Block heater...confusion. - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Block heater...confusion.

I split this off from a previous thread just to keep it simple and discourage irrelevant posts:

I took my 2007 Colorado LS in this A.M. to have a block heater installed (Kat's 11455). However, the mechanic said he could find no place to install it (threaded freeze plug), as per my diagram (TS01-709). He stated that he looked in the area on the side of the engine, accessible from the driver's side wheel well, with the wheel and the skirting removed. What is going on here? No threaded freeze plug there for my model, or is the mechanic in error?

Here is a link to the heater and the diagram where it should be installed: http://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.co.../12587380.html The Kat's heater is not the same part number, but the Kat's application chart shows it fitting my 2007 4 cyl.

Last edited by Bushranger; 01-02-2017 at 09:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 09:41 PM

Beginning with the 2007 model year the heater configuration was changed. It no longer screws into the block. It just slides into a hole in the side of the block below the thermostat. There is a retaining clip on it that snaps into a notch on the block. The heater has no direct contact with the coolant.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart7881 View Post
Beginning with the 2007 model year the heater configuration was changed. It no longer screws into the block. It just slides into a hole in the side of the block below the thermostat. There is a retaining clip on it that snaps into a notch on the block. The heater has no direct contact with the coolant.
Can you provide a link to that information? When I look at Kat's application data on their site, they show 2007 using a threaded freeze plug and the model(s) heater (11484 and 11455), that screw into a freeze plug threaded hole.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 10:51 AM

That is interesting, when I discussed at the dealership getting the block heater installed when I ordered my 2017 Canyon, I was told that if I did not order it from the factory it could not be installed. Other than a Dipstick Heater....

Not trying to stray off topic or post and irrelevant post, since I order the 2017 V-6 Gasser vs. your 2007....I just can't imagine they would make two separate casting, drop forge or liquid metal pressing, one with and one without the threaded Freeze Block indentation....

I have a Block heater on my 2003 Envoy and looked at one in the lot without it and the indentation for it is there.

2000 Supercharged Miata
2003 GMC Envoy SLT
2017 GMC 4WD Canyon Denali
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushranger View Post
Can you provide a link to that information? When I look at Kat's application data on their site, they show 2007 using a threaded freeze plug and the model(s) heater (11484 and 11455), that screw into a freeze plug threaded hole.
12587380, 12587380 Engine Block Heater and Cord Kit - SMC Performance and Auto Parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode