Tires and wheel help - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012, 02:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tires and wheel help

Quick story to my dilemma.
My dad bought 20's for his silverado he didn't like the gas consumption so he offered them to me but I want the off road lifted look my Colorado is bone stock so would 20's with whatever suggested all terrain tires you guys can give me fit without a lift or is this pushing it and I should stick to buying my own 16x8's with the bfgoodrich KO. I. Trying to save money by taking his and just going back and get different tires installed

Thank you all for any input
LouEsq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2012, 02:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

First of all, 20" wheels are not more expensive to run than whatever else size your dad buys (unless he plans to buy a significantly smaller TIRE). My guess is that your dad is going to replace the wheels with a smaller diameter wheel, and at the same time buying a smaller diameter tire (not just smaller rim size). Should he drive to a tire shop and pick out new wheels, the shop will likely pick a tire that is similar to the stock diameter but with a smaller hole unless your dad specifies otherwise. Then for your dad, the speedometer will read fast with the new tires installed. How fast? Well that depends on the percentage smaller that he chooses.

Your dads wheels won't bolt onto your truck, they need the center hub bored out, or you have to use wheel spacers.

Same to you, 20" wheels have no affect on the fitment whatsoever. You just adjust the sidewall accordingly to meet the overall diameter you wish to run.

In order for us to be of any additional help, you MUST specify what truck you own. A work truck? A 2wd? A 4wd? The offroad package, or not?

Let us know....
08Canyon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 03:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Canyon View Post
First of all, 20" wheels are not more expensive to run than whatever else size your dad buys (unless he plans to buy a significantly smaller TIRE). My guess is that your dad is going to replace the wheels with a smaller diameter wheel, and at the same time buying a smaller diameter tire (not just smaller rim size). Should he drive to a tire shop and pick out new wheels, the shop will likely pick a tire that is similar to the stock diameter but with a smaller hole unless your dad specifies otherwise. Then for your dad, the speedometer will read fast with the new tires installed. How fast? Well that depends on the percentage smaller that he chooses.

Your dads wheels won't bolt onto your truck, they need the center hub bored out, or you have to use wheel spacers.

Same to you, 20" wheels have no affect on the fitment whatsoever. You just adjust the sidewall accordingly to meet the overall diameter you wish to run.

In order for us to be of any additional help, you MUST specify what truck you own. A work truck? A 2wd? A 4wd? The offroad package, or not?

Let us know....

I have a 08 Z71 2wd crew cab 3.7l
Stock everything

My dad is just going to put his stock rims back on he has 02 Silverado

The rims are like 2 weeks old has a month to return or exchange so he offered them to me since I'm in the need of new tires. I was just going to throw 31x10.5r15 BFgoodrich KO on them for the look and the price given to me $550 for all 4 + I installation valve and stems at America's Tire Co.

I just wanted to see if I can use his rims to save me the $550 + $250 on rims from Summit Racing without any mods
Old 10-09-2012, 03:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouEsq View Post
I have a 08 Z71 2wd crew cab 3.7l
Stock everything

My dad is just going to put his stock rims back on he has 02 Silverado

The rims are like 2 weeks old has a month to return or exchange so he offered them to me since I'm in the need of new tires. I was just going to throw 31x10.5r15 BFgoodrich KO on them for the look and the price given to me $550 for all 4 + I installation valve and stems at America's Tire Co.

I just wanted to see if I can use his rims to save me the $550 + $250 on rims from Summit Racing without any mods
If the wheels your dad has are 20 inches, you are not going to be able to put those tires on your truck. Those tires are designed for a 15inch rim.
pir8p3t3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 04:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pir8p3t3 View Post
If the wheels your dad has are 20 inches, you are not going to be able to put those tires on your truck. Those tires are designed for a 15inch rim.
No I know I can't those BFG's on the 20's but I wanted to know if I needed a lift to put the20's plus whatever all terrain wheel they can offer me I've seen geolanders go up to22's on Hummers but it doesn't seem likely based off the other reply needing spacers and all

I just don't have the money to do all lifting and such that's why I wanted to see if his rims would fit since its the same 6 lug x 5.5
Old 10-09-2012, 04:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

31x10.5 is a safe fit for a stock height Z71. That is close to your stock height. Your size is 265/75/15, right? But agreed, even if there is a 31 offered in a 20 I think that wheel would be entirely too large. That is me personally, thinking the sidewall is too small and won't look good, and will possibly ride fairly stiff due to no sidewall.

I still don't know why the fuel economy is different with your dad. Unless that new wheel weighs a ton in comparison to the stock wheels.

You can raise the front of your truck to make it sit level for fee (with exception to a front end alignment). That would at least net you a larger fender gap for the 31's. Not sure you'd get a tire any larger though.

Last edited by 08Canyon; 10-09-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

So how do I go about finding rims that fit properly because I have some in mind and I'm just a click away from buying them but I don't want problems

Here's the link
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-85-6883/

Wrapped in the BFG's
Old 10-10-2012, 09:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Our trucks require a center bore with either 101mm or 104mm, I don't recall.

If you are shopping online, just put in your vehicle and it should hopefully only show what fits. Otherwise, look for the center bore spec.

The wheel has a 4.25" bore so it should have plenty of clearance.

The 4" backspace is going to stick out a little bit but shouldn't be too bad.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouEsq View Post
So how do I go about finding rims that fit properly because I have some in mind and I'm just a click away from buying them but I don't want problems

Here's the link
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-85-6883/

Wrapped in the BFG's

those wheels will fit fine
Old 10-10-2012, 11:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

Cool thank you all so much
It's so highly appreciate
I'm just so new to the truck scene
I always dealt with camaros and firebirds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.