Positraction & 4x4 - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 08:35 PM

Garage
I think most of the comments here are geared towards the 2015+ with the G80's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 07:21 PM

My 16 Colorado 4x4 does have the G80 option ...
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 07:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodhot View Post
generally posi is an add-on for 4 WD trucks + if you want or need it along with 4 WD will give you traction beyond belief!!
Someone has already posted this, but it looks like it needs saying again. 'Positraction' was simply GM's trademarked version of limited slip, which came on more cars than trucks. They came out with it in the late '50(IIRC).
Most people 'add' lockers to 4wd vehicles, as limited slip just doesn't cut it in situations where you NEED both wheels engaged(climbing over rocks, or mud-bogging for example), and usually when/if a[4wd] truck comes with an LSD, it's only in the rear. Lockers are usually activated by either air or electronically, although there are some(cheaper) ones that activate 'automatically', which is what we unfortunately get on the [newer] Z71s. One thing I liked about my F150 is that it at least came with an electric one, just like on my Jeep(which came stock with front and rear). Some people like the automatic lockers-the aftermarket kind generally speaking- but those are pretty-much for dedicated off-road vehicles, and they're noisy. Heck, some people weld 'em, but I think those might be limited to drag cars, mud-boggers, and maybe hard-core buggies

2016 Colorado 2.8L D-max, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Z71, 4WD.
ZONE 5.5" Suspension Lift
Moto Metal 970 17x8.5"
Nitto Terra G-G2s, 295/70/17

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 09:43 PM

Garage
Here is a youtube video of the Eaton G80

The G80 has a more reliable action of providing traction to both wheels at slow speed...I'm old enough to remember GM Posi's not locking up on very slippery occasions(mud and wet snow) and having to trick it with ebrakes or jamming something against a spinning wheel to get the clutches in the rear end to bite.

....and I'm not saying the G80 is stronger than a old posi carrier just better for most driving conditions

Lifted Member #167

Last edited by canarado; 11-07-2016 at 09:46 PM.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 11:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to rodhot Send a message via MSN to rodhot
a G-80 along with 4 WD gives you some serious traction. had a Quaife Torque Biasing Unit installed in my lame FWD VW jetta 1.8T when going straight both front wheels pulled, great traction + eliminating torque steer totally, a real flaw if your FWD has any real power!! when shopping for a leftover in 08 i was going to get just the posi but could not fin any being year end, found ny 12,000 mile 4WD with standard cab i wanted, a bargain @ $14,000 no trade. todays pickup prices are NUTS!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode