Exhaust - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By johnny1
  • 1 Post By carlos.tr
  • 1 Post By hyperv6

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Exhaust

I would like to replace the stock mufflers on my 2006 Chevrolet Colorado LT. I am planning to purchase a Borla Exhaust. Any opinions?

2006 Chevrolet Colorado LT 4dr Crew Cab SB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 01:02 AM

Hey brother... I think you're talking to a dead crowd lol. I haven't heard anything about my post recently either. I was gone for a few years and back now since I'm redoing my 04 again. But... it seems everyone is gone.

I'd get on YouTube and look at some sound clips. I'm soon going to a flowmaster super 44 single in dual out. I currently have a 40 delta flow series with both cats gutted. But going to a 3" long tube header into the 44 and dual 2.5" out.

I don't have experience with Borla but I've been told they rust out. But don't hold me to that. Good luck!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 01:11 AM

There have been several conversations on all brands of mufflers.

You should be able to search for the muffler name and find results.
Borla is one of the more positive names (in terms of quality). The challenge is everybody has a different opinion on sound quality. The truck you drive won't sound 'more trucky' with a muffler if that is what you are after. None of them will. There is really zero benefit to a new muffler/exhaust unless you want to make it have the raspy sound that is common for today's cars (didn't say cars on accident).

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 07:54 AM

Have had the GM performance (which is Borla) catback exhaust on my 2007 I5 reg. cab Canyon since bought new in 2007. It doesn't sound at all raspy, has a bit of rumble at idle and quiet at highway speeds. Don't get this wrong. You can't make these 4 and 5 cylinder trucks sound like a deep throat V8 but the Borla catback is decent and not ricey sounding for what you have. I don't know how muffler alone would sound and the Borla cat back is pricey but all stainless and life time guarantee.
supermodulation and Xtream355 like this.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 04:49 AM

I took off my Gibson muffler in their 3" cat back exhaust system I installed went back to old faithful, 3" in/out Dynomax super turbo.
Great sound , great performance. Happy camper.

2016 Z71, Rear Wheel drive, aFe power air box, Gibson exhaust, Hypertech Tuner,, Westin boards, WeatherTech flap, LLoyd mats..
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Canyon View Post
There have been several conversations on all brands of mufflers.

You should be able to search for the muffler name and find results.
Borla is one of the more positive names (in terms of quality). The challenge is everybody has a different opinion on sound quality. The truck you drive won't sound 'more trucky' with a muffler if that is what you are after. None of them will. There is really zero benefit to a new muffler/exhaust unless you want to make it have the raspy sound that is common for today's cars (didn't say cars on accident).
There is a little more than zero benefit. Some of flow through mufflers are quiet with documented performance boost. Totally agree you can't make it sound like the V8 I just traded, but it is cheap bolt on performance. Possibly more MPG?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 10:02 AM

I personally like the tone of magnaflow. If you are a fan of loud sound, go with Flowmaster.
Clone likes this.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 09:26 AM

Garage
If you are looking at more sound, then you'll have to do something with your cold air intake. I installed both the afe CAI and the catback exhaust and love it. MPG increases are negligible, but I do get way better sound and more power. Performance is what I was after so to that end, some success. It is a bit louder in the can than I expected once the resonator (air flow disruptor that is part of the stock intake) was removed....but in my opinion well worth it. I like 3 things loud in my life, my music, the moans of my woman, and my truck.

2016 Colorado
Red Hot Trail Boss
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 12:11 PM

The CAI is a different kind of sound then exhaust which I personally find a Open CAI annoying.

2016 Z71, Rear Wheel drive, aFe power air box, Gibson exhaust, Hypertech Tuner,, Westin boards, WeatherTech flap, LLoyd mats..
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 06:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnspeed View Post
The CAI is a different kind of sound then exhaust which I personally find a Open CAI annoying.

And I find exhilarating...to each their own.

2016 Colorado
Red Hot Trail Boss
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 04:51 PM

Does anyone know of a performance exhaust that is quiet? The triple seals and baffles in my 2015 Colorado make it really quiet on the inside and I would really like to keep it quiet, but I also want the performance that comes with an open exhaust. I have a K&N CAI to get the air in , so I need on exhaust that will get the air out. Definiately want 306 stainless steel. So what are my options? ANYONE>>>>>

Michael Register
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 08:34 PM

I put a 24" magnaflow on mine (3.7 LT Crew) after the stock muffler snapped off in front of the axle. Used the stock intermediate pipe, new offset stainless muffler, new over the axle with a side exit in front of the bumper.
Little bit of exhaust note in the cab when towing, otherwise, a nice tone and not raspy. I think the longer muffler oval takes away the rasp.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 07:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to rodhot Send a message via MSN to rodhot
you mean 304 stainless which all borla is. with the cats in place + maybe a resonator you prolly will not notice a difference in performance or noise
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:40 PM

I work in this area and here is the deal. Chose the one you like the sound and where it comes out as performance gains are minimal. You may see a little gain mid range if the computer does not relearn and dumb down the gain.

The truth is both intakes and exhaust both offer small gains and not cumulative gains. To get full benefit you really need to have it retuned.

Also when you replace the exhaust go only with a 409 or if you want it shinny a 304 stainless. If not you will be taking off a better exhaust than you will be putting on. It amazes me the people who take off a factory stainless and put on a mild steel that will rust out in 5 years and toss out a stainless factory that would still be on the truck in 20 years.

Most of these systems are pretty efficient and only a small gain is to be had.

Also watch for the dreaded drone of some systems. Many have addressed it but on a trip it will drive you nuts.

Note too the 409 stainless will out last most vehicles so if you do not need the shine it is a more affordable way to go. And yes a magnet will stick to it and it will surface rust but it will last. I have one 31 years old and it is still going strong.
johnspeed likes this.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 01:06 PM

A lot of truth above with his above post .

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 02:15 PM

Garage
Send a message via MSN to evonschu
That's because its an Inline engine. My first 89 jeep cherokee had an I6 and I put glasspacks on it and it sounded like a V8. V6's however from most of what I've heard and seen on here and in person usually don't sound that cool in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny1 View Post
Have had the GM performance (which is Borla) catback exhaust on my 2007 I5 reg. cab Canyon since bought new in 2007. It doesn't sound at all raspy, has a bit of rumble at idle and quiet at highway speeds. Don't get this wrong. You can't make these 4 and 5 cylinder trucks sound like a deep throat V8 but the Borla catback is decent and not ricey sounding for what you have. I don't know how muffler alone would sound and the Borla cat back is pricey but all stainless and life time guarantee.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 09:48 AM

6 Cylinder engines can have unique sounds. In line 60 degree and 90 degree V6 engines can all make a special sound.

Most 90 degree V6 engines can have an odd sound. Most 60 degree can at times sound exotic if they have duel outlets. My stock Fiero sound deep enough that people think I have a V8 when it is a stock V6. The inlines can be a mixed bag depending on the exhaust used.

The new Camaro with a duel Corsa exhaust sounds great and that is a similar V6 we have here.

I find most single exhaust sound rather muted or raspy. They have little deep range.

Also note may duel systems cost power if configured wrong. Systems where they go single in and duel out can cost up to 10 HP. This is why some companies like Flowmaster offers a single out exhaust for the 4th gen and 3rd gen F body.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evonschu View Post
That's because its an Inline engine. My first 89 jeep cherokee had an I6 and I put glasspacks on it and it sounded like a V8. V6's however from most of what I've heard and seen on here and in person usually don't sound that cool in my opinion.
I've had jeeps my whole life, a lot of 4.0 i6 motors and always thought they sounded like a pissed off UPS truck with aftermarket exhaust systems...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode