CV halfshaft replacement - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2010, 10:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default CV halfshaft replacement

so the boots on my halfshaft tore and i lost all grease in them. i have decided it will be more economical just to replace both halfshafts rather than trying to replace just the boots. has anyone done this installation before? is it real difficult?
collyinms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2010, 12:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: CV halfshaft replacement

I haven't replaced halfshafts on a Colorado, but I just got done replacing them on my Aunt's Hyundai. I am only responding so I can tell you of a company that that I am totally satisfied with. The name is Raxles (www.raxles.com). They supply re-manufactured axle shafts. They are based in Gainesville,Florida. They charge more than the "big box" auto parts stores but you get better quality. They don't regrind the bearings because regrinding removes the case hardening. New CV joints are installed. They supplied a new cadmium plated hub nut and cotter pins(cadmium plating performs the same function as zinc plating, only it will last longer). They also enclose a map to the nearest UPS store so you can return the old units. You return them in the same package they were sent in. It was delivered on the promised day(the next after I ordered ). It sounds like an advertisement for them, but I just appreciate good quality and service. I don't work for them, I am just too poor to buy junk. Talk to Marty at Raxles.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

im getting ready to replace mine and from what ive saw from looking at it im prolly gonna have to remove the tie rods, pop out the ball joints if i can get by im gonna pop out one on each side, then spline out the half shafts install new ones then put it all back together then check alignment to ensure nothing got out of specs. its prolly gonna take about and hour a side if you have a resources(shop etc.)
Billet Grill and Bumper Insert, single glasspack,K&N Cold Air Intake, Off-Road Aerovisors, 31x10.50r15 Goodyear Duratrac on Mickey Thompson Classic II, ReadyLift Leveling Kit , headlight covers,Smoked Taillights .LED 3rd brake light,Trifecta Bed Cover,rancho 5329's ,Dual Headlight Mod, Sony Gt33w head unit, tinted windows, LED fog lights,Chrome Door Handles and tailgate handle, Bushwacker Fender Flares, Pioneer 760w Amp, and 2 Memphis 12 subs,interior lights,led tailgate bar,CCFL halo headlights
rb78_co/2010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2010, 11:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by collyinms
so the boots on my halfshaft tore and i lost all grease in them. i have decided it will be more economical just to replace both halfshafts rather than trying to replace just the boots. has anyone done this installation before? is it real difficult?

I have personally replaced both my CV shafts and it was a PITA. Here's some links to show you the process.

http://www.355nation.net/forum/how-chas ... ement.html

http://www.355nation.net/forum/how-perf ... -seal.html
supermodulation is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.