Yellow fog lights? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2011, 09:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Yellow fog lights?

I have a 2004 and am looking to replace the stock fog light bulb with yellow ones. I recently replace one of the stock bulbs since it burnt out and O'Reillys Auto Parts said the truck took a H11 bulb. Naturally got home and it didn't fit. I went to Autozone and got a 9045 bulb and I fits like a glove. Now I'm looking to replace both of the bulbs with yellow ones. I've looked around and people are talking about 9005, 9045, and others. What is the difference? Any change in light out put? Modifications? Thanks!
Camdonite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2011, 10:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to silver08colorado Send a message via Yahoo to silver08colorado
Default Re: Yellow fog lights?

the number of the bulb is only there to classify it's connectors. Just the shape of everything used to hold it in. It has nothing to do with the output. That's what the wattage is for. I have a 2008 Colorado LT and my fogs were 9045 but I changed to HIDs and used 9005s. Required just a wee bit of force but they work.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

They're not exactly the same. The bases are similar but the bulbs actually have a lot of different characteristics for the filament size/shape and covers. The most glaring difference [no pun intended] is the light output- different spread pattern and wattage. The extra 20 watts between a 9005 and a 9045 could put an extra pull on the harness and melt a socket. The 9005 also burns out faster since it isn't made to be used constantly.

9005 is a High beam bulb: 1700 lumens / 65W, unpainted tip, vertical filament, rated about 300 hours.
9006 is a Low Beam bulb: 1000 lumens / 55W, painted tip, vertical filament, rated about 1000 hours life.
9045 is the stock Fog light bulb: 45W, painted tip, horizontal filament, rated about 1000 hours life.

I got a pair of 9045's at Napa. They stock them, OEM phillips brand bulbs, but they are not out on the rack, you have to ask at the counter and they have them in the back. No clue why. It's like buying cough syrup...

Since the bulbs rated over 3x the life of the high beam ones I feel the cost is justified. I didn't ask if they come in yellow, but maybe they do.

The salesguy was only part wrong. The H11 bulb fits on the 2004-2007 Xtreme models actually and I've seen a lot of interchange sheets list them like they go on all models.
Glamdring70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2011, 01:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

i put yellow fog lights in my truck. i got a 2008 lt crew cab my bulbs were stock 9145 but i went and bought the 9045 hid bulbs 3000k and they fit cherry. i mounted the hid ballst in my grill and they work great had no problem putting them in just had to mod the back piece of the fog light to fit the bulb in and then they went in no problem. i got set up off ebay for about $ 35.00 its gets the job done and there bright on top of it. if your looking for a bright light i would go with hids there all plug and play and easy to install. to mount the ballst just take the grill off which i found a post on here how to and zip tie them to a bar that runs across in front of radiator. there hidding and looks clean when its all set up and put back together. took about 30 mins to take grill off and hook it all up. hids put out more lights and last about 1000 hours.
Pioneer In-Dash, 4 Door Speakers, and Sub Woofer.
Flowmaster super 44
K&n Intake
12k Hids
3k Fogs
chevyrado08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2011, 07:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

If your looking to replace the bulbs with regular high performance halogen bulbs (NOT HIDS) then the H11 bulbs are correct, those are the ones you need. I have yellow fog light bulbs in my truck and funny enough they are H10's. they are a little tricky to get in but they do go in as normal. but H11's are the correct bulbs that you need. you might have better luck going to your nearest "TUNER" shop where they sell racing stuff for rice burners, thats where I got mine and they look great.
chevy05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.