Aftermarket Stereo Install - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2009, 10:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Aftermarket Stereo Install

2007 Colorado 2dr 2wd.

My dad wants me to install an aftermarket stereo in his Colorado tomorrow, but I'm hearing that I need to get some special wiring harness for chimes that is about 100bucks. Do I really need this or would a simple $10-$20 harness work. He has a base model w/o onstar of anthing special.

any help is appreciated, thank you
Brettgilroy05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2009, 01:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Aftermarket Stereo Install

yea i dont think ya need it....but might want to check wit some more audio special guys...I had to buy that harness...i got the onstar and everything..
Old 12-20-2009, 02:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

You can use the basic harness for gm vehicles, I got mine at walmart lol. The problem is you lose your door chimes...i didnt care i hated it anyway.
Also you have to run a swithed 12v wire so that it comes on with your ignition if you want it to turn off and on like you stocker.

I ran a constant 12v instead of the switched ignition wire so that i could turn my radio on and have my doors open withou having my keys in the truck.

De-Badged(all thats left is grill), Z71 Rims, Pathfinder A/P tires, K&N Filter,
Clarion CZ500, MB QUART Formula 6.5" Components,
Polk Audio DB651shallows(Rear Doors),
crf250fridr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2009, 09:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

do you mean an acutual switch, or just a wire that comes on with the ignition?
Brettgilroy05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2009, 03:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Just a wire that comes on with you ignition. You have to tap it through your fuse box or somewhere in your column.

De-Badged(all thats left is grill), Z71 Rims, Pathfinder A/P tires, K&N Filter,
Clarion CZ500, MB QUART Formula 6.5" Components,
Polk Audio DB651shallows(Rear Doors),
crf250fridr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2010, 05:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

how do i tap into one in the fuse box, i got the fuse box open and i dont know how to tap into one of them. is there an easier way to do this without running a wire all the way to the fuse box? any help would be appreciated, im pretty clueless when it comes to this stuff.
skylar611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2012, 01:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default Canyon stereo replacement.

I was at Best Buy today and they were telling me that along with your door chimes not working that the airbag sensors wouldn't work which would cause your airbags not to deploy either. Is this a true statement or Best Buy feeding a line of crap to make more money off of me?
apachemech29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2012, 01:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

That is the first time I've heard the thing about the airbags. You do lose the functionality of being able to keep the radio on after you shut the vehicle off. No alert chimes either which include leaving lights on, etc. I would ask them again if that is true. It's actually advisable to use a harness to install a replacement HU since there are a bizillion wires back there on these stock radios.

The Wal Mart wire harness is usually deemed as junk on this vehicle. Everybody who has installed it (from the forums) have returned it. It doesn't play nicely with the BCM.

Also, this thread is 2 years old.
08Canyon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2012, 06:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Follow the simple directions from this post, and you will be fine. I did this mod it added about 45 mins to my aftermarket head unit install. It works great, you will lose your chimes but whatever, you still have full air bag operation, your signal light sound will still be there and the stereo will stay on until you open your doors just like factory. I tapped into one of my cig plugs to the stereo, works very groovy. In fact now the sirius will turn off when I hop out of the Rado, which is a major battery saver.

Save yourself the 100 bucks on the "specialty" harness and then go back to BBuy and prove to the sales man that he is a knob.

How To: Aux Power RAP Control Mod - Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum
Old 04-17-2012, 02:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

I used the walmart harness...and ran a new ignition on/off from the unused power window slot at the fuse panel...

Then I accidentally fried the new line...(do NOT procrastinate on the in-line fuse LMAO) when I took it out I found that I didn't need it...my stereo turns all the way off when I open the door as it is supposed to, and comes on with the ignition, so in short I did NOT need a new on/off line...maybe it is essential on better equipped versions with more gizmos, but mine (05 ext cab base) absolutely does not need it.
britishrich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.