Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

2012 drivers side carpet wet

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  tugdogmoose 
#1 ·
After a day trip driving in heavy rain fall (300 km's ) , I noticed that the carpet on the driver side between the front and back seats was soaken wet. I am not sure how or where all this water came in from.The carpet under the drivers and passenger side floor mats are normal winter damp.I had to remove all the plastic molding and pry up the carpet abit and put an electric heater fan blowing on it for three days to dry out carpet and under lay. I am wondering if any one else has had this happen and where they found out the water got in to cab.also noticed the drivers side seat belt bolt rusty and the webbing was wet about 3 inches up .Water might have sprayed up from front wheel and came up through that bolt but not sure it is possably that much water would get through the threads on bolts.I realy need to figure this out so I can find out and seal the problem. I have not contacted the dealer as I have no warrenty left.

#2 ·
Just like diagnosing any problem on a vehicle the first step is to do a good visual inspection. Check all the seals to make sure they are in good shape and installed properly. I bet if you look it over real well it will stick out like a sore thumb. Sometimes you can tell where the water got in by the dirt that came in with it at the same time. The water will dry but the dirt remains, you know?

#4 ·
The carpet was only really wet about 10 inches front and back of the center post and maybe 3 to 4 inches in along the inner rocker panel.
It seemed like the water was clean without leaving a dirty residue. The back drivers side seat area carpet was dry so I do not suspect it came in through the back window seal or the third brake light. I also suspected the windshield seal but agian the firewall and driver floor carpet was normal winter damp under the floor mat and not soaken wet like along the center door colunm.
I am not sure if the water came in while parked when it was pouring rain or while driving for 4 hrs when it was pouring rain.
One thing I guess i could try is run a sprinkle hose on the whole truck for an hr or more then see if it leaked inside or not.Just need to see if others have found this problem and how to fix it.

#6 ·
It is coming from the 3rd brake light seal. Had the same problem. My drivers side carpet was a puddle of water, I didn't think it was the brake light because nothing was wet behind the seat, but sure enough when I had my brother spray the hose on and around the brake light it started leaking down between the inside and outside back walls and over toward the drivers side then coming out and down the side under the door sills. You can either buy a new seal, new brake light, or put a bead of silicone around the seal. I bought a new LED brake light and it hasn't leaked since.

#8 ·
I have a canopy on mine but I can still try your method to see if that is where it is coming in from. I just drove another trip on wet roads and the carpet is staying dry.It was not raining this time just wet snow melting roads and still had lots of water spraying up from front tires.so maybe it is from that third light seal when it is raining hard out while driving.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.