Best lower cost mods for improved mileage? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2011, 10:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Best lower cost mods for improved mileage?

I am looking for input on what to do to increase gase mileage on my truck. I have installed a Volant CAI Power Core and plan to get a MBRP Single outlet exhaust.

Mods I am looking into

Ported Throttle body--Does this increase gas mileage or is it purely for HP gains?

Electric Fan--Gas mileage increase or purely for releasing power

PCM reflash--What real world Gas mileage gains do you get?

2008 GMC Canyon SL EXT Cab with 3.7L upgrade
spyder79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2011, 02:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Any kind of simple bolt-on parts like will give u better mileage, more hp, and more torque. This is because these things don't change how much gas goes into the engine unlike a performance chip. the big things that really help are the ones that let the engine breathe better than stock parts. Exhaust system - yes. Cai - yes. Ported tb - yes. New headers - yes. Pcm tune - yes. E-fan - yes, not a whole lot. Maybe not even enuf to mess with, I'm not sure. Anything that will let your engine breathe better will do some good. Even getting a different grill that will let more air under the hood might do somethin for ya. A billit grill or something. I smacked into a bird a while back and put a big hole on my grill and my truck seemed like it had more get-up. Good luck with ya. O and if u get a tune make sure u do it after the bolt-ons. It just kinda finalizes everything
chevy_luver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2011, 03:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

res delete, remove cats, header...pretty much what was said above
Intake Resonator Delete
JTR Shorty Header
Sound Solutions muffler
31x10.5R15 Wild Country MTX
1971 Pontiac Catalina 400
1969 GMC C2500 305 V6
luraycanyon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2011, 09:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

ummmmm... put the 1000 bucks you want to spend into gas.

would take YEARS to recoup the modding cost
LIFTED TRUCK #244, back to stock height
2006 chevy colorado
4 cyl
2wd (1wd)
red
bedliner
toolbox
borla muffler stock pipe
gutted cat
china intake with k & n
aal in rear, also 2 inch block to get near stock height
SUSPENSION MAXX rear 1.5 inch shock extenders
SUSPENSION MAXX Front lift spacer now taken off for now
1 inch body lift, removed
now zq8's with 235/50/17
rear air shocks
bobandcar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2011, 10:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

i'd look at tires and pcm tune first. what size 15's and brand? i'd skip the e-fan considering it gets so hot down here.
2012 Pure Silver SLE CrewCab|3.7/auto 3:73|K&N filter|Dynomax 17749|AVT 89 Tune|OPT corvette servo|4-Blade Clutch Fan|B&M TransCooler|ScanGaugeII|Truxedo Truxport cover|1/2" drop blocks|2000 Silverado Rims w/Discoverer H/T 255/65/16|Belltech 9900 sway bar kt

RIP 3.24.2012 2005 White Z85CrewCab I5/Auto 3:42's|PCMforless 87 Tune|Jet-Servo|B&M Trans SuperCooler|Air Box Mod w/K&N|Dynomax 17749|Interceptor Scan Gauge|Black Maxx|Homemade 1/2" drop blocks|2009 Z85 rims
NewColy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2011, 11:29 AM   #6 (permalink)

Our e-fans and tune should pick you up a couple MPGs as well as 20-30 horsepower.
marshall@pcmofnc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2011, 12:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Another cheap one, is use the gasoline with no ethanol, it costs about 6 cents more per gallon than regular, and you can pick up 1-2 mpg.
Intake Resonator Delete
JTR Shorty Header
Sound Solutions muffler
31x10.5R15 Wild Country MTX
1971 Pontiac Catalina 400
1969 GMC C2500 305 V6
luraycanyon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2011, 07:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

for sure DO NOT put oversize overweight tires on you will KILL performance MPG and suspension parts$$$$$$
rodhot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2011, 09:28 AM   #9 (permalink)

well i don't think it would hurt to put on a couple of tire sizes bigger. it depends on what he mostly drives - city or interstate. if u are looking for mileage in town then go with smaller tires. interstate- go with 1-2 sizes bigger.....let me try to explain it the best i can..... the speed goes by how fast the axle turns with stock tires and if u put bigger tires on then u cover more area per axle revolution and also go faster. so if u r cruising at 2000rpm u might be at 70mph. with slightly bigger tires u will be showing 70 on the speedo but actually running about 73-74. so u can drop your speed to about 67 - and rpm to about 1800 to 1900 - and get better mileage. i hope this makes sense. sorry if it don't
chevy_luver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2011, 01:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

The biggest thing affecting gas mileage is drag. The biggest drag component is wind resistance followed by tire (rolling) resistance. The next major gain can be had by modifying driver behavior.

The only thing I know to do for wind resistance is install a Tonneau cover or topper/cap. You can also run with the tailgate down. Some people claim lifting raising a truck negatively affects mileage. I have not bee able to quantify that. I can not prove or disprove that statement. I'm thinking when people lift their truck that they also install larger (wider) tires. More tread on the pavement usually means more drag and poorer mileage. Also larger diameter tires reduce the recorded miles (odometer reading) and people may be looking at incorrect data.

Low rolling resistance tires can be had. The original Generals that we all hate were low rolling resistance tires. Moving less weight helps marginally with rolling resistance. Of course correct tire inflation helps on rolling resistance.

The last drag component is speed. Slow down and you have less total drag per mile.

That leaves driver behavior.

I once built a small electronic stop watch (timer) and wired it to the brake light switch. I had my daughter drive using it and showed her the amount of time she used the brakes vs. the miles she drove. After collecting data for a month she had almost 5 times the braking time per hundred miles on her Blazer that I had driving my truck. She learned to look ahead, coast to stop lights, plan for things a block ahead of time and stop tailgating. She improved her mileage by almost 4 mpg. That is 20%.

Anytime you use the brakes, Kinetic (motion) energy is lost and converted to heat. You then use more gas to get the vehicle moving again.

Some additional minor gains can be had by tuning, air intakes, etc. but addressing the above three will give you the most gain.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.