• 1 Post By GregDAP
  • 1 Post By MolonLabe
  • 1 Post By KM Richards
  • 1 Post By KMW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Throttle body spacer??

i am considering buying a throttle body spacer for my 06 3.5L Colorado. Just wondering if anyone has had one and noticed a big difference? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 02:28 PM

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

Waste of $ in my opinion.

It does make a cool whistle sound though.
Kc2Buk likes this.

2011 Colorado CC Z71 2LT 4X4 3.7L with a few mods

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 09:42 AM

I have a couple of friends who have tried them, and they didn't notice any difference.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 06:37 PM

This question comes up every month or two. Waste of $.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 01:38 AM

A proven waste of money Kijowski. I know a lot of guys want to do something to mod their vehicle and improve the performance. When I had my Mustangs this was of course very common as a lot of guys want to mod their Mustang and make it perform better. Throttle body spacers were a popular seller because the reality is that most owners who want to mod their vehicle don't really have the money it takes to really mod a vehicle and make an actual improvement in performance. As a result things like throttle body spaces and cold air kits are popular sellers because they are something that most guys can easily afford and install but the reality is that they do nothing for your vehicles performance. Modern engines are actually designed to give you really good performance right out of the box. I'm old enough to remember when 300 horsepower was a huge deal and that wasn't that long ago. A 300 hp V6 was unheard of in a run of the mill car or truck. Now it is common place. A lot of this has to do with the advent of computers in modern vehicles that can get peak performance along a much wider spectrum of a vehicles power band thanks to things like VVT and direct injection and so forth. The reality is that if you want to see real and actual gains in performance from your V6 you're going to have to look at things like superchargers, turbo chargers, racing heads, racing internals and so forth. These are all high dollar modifications that will easily set you back thousands of dollars but the reality is that it is the only way to get real and substantial gains on your stock engine. My advice to you if you don't have that kind of extra cash to spend is to just enjoy the truck as it is. Not that long ago a V6 powered S10 pickup didn't even break 200 hp with a larger engine than you have. You're getting just over 300 hp. Trust me, that's good. My advice is don't waste your money on the gimmick mods. If just adding a throttle body spacer could get you better performance from your truck than GM would do it at the factory because it's so cheap and easy to add.
GDI likes this.

Last edited by MolonLabe; 10-22-2016 at 02:43 AM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 02:06 AM

I'm showing my age but back in the 60's, "Gofasters" were all the rage with a certain subset of the population.. A friend's father owned a NAPA store at the time and he sold a ton of them.

Gofasters were a rubber strap that you attached to the frame (preferred) or body of the car and allowed the other end to drag on the ground. The theory was that the strap allowed a path for bleed off of static electricity build up that was slowing down the car.

You might look for one of them and also a magnet to put on the gas line. They should have about the same effect as the spacer.

2005 White 2wd Z71 WT
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n9cv View Post
I'm showing my age but back in the 60's, "Gofasters" were all the rage with a certain subset of the population.. A friend's father owned a NAPA store at the time and he sold a ton of them.

Gofasters were a rubber strap that you attached to the frame (preferred) or body of the car and allowed the other end to drag on the ground. The theory was that the strap allowed a path for bleed off of static electricity build up that was slowing down the car.

You might look for one of them and also a magnet to put on the gas line. They should have about the same effect as the spacer.

LOL I guess it didn't register to them that if something like that were actually true that maybe the four big rubber tires would do the same thing. Come to think of it though I can remember seeing cars with those rubber straps hanging off the back bumper when I was a kid. Never realized that was what they were for.

I can remember getting into a lengthy debate with some idiot on a Mustang forum who insisted that if you turned the ignition key to the on position and then did some procedure that involved pressing the gas pedal and the trip odometer button that it would improve the car's throttle response and make it quicker off the line. I even quoted him word for word from the repair manual that the TPS resets to a default position every time the car is turned off and there is no adjustment. He swore that his car was quicker after this magic pedal pressing routine. lol
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 02:28 PM
GDI
Banned

We had spent thousands on R&D and time/effort and could never come up with a design that we could document any gains from, and in most cases found a loss in power. Waste of money as those before me have posted.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 10:13 PM

Well, I installed a gofaster, a magnet on the gas line, and a spacer... and I got .000000019 faster times from one read light to another.

So, it does make a difference guys, no really... it does, I promise, no really
GDI likes this.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 10:22 PM
KMW

They are a hold over from the days of carburetors, where spacers under the carb would increase the air flow speed, and improve the mixing of the air with the fuel before entering the combustion chambers. If you look at some old-school built motors you see the carb sitting way up high above the intake on tall spacers. They called them velocity stacks.

The problem with this on modern fuel injected motors is the fuel is injected right at the intake port, or on these newest motors, directly into the combustion chamber. So there's no extra mixing of the fuel and air.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
GDI likes this.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 10:57 AM
GDI
Banned

Turbonator anyone?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolonLabe View Post
. . . Come to think of it though I can remember seeing cars with those rubber straps hanging off the back bumper when I was a kid. Never realized that was what they were for . . . l
As do I. I always just thought they had some strap or part that had come loose, lol

Gotta love automotive snake oil.

Red 2005 Colorado Quad cab Z71 4X4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode