4L60-E Mod/Upgrade Info (with Pics) - Page 4 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 10:10 PM

Re: 4L60-E Mod/Upgrade Info (with Pics)

But if you tow in 3rd, which I always do unless im doing 65-70 and up, and dont set the cruise you shouldnt have a thing to worry about. With a extended cab your only towing half of what the transmission can handle. The same transmission is in a fullsize 1500 that will tow 8k. I just cant convice myself that towing 4k will tear the transmission out when the transmission will pull atleast twice that much. Just dont run the hell out of your truck coming out of every stop light and you wont have anything to worry about. People just dont know how to tow, thats why theyre burning up transmissions. Tow ratings are based more on what the truck can stop saftely not what it can pull. Most people dont understand that the bigest part of towing is stopping the truck and what your towing, not getting what your towing moving.

05 EXT CAB Z71 BLACK 3.73's
20% TINT, FLOWMASTER ORIGINAL 40
KICKER CVT 10" KICKER 400W CLASS D AMP
ADD-A-LEAF, 3" CRANK, 17" Helo 835, 265/70/17 Maxxis Bighorn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 66 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 05:45 AM

The 4l65e is rated at like 640lb./ft. of torque. Of course the trans can handle it BUT our trucks are obviously less powerful than a 1500. That being said, When you tow let's say 3.000lbs. with a 1500 the engine and trans are spinning at a lower rpm due to it's more powerful engine. Towing the same weight with our trucks puts more strain on the trans cuz our engines need to spin at a higher rpm to make the same amout it takes for a v8 at a lower rpm. Heat is a trans enemy as posted at beginning of thread so consequently the fluid and the internals heat up starting the process for trans failure.
post #63 of 66 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 05:53 AM

I reccomend trans servos,Transgo 4l60e-hd2 reprogramming kit ,trans temp gauge and a trans cooler. These will help eliminate slippage and assist you in keeping an eye on temps before they cause any failure. I understand you wanna upgrade your sammy but it gonna be of any use if you can't get it to the trails.
post #64 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 03:13 PM

Old thread, but bumping it up.

bought and installed a Maghytec deep pan, and Parts master #678 trans cooler on my Rado. Driving the same 12 miles each way to work in the same temps (80-85*) my trans temps are 20-35* cooler. Mag pan holds 3.5 qts more than stock and the cooler is about another half a quart or so with all the lines. Bought the trans-radiator fitting (397) from Summit racing for 12 bucks shipped.

06 colorado cc/sb lowered on 20's. stockish, 42k miles. 3.5/4L60E w/ aux trans cooler, Airaid airfilter, HID's, AeroForce scan guage
06 duramax cc/sb lowered 4/6 on 20's. 622rwhp, S366/S480 twin turbo's, built trans, custom traction bars.
post #65 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 11:35 PM

So i have a question i have a s10 blazer everything is brand new except the transmission witch is the 4l 60e it runs great first thing in the morning but once it gets to running temps it wont shift it will slowly climb to 40-45 km then will slam in to 4th. But once engine is cooled down again it will work fine till warm. This is my only form of transportation and ive been laid off from my job for 7 months now is there a cheap solution to fix this or do i need a new tranny???
post #66 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 05:06 AM

to C'Fans.

What is the mileage on the transmission and the maintenance history? When was the fluid and filter last changed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode