Block heater, how is it used? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Block heater, how is it used?

2007 Colorado, LS, 2.9 engine.
I had my mechanic instal an "original equipment" Block Heater #12587380. It is the style that is held in with a clip (as opposed to threaded into a freeze plug orifice), and does not make contact with the coolant...I surmise it just heats the metal of the block.
My question is: How is it intended to be used...can it be plugged in overnight without any problems, or is it intended to be plugged in within an hour or two of an attempted start?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 02:43 PM

Garage
You can have it plugged in overnight no problem,. To save a bit of electricity, I personally have mine on a timer to start about 3 hours before I leave for work in the Am.

2015 Canyon SLT | 4WD | CC | SB | V6 | Summit White | Blk Leather | Nav | Bose | Safety Pkg | Remote Start | 5" Blk Assist Steps | GM Splash Guards | OBDLink MX Bluetooth Adapter & Torque Pro Software | Bull Ring Tie Downs | X-Pel Clear Film (Door Sill & Rear Lower Box) | Husky X-act Contour Front & Back Floor Mats | Z71/All-Terrain Transfer Case Skid Plate | SuperSkidz Front Skid Plate | Rocker Pinch Welds Blacked Out | Debadged | Blizzacks (For Winter)
How to Search vBulletin.org effectively
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 02:07 PM

The factory unit has a reverse thermostat in the cord so it automatically cuts power to the block heater at 32 degrees, rendering it pretty useless except in very cold climates. It sounds like yours might be aftermarket. 2-3 hours of operation should be sufficient but be careful to use a proper block heater extension cord it has to be short and heavy or it could overheat and start a fire.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 03:23 PM

Yours does not sounds like it is OEM. As far as I know all OEM heaters go in a freeze plug hole and heat the coolant. The OEM one was deigned to warm the engine to a reasonable starting temperature without wasting additional electricity. I believe the maintenance temp was around freezing. So it is a plug it in and forget it. Also coolant heaters are more efficient as the heated coolant rises and colder coolant replaces it so you get a more thorough engine heating through engine coolant circulation.

I have an OEM one on my Colorado and it worked great for the winter I spent a few years back in Alaska. Here my truck is garaged so I never plug it in.

2005 White 2wd Z71 WT
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 06:00 PM

The engine heater configuration/location was changed with the introduction of the 2.9/3.7 engine variants.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 10:03 PM

The engine heater I ordered on my 2017 Denali lays in a dry well on the right rear of the block and heats the block and coolant within. The cord has a thermostat inside and does not activate unless very cold, it is wired to a spot next to the air filter box. I have ordered one on my last three Canyon pick up's however they live in a garage that does not approach the freezing mark. The heater is a $100 option.

2017 Canyon Denali, crew, short bed, V6, 8spd, hard fold tonneau by Extang

Last edited by Ibmikey; 05-11-2017 at 10:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode