Need some engine block heater info please - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 09:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need some engine block heater info please

2011 Colorado 3.7.

The older gen motors use a Kats screw-in engine block heater. I installed one in my 2.8 Canyon. The 3.7 is different. According to my service manual, this engine uses a heater that snaps into a bore just below the thermostat housing. Kats website still lists the old style as fitting the new engines. I checked it out and indeed it does use something different than the old style. My problem is that I can not find the correct Kats number or GM number for the 3.7. Can anyone help?

Thanks, James
James1549 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 05:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

I have no need for, or any experience with block heaters. With that said, here is some search info that might help.

N1 ENGINE BLOCK HEATER (K05); ST ENGINE BLOCK HEATER (K05);. Fits: H3, H3 SUV, H3T | Nalley Buick GMC Brunswick

Kat's 11455 400 Watt 28mm Frost Plug Heater : Amazon.com : Automotive Kat's 11455 400 Watt 28mm Frost Plug Heater : Amazon.com : Automotive
cart7881 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 08:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have the factory engine block heater I ordered with my truck new in 2007. The thing I don't like about it (and most on vehicles are this way now) is it has to get to zero degrees before it works even if you have it plugged in. I had one on my Dakota R/T that was factory installed and any time you plugged it in it heated the block. When its 19 degrees like right now I'd sure liked to have it where it worked so my heater would already be warm when I turned it on.
johnny1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 09:14 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks Cart. The Amazon item is incorrect. I just returned that item. It will fit the 2.8 and 3.5, but not the newer engines. The newer engines use a heater that snaps in the motor, not threaded. I will research the NI heater more. Thanks, James

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart7881 View Post
Old 12-10-2012, 09:40 AM   #5 (permalink)

So the link to Nalley was also incorrect, I assume. It appears similar to the Amazon one.
cart7881 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 03:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yesterday I looked at the Nalley link that you provided and it was correct. It shows 2007 and later. If you look on the Nalley site for a 2005 you will see that it is a different part number.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yes I believe the N1 part number is correct. But it takes a 2 pin cord that costs $150 to power it. Is it made of gold wire?

Thanks for your help guys. James
Old 12-10-2012, 09:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

I haven't seen one but $150 you ought to be able to make your own cord if necessary.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.