Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Does a Cold Air Intake Improve Gas Mileage?

28K views 39 replies 15 participants last post by  Johnnyone 
#1 ·
I have a 2008 2.9 Colorado extended cab, 2WD automatic and was wondering if anyone here kept track of before and after mileage. Thanks.

G
#28 ·
i've installed a custom CAI on my colly as well. i used all pvc from lowes and it might have cost me 30$ for all of it. for me, i track my mileage on every fill up and i gained 4 mpg city and 7 hwy and i drive extremely "spirited". that is stats from about 8 months of tracking. i did nothing else to it for that timeframe. what i did was replaced the tubing from the box to the throttle body and my pipe picks up just behind the tow hook, although i just added an end on it and bolted it to the bottom of the valance so it stays in place better and picks up air unrestricted by anything.

i wouldn't buy a kit...ever. way too expensive and you can do the same thing, that looks good, for a small fraction of the price.

as for the oem setup, mine had a small tube that came molded into the box, which i have blocked off for my setup, that picked up inside the right quarter panel next to the box itself. i couldn't imagine it picking up any cold air from that spot as it would have to go past the radiator, headlights and anything else in between. i can't say for sure as i don't have an intake air temp gauge but its pretty obvious that it would be much warmer then my setup.

now, how a cai system would produce better milage. the cooler the air coming in, the more compact the air molecules and the more that can fit in. since it has more air molecules, it mixes with the fuel spray inside the head better and thus produces a better combustion inside the head, resulting in a better use of the fuel put into the head. this results in less fuel needed to run the engine, this is adjusted by the on board computer by sensing the air temp and putting in less fuel to the cylinder to cause the combustion.

additionally, the manufacturer does not include some of these items as it usually results in a louder engine. something the "average" consumer doesn't want. adding some of these systems would also add a lot to the price of the vehicle as it adds complexity to the manufacture process of the vehicle.

#29 ·
HipCat,

I would like to see pictures of your system if you have them and can post them. I am sure your system is good and you like it very much. I like my, but would like to improve the air flow from the air box by getting more air into the air box. It sounds like your system could be my answer to the way I want my to be. Thanks

G
#34 ·
i did use all the same size actually ; )

here are the pics (lots):

the upper part coming from the box has one of the rubber couplings on it so that i can easily remove the tube if need be as well as flex easily. the straight part of the tube and the angle at the bottom are glued together for strength. then, the last bit of tube that is connected to the valance has another rubber coupling attached so that can easily be removed as well and flex for movement also. i need to reseal the tube into the box right now as the sealant is coming off. i'll likely use gorilla glue this time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.