For you guys with aftermarket wheels....hub centric rings - Page 2 - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 11:05 PM

Re: For you guys with aftermarket wheels....hub centric rings

typeone your problem is the fact that they are interco the swamper line is a great tire, but in all the sets ive owned(and i have owned a lot of sets)i have never seen a swamper that did not walk,wobble, or vibrate at speed....that is just not what they are made for. it comes with the territory.

try having them powder balanced. it will somewhat cure the higher speed stuff but wont eliminate it.

lifted club member #7, gun toting american#1
04 canyon sle reg cab z71 3.5l(traded for a 07 silverado)
71 triumph gt-6 3.0tt nissan w/650hp!!!(approx 850lb car)
67.5 datsun srl-311 2.0 roadster

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2215008
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 12:22 AM

something I've been wondering myself... I'd decided on buying hub centric wheels, and i know that our trucks are compatible with both types, but is there any cosmetic difference between the two ? any noticeable difference in the appearance of the rim ??

...just wondering because due to this thread I'm unsure whether to go with hub or lug centric.

-jason

http://www.canada355.com/
2005 Black LS Extd. I5 Z85/2WD
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubinox
something I've been wondering myself... I'd decided on buying hub centric wheels, and i know that our trucks are compatible with both types, but is there any cosmetic difference between the two ? any noticeable difference in the appearance of the rim ??

...just wondering because due to this thread I'm unsure whether to go with hub or lug centric.
Our trucks come with hub centric...at least those with aluminum wheels do. I dont believe you will notice any cosmetic differences between the two unless you have the center cap off..and are looking in the area of the lugs.

God Grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

www.krissplicing.com

post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 07:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to typeone

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixitman04
typeone your problem is the fact that they are interco the swamper line is a great tire, but in all the sets ive owned(and i have owned a lot of sets)i have never seen a swamper that did not walk,wobble, or vibrate at speed....that is just not what they are made for. it comes with the territory.

try having them powder balanced. it will somewhat cure the higher speed stuff but wont eliminate it.
sorry for the hijack, KCinMI ;)

fixitman04, but i have the TrXus tire from Interco, supposedly "INTERCO'S answer to the need of those who want a smooth, super quiet ride with tough, thick sidewalls with a chip and cut resistant compound"

i realize the more aggressive Interco lines aren't intended for all-around-use, but the TrXus is marketed exactly as that.

if the rings do nothing, then another balance does nothing, i hear you... heading towards something like Dyna Beads rather than powder.

but to get KCinMI back his topic... I will post impressions of the tires1010 rings when they arrive.

thanks guys!

06 Canyon Reg Cab, Z85 4WD, ~3/4 drop
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 10:28 AM

typeone, is your tire shop balancing these wheels static or dynamic balance and are the balancing from the rim hub center hole or lug nut holes. I've had experience with 35" BFG A/T T/A KO we had road force balanced on a Chev Avalanche shook bad even after road force with dynamic balance, in the end we ended up just static balancing them (run out of room for weights when dynamic balanced) but then the truck drove great even at 120-140 km/h no shakes.

I would suggest you look at getting the wheels balanced from the lug nut holes (finger balance / flange plate adaptor) and get them to do a runout to make sure that the rim is round and center checked on the wheel balancer. We have Hunter Road Force balancers at my work which are great for these drivablity issues.

NVR2LOW & THE 2 LOW CREW (Wife, Son & Daughter)

2007 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab ZQ8
2" Belltech Drop Ball Joints, 2" Belltech Drop Blocks
Bedrug liner, Checkmate FX Tonneau Cover
GM premium molded carpet floor mats

Canyon & Colorado club of Canada ( member #7 )
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeone
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixitman04

sorry for the hijack, KCinMI ;)

fixitman04, but i have the TrXus tire from Interco, supposedly "INTERCO'S answer to the need of those who want a smooth, super quiet ride with tough, thick sidewalls with a chip and cut resistant compound"

i realize the more aggressive Interco lines aren't intended for all-around-use, but the TrXus is marketed exactly as that.

if the rings do nothing, then another balance does nothing, i hear you... heading towards something like Dyna Beads rather than powder.

but to get KCinMI back his topic... I will post impressions of the tires1010 rings when they arrive.

thanks guys!
HiJack away!!

I look forward to hearing your report.

God Grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

www.krissplicing.com
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVR2LOW
typeone, is your tire shop balancing these wheels static or dynamic balance and are the balancing from the rim hub center hole or lug nut holes. I've had experience with 35" BFG A/T T/A KO we had road force balanced on a Chev Avalanche shook bad even after road force with dynamic balance, in the end we ended up just static balancing them (run out of room for weights when dynamic balanced) but then the truck drove great even at 120-140 km/h no shakes.

I would suggest you look at getting the wheels balanced from the lug nut holes (finger balance / flange plate adaptor) and get them to do a runout to make sure that the rim is round and center checked on the wheel balancer. We have Hunter Road Force balancers at my work which are great for these drivablity issues.
NVR2LOW, dynamic balance but I'm not sure if from the hub center or lug holes. I will check with them again since one of the tech mentioned trying a static balance next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinMI
HiJack away!!

welp, the rings arrived and I installed them earlier today. quality aluminum parts that fit perfectly, kudos to tires1010. i slathered on some anti-seize for now until i give them a light shot of Rustoleum in an effort to prevent them from locking to the hub or wheel in the future.

just did a highway test run and they definitely helped! :D the ride wasn't perfectly smooth, as assumed, but the bed wasn't wagging everywhere like it was previously. way less annoying at speed. definite improvement.

at the moment, i'm psyched i gave them a try.

post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeone
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinMI
HiJack away!!

welp, the rings arrived and I installed them earlier today. quality aluminum parts that fit perfectly, kudos to tires1010. i slathered on some anti-seize for now until i give them a light shot of Rustoleum in an effort to prevent them from locking to the hub or wheel in the future.

just did a highway test run and they definitely helped! :D the ride wasn't perfectly smooth, as assumed, but the bed wasn't wagging everywhere like it was previously. way less annoying at speed. definite improvement.

at the moment, i'm psyched i gave them a try.
Good deal!! Thats the kind of feedback I was hoping for.

Thanks!

www.krissplicing.com
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 05:24 PM

I thought of this thread yesterday when I took my rear wheel off to test fit my new wheels and inspect the rear brakes. Those of you having vibration issues with aftermarket wheels, did you make sure to remove the little speed nuts that are on the lug studs holding the brake drum in place? The stock wheels have a recessed area around the lug holes for these, but some aftermarket wheels do not. If you don't remove them the wheel isn't going to actually sit flush. Just thought I'd throw that out there since they're small and easily overlooked.

04 Colorado ZQ8 I5/AT
If you can't afford to do it right, then how can you afford to do it twice?
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 05:37 PM

thanks for the heads up! i still have mine on (idiot), need to see if i have the recess in the new wheels. me thinks not.. .

post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakenit
I thought of this thread yesterday when I took my rear wheel off to test fit my new wheels and inspect the rear brakes. Those of you having vibration issues with aftermarket wheels, did you make sure to remove the little speed nuts that are on the lug studs holding the brake drum in place? The stock wheels have a recessed area around the lug holes for these, but some aftermarket wheels do not. If you don't remove them the wheel isn't going to actually sit flush. Just thought I'd throw that out there since they're small and easily overlooked.
Good catch!! Thats not something I would have thought of either.

www.krissplicing.com
post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 06:33 PM

I can't take all of the credit, seeing them made me remember a thread on another forum I'm on about them causing an issue with aftermarket wheels.

04 Colorado ZQ8 I5/AT
If you can't afford to do it right, then how can you afford to do it twice?
post #33 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 05:26 AM

Son in law recently lost the front right wheel on his '15 Colorado.
We suspect that the aftermarket rims he bought it with (being lug centric) have caused the issue of all 6 lugs shearing.
Holden dealer it's at now are arguing that its not a warranty issue as they didn't sell the car to him (another Perth dealer did).
We have done some research and the National Code Of Practice states:
4.2.2 Wheel Attachment
Replacement wheels must be designed for the particular hub/axle and have the same bolt/stud
pitch circle diameter and the same centre location method. The wheel nuts or bolts must have
the same tapers as the wheel. Wheels with slotted bolt/stud holes must not be used.
Replacement aluminium alloy rims must be located on the hub/axle by the same diameter
centre spigot as the original wheel, using suitable adaptor rings where necessary.
Wheel nuts and bolts must have a thread engagement length at least equal to the thread
diameter, except where specified otherwise by the vehicle manufacturer.
Wheel spacers (or adaptors for dual wheel conversions) between the wheel mounting face and
the road wheel must not be used unless fitted as original equipment by the vehicle
manufacturer.
Modifications to disc brake calipers, hubs and suspension and steering components to enable
the fitting of replacement wheels must not be undertaken.
Doesn't seem to be many reports though?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode