4L60-E Mod/Upgrade Info (with Pics) - Page 3 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 01:11 AM

Re: 4L60-E Mod/Upgrade Info (with Pics)

Very informative post. Displayed good research.

The sandwich plate cooler, though, is not to be mounted with the inlet & outlet on the bottom. In this configuration, the cooler will always have some air in it, reducing the cooling capacity of it. When first installed, the fluid will only fill to where some fluid will exit the discharge side, and air above the fluid will remain.

I know that it looks counter-intuitive to place both inlet & outlet on top, but that is one of the manufacturer's suggested configurations.

The other acceptable configuration is with both on the side, with oil into the cooler on the bottom, and out at the upper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 66 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 01:21 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to tummys10

great article also TCI makes a 4L60E thats actually a six speed and has its own computer so you could run it on any chevy engine that will take a 4L60E

Bad in Black
post #43 of 66 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 12:54 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtydawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummys10
great article also TCI makes a 4L60E thats actually a six speed and has its own computer so you could run it on any chevy engine that will take a 4L60E
Sweet!

2007 TOTW #33 - LIFTED CLUB #24 - CONSERVATIVE CLUB #43
Rancho 4" / Skyjacker Softride / PA 3" - ProComp Xterrain 305/70R16 - 16x8 Eagle 1378
Smittybilt XRC-8 Winch - Optima Red - Hella 4000 Compact Fogs - AEM / PCMForLess - E-fan - Hard Cover

post #44 of 66 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 06:57 PM

i know this may be a necro thread but i think you might have solved my shifting issues....or at least given me some insight. breif history. i had my vehicle inspected under warranty work at a delaership. there was a weird clunk sound when i took off from a dead stop. they looked at the transmission (which they now claim they didn't and they didn't write it down either after telling me they looked at it.) a few months later, i'm getting a vibration at speed. didn't think much of it for some reason. i then moved cross country. after then driving across washington state and back, i devolped a trans fluid leak that i couldn't trace. i kept pouring in fluid and eventually it wouldn't stay in. finally found a crack in the transfer case adapter that ran from top to bottom on the passenger side, ending in a 1/4" crack on the top. had to drive it really slow from house to base to get it fixed. out of the 5 bolts, the 2 on the left side were hand tight and the top apex one was missing completely.

now, post crack and replacement, my shifting is extremely delayed (see this thread for delay times, http://coloradofans.com/forums/viewtopi ... =8&t=77122 ) now,after reading, i wonder if i might have to replace/upgrade some parts.
post #45 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgjurista
Install the cooler first, then the servos.
Have a 09 w/V8 really like this trk but need to put a little more "umph" in it. Understand cooler might be best first for longer life but on the 09 would the servo change be good or has updates taken care of most of the issues?
Thanks--
post #46 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 05:55 PM

The TCI 6 speed sounds interesting got a link for info...
post #47 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rio68
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgjurista
Install the cooler first, then the servos.
Have a 09 w/V8 really like this trk but need to put a little more "umph" in it. Understand cooler might be best first for longer life but on the 09 would the servo change be good or has updates taken care of most of the issues?
Thanks--
Even with updates, the servos will improve shifting.

"Brownstone Bumblebee" 2016 Diesel Colorado Z71 CCSB 4X4, Brownstone Metallic
HPD and Provent 200 Catch Cans, Amsoil Fluids, MetalMan Front Differential, Engine Oil Pan, & Steering Motor Skid Plate, Undercover Swing Cases
Say No! to Wheelers's Offroad!

"I respect everyone's opinion, no matter how wrong it may be."
post #48 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 04:02 PM

ok, so i'm having an issue i want to resolve before i try to do the fix. i have a flex-a-lite aftermarket trans cooler and the thing leaks constantly. its leaking at the barb fittings. i was trying to get rid of the trans rubber hose and go complete aluminum line (using fuel line) but i can't seem to find a trans cooler that has screw in fittings that work with our truck. my question is, do you know of any coolers that have screw in fittings that work, or how the hell do i get the cooler i have to stop leaking.

a side question also, can i bypass the small plasticish "pan" under the radiator that the stock trans lines go into. i don't trust one fitting i have as i've moved it around so much i feel like it might break. its also a pain in the ass to route to that, then to the trans cooler, then back, using the metal lines.

post #49 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 06:35 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtydawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipCat
my question is, do you know of any coolers that have screw in fittings that work, or how the hell do i get the cooler i have to stop leaking.

a side question also, can i bypass the small plasticish "pan" under the radiator that the stock trans lines go into.

Derale makes coolers with the threaded fittings. I have a 13750, which has the fan mounted on it so it will be significantly more money than a standard trans cooler but I wanted to mount it remotely. I believe you can get the same cooler core without the fan but I don't know the PN.

I used AN-6 stainless braided hose from the trans to the remote cooler and back. Makes a clean install with no leaks once you get everything tight. I had trouble with it leaking at first, but found out I just wasn't putting enough torque on the fittings (I was kind of scared I would tear the thing apart). On mine, the cooler has a female thread (not sure what size) and there is an adapter that sizes it down to AN-6. Depending on what part number you get from Derale, the fitting sizes may be different.

The plastic "pan" you're talking about on the bottom of the radiator is actually a part of the integral trans cooler that is in the radiator. You can eliminate that circuit if your aftermarket cooler is efficient enough, but if it is not up to the job, you'll overheat your trans and that ain't good. Only way to really be sure is to first talk to the cooler manufacturer about what you're planning and get their recommendation, then use a trans temp. gauge to verify that it's doing its job.

Edit: Just thought of this: Do the barb fittings screw in to your cooler? If so, you should be able to get an adapter to the AN style fittings of whatever size you wan to use. I used -6 because it was close to the original size, but a little larger.

Edit x2: Forgot to say, also, that if you want to go to AN fittings, you'll also need adapters for the tranny. If you decide to go that route, I can get you the info on where I got mine.

2007 TOTW #33 - LIFTED CLUB #24 - CONSERVATIVE CLUB #43
Rancho 4" / Skyjacker Softride / PA 3" - ProComp Xterrain 305/70R16 - 16x8 Eagle 1378
Smittybilt XRC-8 Winch - Optima Red - Hella 4000 Compact Fogs - AEM / PCMForLess - E-fan - Hard Cover
post #50 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 10:38 PM

i could try the hose. the other problem i had was that when i was running the rubber hoses, i had a problem with them splitting (one split a few years back when i was going from wa to va.) i also had the lines blow off of the barbs and eom metal lines. i did have a trans cooler at the time (that i got pissed off at and threw it in the trash) but i no longer have it. i want to eliminate the possability of that happening ever again.

back on target, my trans cooler has the barb adapters soldered in from the factory. i really don't want to get rid of the cooler to be honest. its a great cooler but i want to stop the leaking. i tried wrenching down on the...damnit forgot the name of them...things that hold the line on barb/metal lines. i used a socket on them instead of a screw driver to get them on tight. if the braided lines, which i saw some on i think jegs, work then i'd gladly go to them. its much, much easier to run them then to route the damn metal lines.

also, i had a cooler that i thought would work but no one around here in spokane,wa seems to sell AN-6 fittings at all (even hydro supply stores.) i ended up getting something i thought would work and tried to put it on....that ended with me wrenching the cooler and actually breaking the cooler itself....badly breaking it.

as for the shfting issues i've been having. i called Sonnax and asked them about it. they said that its likely my EPC since my shift flaring/delay is throughout all the gears. i also called a local trans repair shop here and they said the same thing. good thing is, they said they will diagnose it for free and if it is the EPC then it will only cost 135$ parts/labor.

i think i hit it all. i got distracted trying to type this : )

edit:this is what my current cooler looks like

post #51 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 02:33 PM

well, i got the new epc installed today and its back to shifting like it supposed to. still need to fix the trans cooler but at least the shifting isn't still screwed up!
post #52 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 01:31 AM

I've had the Trans-Go HD-2 shift kit in for going on 2 years and it works great. Nice real firm shifts and holds any gear.I suspect the shifts would or could be harder if not for the factory tune . Also installed the Jet servo's and a transcooler . Haven't had any problems at all . Great write up. Just thoughr I'd add some input on some of the parts listed.
post #53 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 05:59 PM

Excellent post!
Any after thougts on what to do...
post #54 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 10:51 PM

I,ve wondered how or what aftermarket fluids would we benefit from ,such as Redline,Royal Purple,B&M, TCI and which would better suit individual needs. Like towing, racing , off-road, 4 wheeling, High speed high revving desert racing. I've contacted several trans shops and have gotten all different recommendations. Does anybody have any experience with these fluids?
post #55 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 12:32 PM

This was a good review but I have 2 question for anyone. I purchased the Superior servos and the .490 boost valve ( the correct one). I know where the servos go and it can be done with the tranny in the truck but what about the boost valve, can it be installed with the tranny in the truck? Where is it located? When installing the servos did anyone check band clearance with their pin or just put it together?

Thanks for any help I can get.

2007 Chevrolet Colorado Crewcab 2WD Z85 Victory Red

3.7L
post #56 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 08:47 PM

I really wish these trucks had a OD and D,2,1 instead of D,3,2,1. I would do anything to have a button to turn overdrive off. Riding around in 3rd only helps your fuel mileage so much at a certain speed and in its in between overdrive and 3rd.

05 EXT CAB Z71 BLACK 3.73's
20% TINT, FLOWMASTER ORIGINAL 40
KICKER CVT 10" KICKER 400W CLASS D AMP
ADD-A-LEAF, 3" CRANK, 17" Helo 835, 265/70/17 Maxxis Bighorn.
post #57 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 09:23 PM

Nother question: If I pulled a Suzuki Samurai once a month 40 miles one way with no stop and go traffic should I still get a tranny cooler? I mean its the same transmission thats in the 1500's so I'm really not worried about burning it up amd I know how to pull a load.

post #58 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05zsev
amd I know how to pull a load.

Haha I bet you do! J/K But seriously if you have a trans cooler than keep it it will only help and not hinder the trans .
post #59 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 02:29 AM

HA! I need to watch my words a little better. But yeah. It wouldnt be on the top of my list. Itd be a locker for my sammy first.

post #60 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 02:45 AM

it may be the same trans but the engine doesn't produce as much power causing th trans to slip into an optinum gear and says there causing undue stress. trans cooler =longer trans life and better towing capabilities
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode