Electric fan conversion. - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Electric fan conversion.

Does this fit the Colorado? I have had one on my Silverado for 5 years with no issues. Only draws 28Amps out of the 100Amp alternator. Just opening up the front of the engine was worth it since I need to do routine maintenance for the 1hr daily commute. Says it fits the 27.5 inch radiator.

https://www.flex-a-lite.com/electric...ator-core.html

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

Most use the flex a lite 180.

How To: Install an electric fan. - Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum

2011 Colorado CC Z71 2LT 4X4 3.7L with a few mods
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 02:53 PM

to C'Fans.
As we have no idea what model year or engine that you have, it would be difficult to comment on that particular fan. There is a Member (Supermodulation) over at 355nation.net that sells fan kits for the 355s. Don't know any of the particulars but this link should get you some info: SuperModulation EFAN Model SFAN4500 Electric Cooling Fan Kit - Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

Cart beat me to it again. Supermod has e fan kits for the 5 and 8 cylinder. Not sure about the 4 cylinder

Last edited by GregDAP; 12-24-2014 at 02:57 PM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 03:47 PM

I have the pcmforless of nc fan kit for a while never had any issues and like the pcm control.

08 colorado reg cab 3.7l
Volante CAI
JTR Longtube
No cats
50 Series Flowmaster
PCMFORLESS Tune&Efan
SOON Trans Upgrades
GM Master Technician
ASE Master Technician
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 03:58 PM
X83

Quote:
Originally Posted by great08 View Post
Does this fit the Colorado? Thanks
What year Colorado do you have?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 04:05 PM

Is there a big mileage gain? I don't currently have a problem with my belt fan but if I would see big gains it could pay for itself to install now before the old one gives me any problems.

-Peter
04 i5 5 speed Z71 Base extended cab.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

I wouldn't expect a big mpg gain. Maybe a small gain city driving

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Wow. I just checked back in to see if I had a single reply yet. I was not expecting all of those. Thanks!

I am currently on the market for an older Colorado with the 4cyl/auto/crew cab configuration. I found one down the road that is asking $7k. Needs a little work but solid mechanically.

Here are the things I noticed when I installed one on the Silverado.
1. Opened up the front of the engine for easy maintenance/inspection of all of those parts.
2. The AC was now blowing noticeably colder at redlights during the summer since the fans cycle every time the AC compressor clutch engages.
3. Takeoff from sitting at redlights during the summer was now quiet and had a noticeable power difference during takeoff even with the V8.
4.MPG should be nearly the same at hwy speeds but around town should go up at least 1mpg on hot summer days.
5.The engine gets up to operating temps faster during the winter now. Which reduces engine wear some since they wear slowly at temps above 190degF.

I will take a look at those fans. Funny that I don't own the truck yet. I just always pre-game. This is the time of year to buy if wanting a good deal. I already know what transmission this truck has and what all vehicles it is installed on. I know how much the alternator costs and how much and AC compressor costs, etc.

I know that I should be saving about $1,600 a year in fuel compared to the Silverado if I can get 25mpg with mostly slow hwy cruising.

Thanks Again!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Wound up getting the truck for $6,900.

One more Question about those efans. Do they tie into the system so that the fan cuts on when the AC compressor clutch engages??? Just wondering. I could not find an answer through my searching.

Thanks!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 04:22 PM
X83

Yes they have two speeds; one for the AC on signal and the other for temp control.

I'd go with the SuperMod eFan or PCM because the flex fan in your link is too wide for your radiator.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by X83 View Post
Yes they have two speeds; one for the AC on signal and the other for temp control.

I'd go with the SuperMod eFan or PCM because the flex fan in your link is too wide for your radiator.

Roger that. Thanks!

I can't search but for 10sec intervals before the 1yr and 3yr old start loosing it or fighting. lol
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X83 View Post

Supermod all the way. Plug and play, thoroughly tested and guaranteed to fit.

2005 I4, Z85
7" Touch Screen Double DIN
Paint matched Bumper
Decals removed
Door "bumpers" removed
MB TKO Wheels
Goodyear 255/45/20s
Custom Painted Hood stripe

"Failure only occurs when you stop trying"
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 05:13 PM

I had a Super Efan on my 05 4cyl Canyon for 150K and never had a problem. Highly recommend contacting James for one.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

I have had my e-fan on for about 20k miles now(I drive a lot). Noticeable fuel economy gains with my 70/30 Hwy/Cty driving.

174,000 miles and counting.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 09:17 PM

With the efan I get an average of 10.2L/100km on the highway. With the driven fan clutch and fan I average 10.8L/100km on the highway. So there is a mileage gain. Power gain I don't think there is enough power gain to notice the difference except immediately in the morning, the fan clutch seems to stick a bit.
There is a drawback though, on hot days 30C or more, the A/C goes into protection mode from the core not shedding enough heat at idle. On the highway, it will not go into protection mode as there is more air coming through as you move. Also, towing, at temperatures below 20C it doesn't matter that I have an efan, but get up into the upper 20s and the engine temp will start to rise and the fan will stay on longer.
It is quite obvious when the fan comes on at 92C, you can hear it and the temperature will come down to 90C fairly quickly and the fan stops.
In normal driving, the truck is way quieter when the fan/clutch is replaced with the efan. Apart from the exhaust note, you cannot hear the truck with the efan, otherwise with the fan/clutch there is always a bit of a roar from the fan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode