Where are all the good looking wheels... (another wheel advice thread...) - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Where are all the good looking wheels... (another wheel advice thread...)

I am on the hunt for some simple, and clean looking 18" 5 spoke wheels. I've scoured the internets to try and find what I had my heart set on, which are ultimately something that look like these:

Original 19 Dodge Viper SRT10 Rear Sidewinder Wheel Factory Stock 2341 | eBay

New Factory Dodge Viper ACR Sidewinder SRT 19inch Polished Rear Wheel 2341 | eBay

They're simple... clean... mean looking... nice lip... spokes recessed behind the lip a little bit... Just perfect in my book.

The closest thing I've ever seen as a 5 spoke were those American Racing RT-S or whatever they're called... But I wasn't completely sold on their look and from I could see they only came in 20"... I just don't think I want to go with something that big... It's unfortunate that no one makes anything in 19" for our trucks/bolt pattern either, from what I can see; because that would be the perfect size IMO.

The only other wheels I've seen that strike my fancy any way at all are the Enkei RT6 and ST6... The RT6's are obviously not made anymore and I can't find a set anywhere... But those 2 wheels are the closest thing to my taste, albeit 6 spoke designs...

I just have to know, where are all the good looking wheels? It's like 95% of the wheel choices for our trucks are the ugly, overly-macho DudeBRO or BROneck wheels... I mean to each they're own but they're phugging butt-ugly, tacky and hideous to me...

Is there anyonnnnnne who has an idea of where I can find wheels that are a lot closer to what I'm looking for...? Because at this point, it's looking like the Enkei ST6's are my only choice per my own criteria...

The other thing was I'm also in the market for new tires. I really wanted to try and get the fattest tire I could on the new wheels... I did some research and it seemed like there was a person or 2 who was able to get a 275/45/18 on and had no issues with rubbing or whatever... But that 265 would definitely work with no issues... My truck is stock height and will remain that way, I suppose the only other thing that may be any bit of an issue with clearance is the offset of the wheel (which I would try to stay with at least +15 offset)?

Anyhow, any help or info would be much appreciated, thanks!

C A M
07 Colorado Xtreme 3.7 I5
95 Aurora Modded 4.6 V8
95 Beretta Z26 3100 Auto
93 Beretta GT 3.1 Auto
90 Beretta GTZ 2.3 Quad 4
89 Beretta GTU 3500/3400 Hybrid Manual

Last edited by GregDAP; 02-21-2016 at 11:19 PM. Reason: language
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Attached Images
File Type: jpg zloa9.jpg (57.7 KB, 98 views)

C A M
95 Aurora Modded 4.6 V8
95 Beretta Z26 3100 Auto
93 Beretta GT 3.1 Auto
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

If i called other people's wheels ugly and macho dudebro or whatever... I wouldn't expect much help. Good luck.

2011 Colorado CC Z71 2LT 4X4 3.7L with a few mods

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

I didn't call anyone else's wheels ugly. It's not like I singled out a member and said their wheels were ugly.

Go to TireRack or any other wheel distributor's site... Look up wheels for our trucks and tell me what comes up. The vast majority of results will be a combination of ghetto fabulous wheels or whatever they call wheels that guys put on their jacked up monster/off roading trucks...

You'll find exactly what I described... I made a factual observation with a bit of my opinion attached... I cannot imagine a bunch of grown men being so sensitive to an opinion...

I just want to know where all the good looking wheels are (for my application of a sports truck...), if any even exist...
jrodo and aaronx2320 like this.

C A M
95 Aurora Modded 4.6 V8
95 Beretta Z26 3100 Auto
93 Beretta GT 3.1 Auto

Last edited by 08Canyon; 02-23-2016 at 12:56 AM. Reason: language
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 02:50 PM

I'm with you. The Transformer movies have done a disservice to car designs. Too much going on with many wheels - faux bead locks, fabulous over-designed caps, euro-mesh (on a truck!), extra odd or twisted angles and shapes, too many multi-colored spokes, just... bleh.

E.g. from Tirerack:

Like a woman with too much makeup who paints her face with contrasting colors and angled lines and all sorts of embellishments.

That said, I want natural, subtle, simple designs. Something that is sophisticated but not flashy. Something like these Fuel Vectors (alas, their offset would make it stick out too far for my tastes):

Padre (hehe, sorry for the pic, good luck un-seeing that )

Padre: 2015 Colorado LT LFX, RWD, towing, luxury. 2007 BMW Z4 Coupe. Former: 10-second Procharged '11 Camaro SS.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

Padre gets it...

It's just really frustrating to have hardly any choices for wheels that you want... When really the more "classic" or "cliché designs" don't even exist as options... Instead it seems like every wheel manufacturer is cashing in on a trend and in turn making almost every option generic... all the while NOT offering anything for a pretty popular auto demographic...

Believe me, I found this to be just as much a problem when shopping for wheels for a Beretta (which shares a bolt pattern with so many other cars) and an Aurora as well... It's like there just are not any good looking wheels out there...

This is what I consider attractive and "desirable" as far as wheels and overall aesthetics (this is my 95 Aurora after being painted and done up):

jrodo and DigitalDan like this.

C A M
95 Aurora Modded 4.6 V8
95 Beretta Z26 3100 Auto
93 Beretta GT 3.1 Auto

Last edited by 08Canyon; 02-23-2016 at 12:56 AM. Reason: language
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 01:07 AM

The site has some fairly strict rules regarding use of language.
Please take a look at the thread here to familiarize yourself with the guidelines.

As for wheels...it's a tough one and it's definitely a subjective topic. You have reiterated you want a nice looking wheel and provided one wheel on one car as an example. It's nearly impossible for another human to know what you mean when you start asking for a good looking "anything'. I'm not trying to give anybody words to use but I've been here long enough to assume somebody will, more likely than not, tell you the wheel you posted is boring, even for a car (only because you are wheel shopping for a truck). I'm impartial and not here to answer a wheel opinion question. Just sharing my observations of those who frequent the site. You've come out of the gate swinging and people here will take that as good enough reason to start swing back.

A different choice of words may be helpful, removing any descriptors that indicate personal choice. Including any borderline offensive stero-typical phrases.
Perhaps asking for links to where people have found wheels for their 2nd generation truck. Not that there are more than one or two as have been outlined in other threads.

Good luck on your quest.

P.S. Let us all stay on topic and help the guy find wheels without any silly, ridiculous stabs about taste. Our goal should be to make it until after post #20 before we get off topic.
Louies20164x4 likes this.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 01:48 PM

About the closest thing I know at the moment to what you're looking for is the stock ZQ8 17" rims for the 04'-08' Colorados & Canyons.(17x8 opt QA8 ) They are pretty simple looking, pretty clean looking OEM rims. Finding some used is probably going to be your best bet in this case, LKQ helped me alot in finding some used Z85 option PP2 rims for the 09'-12' Collys & Canyons I was looking for this past few months. It took a while and I ended up going thru another supplier to get the last few I needed, but I finally got all 5 rims I needed. (now I'm just waiting on the friggin spare tire to get in-stock at the tire place... *sigh*)

Above all, as they say there is no accounting for taste. Ultimately, you will buy what YOU like, anyone else's opinion be darned. Like you though, I do prefer more cleaner, less "busy", more OEM styled rims. I'm pretty happy with my newer Z85 16"s, they are soooo very... Shiny. Haha. ^_^

2006 Chevrolet Colorado Regular Cab Black w/sports pkg., 2WD, 2.8 I-4 w/ Manual Trans.

Last edited by Colly_shifter; 02-24-2016 at 04:49 PM.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

I've already conceded that my taste in wheels may be seen as "cliche" or "generic" to some... But honestly, in the context of wheel selection for our trucks, they're rare if almost nonexistent (so therefore making them NOT "boring" or cliche or whatever). Seriously. I've turned the internet upside down looking for something that fits my criteria. Yeah, I posted one picture of a wheel, and then one picture of a very similar wheel on my very own car because that is exactly what I'm looking for. I don't find too many other designs as pleasing to my eyes... I think I got as specific as I could. I don't really feel that I "came out the gate swinging", thus far it seems like there's at least a few other people who agree with what I'm saying...

That aside... I'm severely disappointed that there are absolutely no 19" wheel options for out trucks... I've come to grips that the closest thing to what I want and what I could live with are the Enkei ST6's... I'm pretty set on the gunmetal... But I just can't pull the trigger on going to 20's... I've tried to look at as many Colorado's with 20's on them as I can, and some look ok, but a lot of them look dumb... Just disproportionate, really goofy... I feel like 18's may look fine (and also won't complicate things as far as the speedo and such like the 20's will), but they'll just sort of "look stock"... This is why I want a 19" option... it would be PERFECT... But unfortunately, it's either 18" or 20"... Open to suggestions or advice on that bit...

As I stated before as well, I'm looking to get the fattest tire on whatever wheels that I can; and preferably one that won't rub or cause any issues. Again, I've seen mixed results... A lot of the people that had issues were lowered... I've yet to find any other info on stock height Xtremes with 275's on them... The size I'm looking at now are 275/40/20 if I go with 20's... I guess it would still be 275/40 if I went with 18's as well.

C A M
95 Aurora Modded 4.6 V8
95 Beretta Z26 3100 Auto
93 Beretta GT 3.1 Auto
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 06:39 PM

Level 8 MK6 night be up your alley. They are available in 18"

EyeFive, ts2100 and DigitalDan like this.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 08:23 PM

12194527_10153697846978104_5690164543398193935_o.j pg

20" RBP 2016 Colorado
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12194527_10153697846978104_5690164543398193935_o.jpg (254.9 KB, 169 views)
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 08:09 PM

Garage
I just ordered these to go under our new rough country 6" lift...

The truck is going in Thursday...really excited!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (73.0 KB, 497 views)
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 09:56 PM

Garage
I am so looking from some of the 5 spoke wheels I think from the early 70's Chevy trucks. I was thinking about getting a set and having them blacked out. I don't know if it's paint they use or some kind of electrostatic thing, but I think it would look killer. Kind of like a tribute. Maybe they weren't from a truck, but I know I have seen them somewhere, but they are retro for sure. Ahhhh dreams....
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 09:33 AM

Garage
I agree with you. A majority of wheels these days have chrome-plated fake rivets or are just too gaudy for a truck, imo.

A show truck should have flashy wheels, but I wanted something toned down on mine.

Luckily, the 18" Colorado wheels were exactly what I wanted, so I was able to buy a new set on eBay very cheap and have them powder-coated. And the style is subdued but not boring.

This is how it turned out...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160423_105352.jpg (199.3 KB, 183 views)
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 05:45 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CPTTango30 Send a message via MSN to CPTTango30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warghost View Post
I agree with you. A majority of wheels these days have chrome-plated fake rivets or are just too gaudy for a truck, imo.

A show truck should have flashy wheels, but I wanted something toned down on mine.

Luckily, the 18" Colorado wheels were exactly what I wanted, so I was able to buy a new set on eBay very cheap and have them powder-coated. And the style is subdued but not boring.

Looks great. How much did the powder coating cost you?
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 03:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTTango30 View Post
Looks great. How much did the powder coating cost you?
Thanks.

Well, I went overboard on mine. They have three coats of marine-grade powder from a German manufacturer (I forgot the name), so it's a lot stronger than what most companies offer. I paid $100 per wheel.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 12:19 AM

Garage
Freshly plasti dipped
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (220.4 KB, 121 views)

2016 Colorado LT, Crew Cab
LT Convenience Package
Chevy (factory) Drop-in Bedliner
Black - Westin Pro Traxx 4" Oval Nerf Bars
TonnoPro Tri-fold Tonneau
AVS In-Channel Window Visors
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 08:45 PM

Just got my 16 Colorado back today. 2.75 Zone Combo kit on 275/55/20 tires. I wanted the simple and clean look and I am happy with the results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1802.jpg (182.8 KB, 119 views)
Chief2016 and Louies20164x4 like this.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warghost View Post

Those wheels look awesome blacked out. I have the same ones and was thinking about doing something similar. Which lift are you using? Love the simple look.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 11:37 PM

I just got the 17" Black Rhino Warlords put on with a set of the 265/70R17 Hankook Dynopro AT's. With the 2" leveling kit, sits and rides pretty nice, no complaints. I originally wanted the ATX AX200's, but o was told they wouldn't be available with our bolt pattern for a couple of weeks and I didn't feel like waiting. Definitely happy with my choice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0338_1474771021458.jpg (126.5 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0347_1474771041973.jpg (124.1 KB, 73 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode