traction control - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 03:38 PM

T/C And 4WD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregDAP View Post
Mine is a 4WD and I have T/C! The button is to the right of the 4WD buttons.
Hi All. Just got a 2012, 4WD, auto, I5. Same question about traction control. I do not have a T/C button to the right of the 4wd buttons; but I do have the T/C dash light indicator. So... I do not have T/C? The manual seems to imply it is standard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 04:51 PM

to C'Fans

Got a picture of the instrument panel/4wd controls? Hard to believe that GM would spend ANY money changing the configuration of a vehicle in it's last year of production. Especially considering that they changed relatively little for nine years anyway.
post #23 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigslimm View Post
Hi All. Just got a 2012, 4WD, auto, I5. Same question about traction control. I do not have a T/C button to the right of the 4wd buttons; but I do have the T/C dash light indicator. So... I do not have T/C? The manual seems to imply it is standard.
Button probably has a picture, usually a vehicle with squiggly lines behind it.

Manufacturers have decided no one can read English/American. Have to use pictures. It is a wonder that when the new trucks are started, the Driver Information Center doesn't display an emoticon of a smiley face to tell you all the self checks were completed and the truck is functioning normal. Check engine light would be a crying face.

Downloaded a 2012 owner manual. Looks like I am right about a picture, it seems the button is located in the center of the dash, underneath the AC vent. See page 9-49 of the 2012 Owner's manual as downloaded from Chevy's website, as well as pages 1-2, 1-3 in the intro for location.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.

Last edited by CaryBosse; 11-11-2015 at 05:37 PM.

post #24 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 12:56 AM

Thanks Cart, Cary. Ha. Think I got it now guys. Is that it on the right? Duh... Should have figured that out. Confusion was from dealer. When I asked what that button was for, he said it was for turning off the passenger airbag! Made sense because my other car had that feature. Go figure. Just took it for granted and never checked. And as you mention, the manual is a little vague.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0545 (2).jpg (219.5 KB, 22 views)
post #25 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 06:20 AM

Yeah, that is the Traction Control button. There was a way to turn off the front passenger airbag on some 355s, but I think the switch was key operated.
CaryBosse likes this.
post #26 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 12:55 PM

Well this is strange. Yeah the button is there, but its non-functional. Does not do anything. Nothing. Does not depress.

Is Naskie right - T/C is only 2wd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by naskie18 View Post
Traction Control is only available on 2WD trucks with the G80.

So, does anyone here with 4wd have T/C that really works?
post #27 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 04:29 PM

Pull the panel and see if the connector is attached to the back of the switch.
post #28 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 04:33 PM

Yep. Just thinking about doing that. Will do.
post #29 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 05:15 PM

Traction Control/Stabilitrak is on all models, 2wd and 4wd. When in Four-Wheel-Low mode Stabilitrak is disabled, but TC is not. There is a lot of good info in the Owner's Manual pertaining to the TCS/Stabilitrak functions and operation.

Edit: The System may not be on ALL models, but the drive (4wd or 2wd) is not the determining factor.

Last edited by cart7881; 11-14-2015 at 05:17 PM.
post #30 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 05:57 PM

Exclamation

Well well, Look at that. I assume having that connector hanging in space like that is not factory standard? Notice what looks like electrical type like stuff on the connector. Looks like it was jury-rigged or something. I will try to connect.

Yes the manual says alot about T/C - Stabiltrack but again does not necessarily indicate that it is an option accessory.

BTW if it makes any difference, this is a GMC Canyon SLE. The downloaded 2012 Colorado manual looks to be identical to my Canyon manual.

If not standard on all models, you have an idea what is the model discriminator?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg canyon3.jpg (181.2 KB, 16 views)
post #31 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 06:13 PM

Some guys have an intense dislike of Traction Control. Maybe the previous owner found a way to disable it without setting any warnings in the instrument cluster. What are the numbers on the side of the object that is plugged into the connector? The picture is not clear.

I think some WT (Work Truck) models didn't have TCS.
post #32 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 10:12 PM

Here is the switch inside and connector with the tape putty removed. Nothing to hook up to. Looks like an interior switch component is missing. If you look closely it seems one of the inner switch tabs is broken out. So maybe you are right. Someone ripped it out.

That component number is 65180287B /
D1152.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg canyon5.JPG (50.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg canyon4.JPG (91.1 KB, 14 views)
post #33 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 05:44 AM

I think you are correct. The part that was attached to the connector appears to be the "guts" of the switch.

My research is coming up blank, regarding the switch assembly. On models built previous to the 2012, the switch is not available separately from the module, that also contains the airbag light and 4wd switch. However, none of the part numbers for those "modules" seem to be applicable to the 2012 model. You may have to visit a Dealer to find the correct part.

This is one of the places I searched. The only part for a 2012 4wd is for a truck with a KPH speedometer. Note that an "S1" designation in the description is 2wd. The designation "T1" is 4wd. Of the five numbers, three are for 4wd (index #13):

INSTRUMENT PANEL & RELATED PARTS PART 2
post #34 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 07:10 PM

Thanks for the effort. I will check with the stealership and see what's up/down.
post #35 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 09:51 PM

Looks like I will forego the T/C; actually the option to turn it off. I assume it is active since the T/C dash light is active. Not that I really need it. The switch only comes integrated with the complete module. I am not going to pay $100 just to restore that function. Went to the dealer for some advice but they were pretty clueless. They referred to the same info you posted. Strangely you notice there is no indication of the T/C switch or cable in the schematic, which again begs the question if 4wd actually has that function.

Checked some salvage sites to see if I can get the module on the cheap, but nothing found.
post #36 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 10:32 PM

If your truck doesn't have TCS, how do you explain the broken switch?
post #37 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 05:07 PM

Arrow

Oh I am sure it has T/C since it is mandated by law. I am speculating on if there is the active control to turn it off, for my 2012 model. Though the switch seems to be missing, I do not see how that can disable T/C , since it seems from my research to be hard as **** if not impossible to permanently disable without disabling other functions. (Apparently using T/C disablement does not FULLY remove T/C - Stablitrak.)

I assume my T/C is active. Besides no dash problem lights showing, anyway to tell (without doing figure 8 burnouts...)?

I still find it very strange that no parts diagram shows the T/C switch connector plug/cable; though interestingly that connector can be found.
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (32.6 KB, 7 views)
post #38 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 05:55 PM

bigslimm,

Are you saying that there is no T/C switch on the center stack, to the left of the Airbag lights, and just under the left, center AC duct?

See page 1-2, Item J, in the 2012 Owner's Manual downloaded from Chevy, and then read Page 9-48 on how to turn off. Note, it resets every time you restart the truck.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover.
post #39 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
bigslimm,

Are you saying that there is no T/C switch on the center stack, to the left of the Airbag lights, and just under the left, center AC duct?

See page 1-2, Item J, in the 2012 Owner's Manual downloaded from Chevy, and then read Page 9-48 on how to turn off. Note, it resets every time you restart the truck.
Um, Post #24
post #40 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 10:13 PM

Yeah button is there; see pic. But it is dead; nothing in the inside. So I am just trying to figure out if it WAS there before and some previous owner ripped it out (but why?... I see no reason for doing that as far as I can tell), or was it not meant to be functional at all, maybe for 2012.

I just do not want to spend money on replacing a perfectly good transfer case / TC switch module if there is no TC switch to replace. I suspect it is functional, but its bizarre that it is this difficult to determine.

So... Still looking for someone here with a 2012 4wd that confirms that the TC button is functional.

Or if someone says (you Cart?) - yeah the 4wd module TC is functonal, regardless of year - I can go with that.
-
---------
As a corollary to this issue, speaking of dead buttons, I have another dead button that is supposed to be for the cargo bed light control. It is on the dash left side in the light control cluster, bottom right button. The manual describes that as the cargo light control and does not necessarily indicate it is optional. Button is there, but nobody home. (My cargo light comes on as normal with dome.)

So two dead buttons kind of make me suspicious that the 2012 doc does not quite match the build?
Or maybe I just have a weird dash rigged out by a previous owner?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode