Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Good aftermarket Tailgate handle and body question?

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  rodhot 
#1 · (Edited)
A couple questions for you guru’s out there.
1) Doing some bondo work on my truck underneath/tucked under the driver and passengers doors I have a bunch of rust around these plastic “plugs” Can anyone tell me what these plugs/caps are for and if bondoing them shut would be a bad idea? At first I thought they would be for some time of drainage/etc but they don’t have holes them so they don’t seem to weep in anyway.

2) My tailgate handle rarely works. I opened the access panel to see the back side of the handle and I noticed that where the handle presses on the linkage it’s rather wore down. That being said I think just replacing it is the way to go. I see the GM part is $85 therefore I’m wondering if anyone has had good luck with any aftermarket brands off ebay, etc? Sounds like a lot of people have had trouble with these handles?

Thanks much!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't know the purpose of those holes, but someone here should. There doesn't seem to be an advantage to permanently blocking them, though.

I purchased an aftermarket tailgate handle, to upgrade to one with a lock, and haven't had any problems with it. That was a few years ago and I don't remember the EBay Seller. One secret to keeping the tailgate opening smoothly is to insure the strikers on each end of the tailgate are lubed. Some guys, out of habit, will press in on the tailgate when lifting the latch. If you don't need the lock, you could get an OEM handle without it, for a bit less, part number 97319415

#3 ·
Thanks Cart7881

Thanks for getting back to me, I've called a couple reputable parts stores around me and they haven't had the handle so I think I will get one off Ebay but I always just worry about the quality I'm getting. As for the holes, I was thinking if they aren't needed that I would just bondo them closed as they seem to be full or rust and half of the caps in them have snapped off during removal.

#4 ·
The plugs are available, part number 15184051, but the prices are insane at even the cheapest source.

You might check Amazon for a door handle, searching either 25801998 (locking) or 97319415. At least there you can usually find reviews of the products and the prices are competitive with Ebay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.