how much does paint cost? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2009, 06:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iigw Send a message via Yahoo to iigw
Default how much does paint cost?

This is in my eyes a general step by step list of “how” to paint a bumper. (this can be used as a general guide for painting other parts also, such as a hood/fender/roof, but does not take in the event of adjacent panels where blends need to be added in, blends require more labor and work.)

I do paint, so let me try to break this down a bit so there is more understanding of paint pricing..

I figure depending on the color it would be about ½ pint to 1 quart of color needed. (Some colors are opaque and you need either an under coat, think painting the part white if it’s a yellow color)

So let’s just say you have a black truck.

Ok in this instance were painting a bumper cover, the 2nd gen SS.

1. The part is “ready to paint” right out of the box. Never. Never is anything ready to paint out of the box. It must be inspected for any problems, deep scratches, or any “dents” that will need to be repaired (yes it’s a plastic, but they can have big warps that look like poop when painted)

2. once inspected, and lets say our bumper cover is 100% perfect no flaws it has to be moved into the paint booth and placed on a bumper stand.

3. the part has to be wiped down/cleaned with solvents, to remove any traces of mold release agents, and those dirty greasy paws you used to move the cover in the booth.

4. get the paint code from the truck and mix the paint.

5. spray a test panel and see how much tinting has to be done to match the paint to the black truck (black is not black)

6. get your gear on and pour the paint into the gun and step into the booth.

7. use a tack rag and wipe off any dust or lint left behind from wiping the bumper off with cleaning solvents.

8. spray on adhesion promoter, and let dry for the 20-30 mins recommended.

9. spray on a first coat of paint. Since this is black, it covers really fast, and in 3 medium wet coats the bumper is fully “covered”.

10. leave booth, and start mixing the clear coat. Get out the clear gun and fill it up with the new nice mixed up clear, go back in booth.

11. spray 2-3 wet coats of clear on bumper. Oooh shiny.. let dry over night, or leave booth and turn to bake for the recommended times/heat range.

12. remove “dry” bumper from booth. Take to prepping station.

13. place bumper on stand and wet sand with 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000 grit sand paper.

14. get out your trusty buffer and compound and get to buffing…

15. remove cutting buffing pad and replace with polishing pad, get out your finer grade (finesse) compound and start buffing…

16. remove the polishing pad, and get out the foam pad, switch the compound to swirl remover, and get to buffing…

17. when all steps of buffing are done, get out the hose and soap and water and start washing that bad boy..

18. dry and use a glaze (not wax, wax seals and is not breathable, your paint is “dry” but not cured, needs air and time to cure) to get that super deep wet look we all long for.

19. tell higher ups bumper is done. Higher ups (management) comes out to inspect bumper. Gets the “OK” and calls customer/owner to come pay and take it away.

Now this simple out line of work is pretty straight forward, and should be completed on pretty much any paint job, fender, or bumper repair.

There are steps left out, as this bumper did not need any repairs, or primering, or even a two-tone paint job (think racing stripes, or the cool little silver addition around the “fog light” holes)

So for a break down
I see about:
3 hrs from start to clear drying.
2 hrs for sanding and buffing
5 hrs at $65 dollars per hour is $325
Approximately $150 dollars in materials

Grand total of $475

So if you’re getting less then this price, or if you ask the shop about any of these steps and they aren’t performing them, you might think twice about that deal your getting.

I am also not saying you won’t find a friend or know someone who will get you a cheaper price, but when it comes to paint just be careful….

Orado build thread http://ifitsgotwheels.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=63
iigw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2009, 08:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: how much does paint cost?

An auto body shop owner/friend told me each panel on a car costs $500 to paint. If the car has 9 panels (hood, doors, roof, trunk, fenders, quarter panels) the squirt costs $4500..just to apply the paint on a properly prepped surface.
Your explanation makes perfect sense and accurate for the auto body industry. Thanks for the valuable education on the steps involved.
Catch-All Xtreme Floor Guards
ZQ8 tailgate decal
Factory foglights added
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2009, 04:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iigw Send a message via Yahoo to iigw

:BUMP:

Orado build thread http://ifitsgotwheels.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=63
iigw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2009, 08:16 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to FixxxerKH202

yup any respectable guys i talk to are about $500 a panel

good info for the inexperienced modders

I got another little tip for you guys DONT BUY EBAY PAINT most of it is garbage unless you are paying maybe $5 less for a major manufacturers paint i purchased some corvette red and got a real deal on it about $50 for enough to paint an entire s-10 well needless to say in about 6 months that corvette red was a pale orange disaster not to mention it had no flex and cracked off every plastic part that was painted with it, it was definitely deterioration from U.V. light so someone forgot one of the components of this paint as it was premixed and ready to spray as i got it

Like iigw said you never get a deal on body work its a very respectable trade in which everything has a set price just pay it if you want to be happy with the job done
FixxxerKH202 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2009, 01:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the info...Body work is something I'd like to learn to do.

Call me Mr. Vanilla!!!
Unfettered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.