8Likes
  • 5 Post By DougE
  • 1 Post By carlos.tr
  • 1 Post By spacedout
  • 1 Post By rkj__

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Is a CAI worth it

Hey guys I have a 2007 2wd with the 2.9l manual trans. I was thinking of putting a cold air kntake on it to help with MPG and performance and to help the truck Breathe. The only CAI I can find is a K&N and its $320. Is it worth that to put it on? This truck is my daily driver and if its not worth it can yall point me to the direction of things that will be?
Thanks
Zac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 10:15 PM

One way to think about it is IF you see any mileage boosts how much will it be. And much time will it take to save $320 in gas? Over the life of the vehicle, well sure. But do you want to wait 1 year for the savings (I haven't actually done any of the math).

Second is, IF it becomes race-car like and is more to run, then it will have definitely been worth $320 just for the increase in how well it drives.

I have never installed on so I can't speak honestly about any performance claims.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 10:49 AM

imo, no, you won’t see enough mpg gains to justify the $320. You have a much better chance with a mail order tune, which cost about $100-200. The biggest bang for your buck is a tune and drop in performance filter. I would suggest a muffler also, but with a 2.9L, it’s a gamble how it would sound outside and the amount of drone inside the cab …

2012 Aqua-Blue|Z85CrewCab|2.9L/Auto 3:73|K&N filter|B&M TransCooler|GMTrans corvette servo|Aeroforce Scangauge|Tonno Pro

Traded 2012 Silver|Z85CrewCab|3.7L/Auto 3:73|K&N filter|B&M TransCooler|OPT corvette servo|AVT 89Tune|Dynomax 17749|Scangauge II|Truxedo Truxport cover

RIP 2005 White|Z85CrewCab|3.5L/Auto 3:42|K&N filter|B&M TransCooler|Jet-Servo|PCMforless 89 Tune|Dynomax 17749|Aeroforce Scangauge|Black Maxx cover

Last edited by NewColy; 09-29-2015 at 11:14 AM.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 10:58 AM

In fact, your existing system is a cold air intake. What you're actually getting is a less restrictive but less effective filter that only has an impact at wide open throttle. Most of the perceived gain is "clean car" syndrome. Buy your wife something nice instead! That will be worth the expenditure.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 02:29 AM

If you really want to get a new intake, consider upgrading the exhaust system also for improved sound and get some hp gain.
crunchnmunch likes this.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 08:17 AM

An intake only adds sound, only reason people see a MPG increase is they typically are easier on it because of the added sound. Save your money and adjust your driving style and route, you will see way more improvement.

Pick routes with less stop signs or lights, this alone will significantly improve your MPG. Remember its takes allot of energy to get your truck back up to speed again.
canarado likes this.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 02:54 PM

Installed K&N 63 cold air system on 2015 Colorado, and yeah, it's a little stronger, but automatic trans shift point are very unfriendly to it. Engine starts pulling hard air, before downshift occurs, so your giving it more pedal, to make it downshift! If you drive it in manual mode, you can make it stop, but just not sure if it's worth all the noise. Took it off, then put it back on, and fighting going to the garage right now, and reinstalling factory stuff! Guess perfect world would mean a $400.00 programmer, and adjust shift points. It needs to stay in 4th, or 5th around town, and save 6th for the interstate. Shifting points all screwed up, and it easily bring the air noise back at every touch of the pedal around town, and in 6th on interstate, you get the air pulling sound, just staying with up and down lane speed.
Guess I'm looking at factory air box K&N filter. And yeah, Auto Anything customer service sucks. Don't go there for your stuff!!!! 3.6 Z71

Last edited by Cologuy(06); 02-23-2016 at 02:58 PM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 12:22 PM

Garage
GM and all the manufacturers spend huge money on R&D trying to get power/fuel efficiency out of engines and the bragging rights that come with it. They aren't going to leave anything on the table by building a crappy intake
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 11:48 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by canarado View Post
GM and all the manufacturers spend huge money on R&D trying to get power/fuel efficiency out of engines and the bragging rights that come with it. They aren't going to leave anything on the table by building a crappy intake
I agree, but in most cases they go for efficiency over power. So the CAI is going to gain you power not necessarily efficiency. That is just marketing tactics with special case scenario's that aren't realistic conditions to generate good numbers. MPG comes down to your driving style in most cases. The engine can only do so much at it's peak and we are usually the weakest link in how we drive or modulate throttle and braking.

The CAI should provide better flow and allow for more volume of air at a higher rate to help performance. Which it appears they do to a small degree on any platform.

In our case, this also comes with an absurd amount of sound which really makes the minimal performance gain not worth it. Unless you are looking for that kind of engine sound increase.

I just installed and uninstalled the new K&N intake. Due to this sound increase, I removed it immediately. I have never seen any other car or truck react this way to an intake before. There must be some seriously noise cancelling going on in that factory resonator in the OEM engine cover.

K&N Drop in works for me.

16' Trail Boss with all of the goodies: K&N Intake removed - Loudest intake EVER, K&N Drop-In, Weather Tech Mud Flaps, Valentine One Mirror install, Diode Dynamics LEDs 5000k: (Low(HID), Fogs(XML2), Reverse(XP50), Switchbacks, Lic. Plate, Full Interior,...), More coming...
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 11:08 PM

Well yes in a way, but the oem filter box was also design as a CAI but with restrictions not like with Aftermarkets.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 11:23 PM

I just noticed, there is a page 2, but I can't seem to see the reply anyone experience the same?
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 08:50 AM

Save your money. Don't buy an aftermarket air intake.
Reverendbiker likes this.

2008 GMC Canyon, 3.7 I5, Off Road 4x4, Inferno Orange.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 11:53 AM

2nd the mail order tune, go the Supermodulation route! The aftermarket CAI systems for our trucks are nowhere near more efficient or provide enough power gain over the stock OEM setup to justify the cost IMHO, particularly Volant's system, as it is quite pricey. Increased engine noise is also usually a aspect of removing the stock OEM CAI system as well, as the resonator quiets the engine at mild revs to WOT considerably, something to take into consideration if you like a somewhat quiet truck.

2006 Chevrolet Colorado Regular Cab Black w/sports pkg., 2WD, 2.8 I-4 w/ Manual Trans.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
Save your money. Don't buy an aftermarket air intake.
Just buy a drop in filter and keep the intake stock.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 11:23 AM

Garage
I returned mine and did a drop in and I am happy enough. There is a marginal difference in throttle response, but at least it isn't obnoxious like the intake was.

16' Trail Boss with all of the goodies: K&N Intake removed - Loudest intake EVER, K&N Drop-In, Weather Tech Mud Flaps, Valentine One Mirror install, Diode Dynamics LEDs 5000k: (Low(HID), Fogs(XML2), Reverse(XP50), Switchbacks, Lic. Plate, Full Interior,...), More coming...
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 04:23 PM

Garage
I like 3 things loud in my life...my music, my truck, and the moans of my woman. I installed the aFe CAI and the aFe exhaust, yes it is loud, but beautiful. Mileage hasn't gone up much, mostly because I keep mashing down on the pedal to hear the cool sound. Just the fact that I'm not getting worse mileage leads me to believe I will get better once the novelty wears off. My last vehicle was a 2005 Jeep Liberty with the diesel, upgrading the intake and exhaust on it helped mileage significantly. Driving stock sucks....next will be a tuner to fix the shift points, they just blow. To whomever said above that manufacturers "do not leave anything on the table"...HAHAHAHA! Manufacturers are about doing it cheap and making money, don't kid yourself otherwise.

2016 Colorado
Red Hot Trail Boss
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 06:30 PM

I can tell you from my experience in the forced induction world that bolt-ons, especially CAIs, are garbage and net you no power gains unless properly tuned. CAIs actually suck in hot air from under the hood. Most stock airboxes suck in cold air from the grille and keep out engine heat.

Even after being properly tuned, the car will pick up maybe 10-15 more hp at an expense of over 1000 dollars.

Bolt ons are stupid. Save and do a supercharger, turbo, or motor swap for more power where you will see over 200-500hp in real gains.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 07:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to Z15_34396 Send a message via MSN to Z15_34396
Cold air intakes can result in actual gains in power, but not necessarily in the way most people are expecting them. The key that is typically missing in the mind of the average consumer is that the only time power is increased is when the engine is at Wide Open Throttle (WOT). For those who don't know what that means, WOT is basically when the gas pedal is pressed all the way to the floor.

Not one of the cold air intake or performance filters guarantee's fuel economy increase. None! Why do you think that is? You will never gain mileage by increasing airflow through a gasoline engine in a mass airflow type system, the computer controls the air/fuel ratio and the air filter cannot override the computer program.

more air = more fuel = more power = more speed

Anecdotal evidence based solely on the experiences of individual consumers is insufficient to support product efficacy claims. People’s opinions are not facts that can be substantiated.

Mike

2015 Sierra Denali 6.2L/420HP
Protected by AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants

Last edited by Z15_34396; 09-28-2016 at 07:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode