For you guys with aftermarket wheels....hub centric rings - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

For you guys with aftermarket wheels....hub centric rings

Do any of you use hub centric rings are are you relying on your aftermarket wheels being lug centric?

I want to get a set of steelies...Looks like the Soft 8 are the only ones with close enough backspacing and in a 15x8. Im not comfortable going from a hub centric set-up on the stockers to a lug centric on the steelies.

God Grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

www.krissplicing.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 11:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to xtreme07colorado
Re: For you guys with aftermarket wheels....hub centric rings

who cares

Winner TOTW #1 2008
Winner TOTW #3 2009
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 11:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to Spyman8 Send a message via Yahoo to Spyman8

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme07colorado
who cares
fuck off

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 11:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to NotFast07Rado Send a message via Yahoo to NotFast07Rado

I believe the guy asking the question cares.

post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 12:21 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to BADLANDER Send a message via Yahoo to BADLANDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinMI
Do any of you use hub centric rings are are you relying on your aftermarket wheels being lug centric?

I want to get a set of steelies...Looks like the Soft 8 are the only ones with close enough backspacing and in a 15x8. Im not comfortable going from a hub centric set-up on the stockers to a lug centric on the steelies.
k guys chill
in just a few more words i think he was trying to say that it honestly doesn't matter. the stockers are hub-centric and we still have 6 lugs, go figure. whats the chance that the wheel will have a problem if you're lug-centric. almost all aftermarket wheels are lug-centric any way and you don't see all those wheels having probs. just my 2cents.

Coloradofans.com Rig Of The Month July 2011
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 04:22 AM
CALI-BOSS

No need for wheels to be hubcentric on a truck with 6 lugs which utilize conical seat lug nuts. They will always be lugcentric.

Are you experiencing a wheel balance issue?

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

I didnt realize this would invoke feelings deep down in people that maybe shouldnt be around others in public?

If the engineers at GM were satisfied with the effects of a lug centric wheel, they would have used one on our trucks. Some people experience balance, vibration issues with lug centric wheels. Its not that the conical lugs have an issue keeping the wheel centered, its that the lugs are supporting all the weight and will give and flex. Id like to keep an aftermarket wheel hub centric because to me it makes more sense.

I thought maybe some of the guys that have purchased aftermarket wheel have gone this route. THOSE are the guys Id like to hear from...not folks like
xtreme07colorado. If you dont have any information to add, why go through the time and effort to compose a reply?

Ultimately Ill probably have to just travel down this road on my own. I realize almost all aftermarket wheels are lug centric. I had an 85 F250 that was lug centric as well. I know it works..but ride quality on a hub centric wheel is much better.

Thanks.

God Grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

www.krissplicing.com
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBNissan
No need for wheels to be hubcentric on a truck with 6 lugs which utilize conical seat lug nuts. They will always be lugcentric.

Are you experiencing a wheel balance issue?
Havent actually gotten anything yet.

I have heard stories of those who use their vehicles for more than show having wobble/vibration issues because their wheels were relying on the studs to support all the weight.

If one can get an aftermarket wheel to rest on the center of the hub rather than the lugs..why wouldnt they? Its a far better supprt point and is guarranteed to keep your wheel centered and free of play.

www.krissplicing.com
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

This is all Im talking about...some are plastic, some are metal.

Its nothing major.

http://www.1010tires.com/hubrings.asp

www.krissplicing.com
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 09:52 AM

i had the american racing d slot steelies on mine , had no problem with them being lug centric, im guessing that the soft 8 is very similar, you will be fine

lifted club member #7, gun toting american#1
04 canyon sle reg cab z71 3.5l(traded for a 07 silverado)
71 triumph gt-6 3.0tt nissan w/650hp!!!(approx 850lb car)
67.5 datsun srl-311 2.0 roadster

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2215008
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 11:47 AM
CALI-BOSS

Basically, all hubcentric wheels do is maintain proper center alignment of the wheel to the hub. They are not better at supporting weight. Notice the rings offered are plastic, they will not support any weight. Even in hubcentric vehicles, the weight is solely supported by the lugs. If you really think about it, a wheel being hubcentric will not help against lateral forces like in cornering. The lugs do all the work to hold the wheel in place.

*edit - Properly mounted and balanced quality tires on quality wheels will make all the difference. I to have read and heard stories from people having balance problems only to realize they had a bad tire with a belt separation or cheap wheels and/or tires that required a ton of weights to balance. I have taken my truck to 129 mph and it rode smooth.

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBNissan
Basically, all hubcentric wheels do is maintain proper center alignment of the wheel to the hub. They are not better at supporting weight. Notice the rings offered are plastic, they will not support any weight. Even in hubcentric vehicles, the weight is solely supported by the lugs. If you really think about it, a wheel being hubcentric will not help against lateral forces like in cornering. The lugs do all the work to hold the wheel in place.

*edit - Properly mounted and balanced quality tires on quality wheels will make all the difference. I to have read and heard stories from people having balance problems only to realize they had a bad tire with a belt separation or cheap wheels and/or tires that required a ton of weights to balance. I have taken my truck to 129 mph and it rode smooth.

X2! He speaks the truth.

Lifted Club Member #179
TOTW Winner Week #31 2008
Gun Toting American Club Member #55
CAI, Gutted Cat, Magnaflow, PCMforless Tune, New Head! (Thanks GM), Supermod PTB, Vette Servo
2" TB Crank, BJ flip w/1/4" Spacer, 2" Procomp AAL, Air Shocks, 1" BL
**SINSITY KUSTOMZ**
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 12:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to typeone

ive had my new ProComp wheels and Interco tires balanced twice so far and there is still vibration at certain speeds. i know mud tires are hard to balance but my shop said they are zeroed, albeit with a lot of weight...

still having annoying vibration, i decided to give the hub centric rings from 1010tires a try. they'll be here on the 19th, i'll post up with reactions after install. my AR RT-S wheels road like a dream, lugs centered the wheel great, not the case with this new set.

btw, i wanted the plastic rings but only 1010tires had the size i needed, 108mm -> 100mm in aluminum. more cost and maintenance (potential for corrosion) than i wanted but oh well. figures that right after i ordered i got an email response from Gorilla Auto saying I could try their 108mm -> 100.2mm in plastic, available from Discount Tire or Big O Tire. i would have just tried those first since 1010tires is in Canada.

06 Canyon Reg Cab, Z85 4WD, ~3/4 drop
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 12:24 PM

Also i think if you run a hubcentric ring it will stick out of the wheel. Being the wheel is steel it is not as thick as aftermarket. Im not sure how the center cap mounts to the wheel but i would check that out before buying hubcentric rings. My Jetta is hub centric, and i had to make a hubcentric ring spacer combo for the wheels to clear the calipers.

hope this helps. i agree with DB, good wheel tire combo, balanced right is your best best.

The Wolf! QA1 Rydahs!
Click HERE to see SinSity Kustomz Productz

post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 04:29 PM
CALI-BOSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeone
ive had my new ProComp wheels and Interco tires balanced twice so far and there is still vibration at certain speeds. i know mud tires are hard to balance but my shop said they are zeroed, albeit with a lot of weight...

still having annoying vibration, i decided to give the hub centric rings from 1010tires a try. they'll be here on the 19th, i'll post up with reactions after install. my AR RT-S wheels road like a dream, lugs centered the wheel great, not the case with this new set.

btw, i wanted the plastic rings but only 1010tires had the size i needed, 108mm -> 100mm in aluminum. more cost and maintenance (potential for corrosion) than i wanted but oh well. figures that right after i ordered i got an email response from Gorilla Auto saying I could try their 108mm -> 100.2mm in plastic, available from Discount Tire or Big O Tire. i would have just tried those first since 1010tires is in Canada.

Your situation is due to the large knobby tires. Aggressive off road tires are very difficult to balance. Sometimes the vibration is created by the resonance or harmonics of the tread blocks hitting the road at certain speeds. Hubcentric rings will not cure that.

post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 04:44 PM

I always ran Super Swamper TSL's in 35's, and numerous no name Mud Terrain tires on my big trucks (Lifted Chevy, Dodge, etc.). Always just mounted and balanced like normal. Never bought a Hub Centric wheel. Never used a ring etc...never did i have any vibrations. Only thing was the beautful roar i had going down the road. Mine actually rode smoother (taller sidewall etc).

I ran my lifted dodge right after i had my new wheels and 35X12.50 MT's on down the highway at 100mph and didnt have any vibes at all.

Something is going on..

Lifted Club Member #179
CAI, Gutted Cat, Magnaflow, PCMforless Tune, New Head! (Thanks GM), Supermod PTB, Vette Servo
**SINSITY KUSTOMZ**
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 05:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to typeone

thanks for the input, guys. ive had mud terrain tires before as well but these are awful. not just 'vibration' really, but full-on wobble/hop in the rear at ~40 and ~55 very bad. i can look down the sides of the truck through the mirrors and see the bed wagging everywhere, particularly at those speeds.

not saying the rings will magically cure big knobby MT tires but something is off, my guess at the moment is the mount to the hub since my tire shop says they are all balanced. a little vibe and drone i'm used to, but i cant run the truck like this on the highway for much longer.. .

06 Canyon Reg Cab, Z85 4WD, ~3/4 drop
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 05:39 PM

Dont blame ya one bit. Hope you get it all worked out. Im sure its pretty frustrating when you buy new stuff and nothing works out right.

Lifted Club Member #179
**SINSITY KUSTOMZ**
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 06:15 PM
CALI-BOSS

typeone - You may have some belt separation. Some balance machines don't spin the wheel/tire combo fast enough to detect a slight belt separation.

post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

www.krissplicing.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode