traction control - Page 3 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 10:33 PM

On the lower right corner of the Headlight switch there are two round buttons. The one on the right is for Bluetooth and the one on the left is for fog lights. The round button on the lower left corner of the Headlight switch is to override the dome light and keep it off. There is no separate cargo light switch. I've said this before: I'll bet money that GM did not change anything on a vehicle that was in its last year of production, especially considering that they changed very little for 8 years.

If TC was not installed on your truck, you would not have that connector dangling in the instrument panel, with the switch guts still attached. Unless you have a means of contacting the previous owner, there is no way to determine how the switch was damaged. I'm just wondering why you aren't getting any notices/lights in the instrument cluster.

Last edited by cart7881; 11-18-2015 at 10:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 12:00 AM

Regarding cargo lights you are correct. That button is bluetooth which I do not have. Thanks for the clarification. However upon fuuther review there is optional cargo light switch. Page 6-6.

Exterior Cargo Lamps
The cargo lamps (if equipped) can
be used if more light is needed in
the cargo area of the vehicle or in
the top-box storage units.

This button is located on the driver
side of the instrument panel near
the exterior lamp control.

Press to turn the cargo lamps on
and off

...Wherever that is. The manual does not show the actual location. The manual kind of implies that button functions either as Bluetooth or as cargo light.

If the vehicle is equipped with
Bluetooth, turning the instrument
panel illumination control
thumbwheel all the way up will
turn on the cargo lamps.

Obviously I have neither Bluetooth nor cargo light control.

Regarding T/C, I agree. The connector would probably not be there if no T/C control.
I think I am not getting malfunction lights because T/C is not off. The switch to temporarily disable it is not functional, but the absence of that switch in and of itself has no effect on the T/C?

Last edited by bigslimm; 11-19-2015 at 12:06 AM.
post #43 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 05:25 AM

Yeah, that cargo light information is leftover from the earlier models that had a cargo light switch there. Editing of the manuals is not that important, I suspect. There is information in the Service Manual about steering wheel switches.

I think you are correct regarding the TCS switch. It is only a momentary switch anyway.

post #44 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Cargo light can be activated by using the dimmer dial switch... at least that's is how it works on my truck.

2011 Colorado CC Z71 2LT 4X4 3.7L with a few mods
post #45 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 07:07 PM

Ditto. I suspect that is universal on this vehicle... (except for those that may have that older mystery cargo light switch, per Cart).
post #46 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 12:01 AM

Ok I am going to take a chance and order a T/C module; not the 4wd $100 item, but the less expensive 2wd module. GM Outlet Parts has it for $40. Idea is to just transfer the new T/C switch to my current module.
Any reason that will not work?
post #47 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 05:50 AM

Nothing I have seen can confirm, positively, that it will fit. You will probably be the first to do this. There are instructions in the 2011 Service Manual for replacing just the switch. All it says is to "Unsnap Switch from trim plate". The drawing is the same configuration as yours, but it doesn't mention 2wd or 4wd, so there is hope.

I suspect that this situation is the same as the ignition switch. They give instructions for replacing just the switch, but you have to buy the ignition lock housing to get the switch. It appears that GM can make more money selling component assemblies.

Keep us posted.

Edit: As soon as it gets light enough outside, I'll go remove the trim plate on my truck and see if we can get a better idea if it will work. I have a 2wd.

Last edited by cart7881; 11-20-2015 at 05:54 AM.
post #48 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigslimm View Post
Though the switch seems to be missing, I do not see how that can disable T/C , since it seems from my research to be hard as **** if not impossible to permanently disable without disabling other functions.
My previous car a 2004 cavalier had TC but no switch to disable it. My brother had a 2004 Pontiac Sunfire(same car) and it did come with a switch to disable the TC. After years of dealing with the crappy TC on that car I finally figured out how to disable it on the cavalier.

If you pulled the E-brake one click, it disabled the TC. This sets off all kinds of bells and dash lights, but when trying to drive up a hill or across an intersection I'd rather have full control and power.

My 2012 cruze TC is 1000X better than the cavalier and allows a ton of wheel spin in 1st and 2nd gears before the TC engages, 3rd+ gear its much more aggressive with the TC. Think it only starts to take over after you hit 3000RPM in the lower gears.
post #49 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigslimm View Post
Ok I am going to take a chance and order a T/C module; not the 4wd $100 item, but the less expensive 2wd module. GM Outlet Parts has it for $40. Idea is to just transfer the new T/C switch to my current module.
Any reason that will not work?
Well, it is not looking too good. I have a 2011, Z85, 2wd. The configuration of the TCS switch is completely different from yours. The switch is not in the same location and it appears to be soldered to a circuit board. There is no separate connection, on the back, for the TCS switch. I managed to pry the front cover off, to get a look inside. I think the square opening, on the right end, is where the switch would be located for a 4wd.

Not enough light for good pictures.

Last edited by cart7881; 11-20-2015 at 07:09 AM.
post #50 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 02:28 PM

Hmmm.... Thanks very much for doing that Cart. Yeah I assumed the 2wd module would have that same rectangular removable housing. Oh well...
post #51 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 07:50 PM

Garage
I'm glad I have the button, I turn it off almost all the time now.

04 ZQ8 Regular Cab
JTR Shorty Header
Volant Intake
Gibson Exhaust
post #52 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 01:30 AM

Lucky you!
post #53 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 07:20 AM

i read on another website, not a truck website, than turning tc off, helps increase fuel mileage. any thoughts on this?
post #54 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 09:12 AM

@bigslimm: Don't know if you are still interested. I found another part number that seems to be applicable to your truck, and a little cheaper. Dealer price is $92.70. The least expensive one that I could find was Ebay, but the shipping is excessive at $20. Part number is 22761880.

SHIFT CONTROLS/TRANSFER CASE

SWITCH ASSY | Genuine GM | 22761880
post #55 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 03:36 PM

Thanks for the info Cart.
Yeah I am aware of that item. My threshold is $50, just to restore functionality to that silly button. You would think it would not be that difficult, or expensive. Been looking for a used/salvaged part. Interestingly cannot fine a used switch assembly noone/nowhere. Checked several salvage places.
post #56 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselade View Post
i read on another website, not a truck website, than turning tc off, helps increase fuel mileage. any thoughts on this?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg BSmeter.JPG (19.9 KB, 10 views)
post #57 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintiliani1 View Post
I'm glad I have the button, I turn it off almost all the time now.
You are also turning off StabiliTrac at the same time which compromises handling, especially in near out of control situations / emergency maneuvers.
post #58 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief2016 View Post
You are also turning off StabiliTrac at the same time which compromises handling, especially in near out of control situations / emergency maneuvers.
That depends on how the switch is operated. A push and release on the switch will only deactivate TCS. To deactivate StabiliTrak and TCS, the switch has to be pushed and held until both messages appear on the DIC.
post #59 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart7881 View Post
That depends on how the switch is operated. A push and release on the switch will only deactivate TCS. To deactivate StabiliTrak and TCS, the switch has to be pushed and held until both messages appear on the DIC.
Was not aware of that. I just remember reading in the manual turning TC off also disabled StabiliTrac. I'll have to try it. Although, here in Fl. it's a good idea to keep it on in the wet. Oils on/in the pavement make it slick, especially after a light rain. Some places can be as slick as ice. Glad I installed the rear anti sway bar.
post #60 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief2016 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cart7881 View Post
Was not aware of that. I just remember reading in the manual turning TC off also disabled StabiliTrac. I'll have to try it. Although, here in Fl. it's a good idea to keep it on in the wet. Oils on/in the pavement make it slick, especially after a light rain. Some places can be as slick as ice. Glad I installed the rear anti sway bar.
True story. One press of the button turns off traction control. A long hold of the button will at first turn off T/C and then Stabilitrak. There will be a second light illuminated in the cluster when that happens.

Additionally, Stabilitrak turns back on automatically when you get to 35 mph. But T/C will remain off until you hit the button again.

Resident thread derailer

2016 GMC Canyon SLT: CC SB 4x4

Site Rules

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode