (2" maybe) usually doesn't affect much in terms of performance other than they tend to be a more harsh ride.

There's A LOT to think about and research.

Do some google / forum searching for images of a truck that you like the 'look' of - and ask what their setup is and why they did what they did (so you understand it). Unfortunately, there are no straight answers!
Good Luck!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campberu View Post
Thanks, and thanks for the tip aswell :)

For some reason it seems like registration has been disabled by the administrator on 355nation.com, any clue for how long?

Also, an added question (it seems like the pickup crowd is fairly slim in Sweden) What *is* the actual diffrence between a regular cab, crew cab and extended cab?

As I said, total rookie :>
You really need to get access to 355Nation. Send a message to Blue15ColoradoLT. I think he is a Mod over there also, and might be able to straighten things out. Just click on his name and follow the links.

Regular Cab has two doors and a 6ft (1.8m) bed. The Extended Cab has four doors, the aft doors smaller than the Crew Cab, and a 6ft (1.8m) bed. The Crew Cab has four full doors and a 5ft (1.5m) bed.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie View Post
So...you're not concerned with offroad capabilities?

There's a HUGE difference between having the offroad capabilities and actually using it.....versus just looking like it.

You do understand - by installing bigger (taller) tires will affect the performance?. It's a gearing thing. The bigger the tires, the more it'll affect performance. If that concerns you - stay with the stock sized tires but go with a more aggressive looking tire. However - aggressive tires (mud terrains) are not the best for daily driving, especially in the rain.

Wider tires might look aggressive - but you'll have concerns with wheel width. You can't put any tire width on any rim.

A mild lift (2" maybe) usually doesn't affect much in terms of performance other than they tend to be a more harsh ride.

There's A LOT to think about and research.

Do some google / forum searching for images of a truck that you like the 'look' of - and ask what their setup is and why they did what they did (so you understand it). Unfortunately, there are no straight answers!
Good Luck!
Well, uh, I'm not really going for some sandbuggy or something to bounce around on the mountain slopes with - more like a vehicle I can use to drop a boat off a trailer on a beach somewhere, and getting to work when we've gotten 10 inches of snow one morning, or a bad forest road. I do realise I could probably do this with the standard setup aswell - but I think the trucks (much like the picture I linked) looks so **** fine.

I've got a normal 4 door sedan for the regular highway trips, the truck would be more of a "fun/cool thing to own that looks brutal", I'm tired of the lowered asphalt-lickers. Of course, I would like to be able to use it for highway driving aswell - I don't mind a bumpy ride :P But I'm not looking to build a monstertruck. I would like to be able to use it for normal highway driving aswell.

Thanks for the answers! I'll try to do some research - I figured I ought to start at a forum :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart7881 View Post
You really need to get access to 355Nation. Send a message to Blue15ColoradoLT. I think he is a Mod over there also, and might be able to straighten things out. Just click on his name and follow the links.

Regular Cab has two doors and a 6ft (1.8m) bed. The Extended Cab has four doors, the aft doors smaller than the Crew Cab, and a 6ft (1.8m) bed. The Crew Cab has four full doors and a 5ft (1.5m) bed.
Thanks! I'll give that a try :)
STRONG ARCHER likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode