Good aftermarket Tailgate handle and body question? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Good aftermarket Tailgate handle and body question?

A couple questions for you guruís out there.
1) Doing some bondo work on my truck underneath/tucked under the driver and passengers doors I have a bunch of rust around these plastic ďplugsĒ Can anyone tell me what these plugs/caps are for and if bondoing them shut would be a bad idea? At first I thought they would be for some time of drainage/etc but they donít have holes them so they donít seem to weep in anyway.

2) My tailgate handle rarely works. I opened the access panel to see the back side of the handle and I noticed that where the handle presses on the linkage itís rather wore down. That being said I think just replacing it is the way to go. I see the GM part is $85 therefore Iím wondering if anyone has had good luck with any aftermarket brands off ebay, etc? Sounds like a lot of people have had trouble with these handles?

Thanks much!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160823_133845.jpg (114.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 20160823_134159.jpg (407.2 KB, 23 views)

'04 Colorado LS ext cab 5 cylinder

Last edited by jessb_55; 08-23-2016 at 02:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 07:00 PM

I don't know the purpose of those holes, but someone here should. There doesn't seem to be an advantage to permanently blocking them, though.

I purchased an aftermarket tailgate handle, to upgrade to one with a lock, and haven't had any problems with it. That was a few years ago and I don't remember the EBay Seller. One secret to keeping the tailgate opening smoothly is to insure the strikers on each end of the tailgate are lubed. Some guys, out of habit, will press in on the tailgate when lifting the latch. If you don't need the lock, you could get an OEM handle without it, for a bit less, part number 97319415
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Cart7881

Thanks for getting back to me, I've called a couple reputable parts stores around me and they haven't had the handle so I think I will get one off Ebay but I always just worry about the quality I'm getting. As for the holes, I was thinking if they aren't needed that I would just bondo them closed as they seem to be full or rust and half of the caps in them have snapped off during removal.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 05:13 PM

The plugs are available, part number 15184051, but the prices are insane at even the cheapest source.

You might check Amazon for a door handle, searching either 25801998 (locking) or 97319415. At least there you can usually find reviews of the products and the prices are competitive with Ebay.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Oh wow, they are expensive, ugh what to do....I just wish I knew if these holes served an important function cause it's even now more tempting to bondo over them :)

Last edited by jessb_55; 08-24-2016 at 06:48 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 07:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to rodhot Send a message via MSN to rodhot
broke several cheap plastic OE tailgate handles on my 08 colly, last pair i ordered had a keyhole, not having a locking gate i plugged it. seems to be the best handles yet about $15 on the bay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode