How to replace front coils? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

ColoradoFans.com is the premier Colorado Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2005, 04:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How to replace front coils?

Let me start by saying: I ran a search and couldn't come up with any thing specific. I'm curious to know the step by step procedure involved with replacing or removing a front coil. I've had my share of experience with rear suspension, like shackles, hangers and now blocks with this truck, but never messed with the front. Is there any specific information regarding this procedure?
JL e1200 8 W3v2
"20 SS Wheels 275/40/20
5.8" in dash/ 13" flipdown
Shaved tailgate handle, antenna, gas door and seamless rollpan
Magnaflow Exhaust/ K&N Air Charger
Smoked Taillights and 3rd Brake Light
SSZQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2005, 05:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

unbolt the sway bar, tie rod, and pull the hub off. under the hood, remove the center nut from the shock stud sticking through the fender. jack up your bottom a arm and unbolt the shock at the bottom. You'll have to wedge a wrench or screwdriver in between the frame and the lower spring cup on the shock. let the jack down and the whole thing should come out. Just replace the spring and follow the same steps putting it back together.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

What do you mean by, pull the hub off? Are you talking about the rotor and spindle?
Second, you lost me at: "You'll have to wedge a wrench or screwdriver in between the frame and the lower spring cup on the shock." Why is this done?
Most importantly, Did you use a spring compressor? At what point is the tension released from the spring?
JL e1200 8 W3v2
"20 SS Wheels 275/40/20
Old 02-25-2005, 02:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

The installation was a bit of a pain for me, my friend, and his dad, since we had no idea how to get the coilover setup out on the first side, so we ended up disconnecting the lower control arm from the spindle... Once we got that done, it wasn't bad.

You're going to need a spring compressor from autozone or wherever, various sockets, and a jack and jackstands.

I'll do it as a list....

1. Remove the battery and battery box for access to drivers side coilover bolts.

2. Loosen Lugs nuts on front tires

3. jack up truck from the front crossmember, then put jack stands on the frame behind the control arms.

4. remove the front tires.

5. disconnect the lower end of the swaybar end link from the control arm (this is a little bar with two ball joints on it, disconnect the side attached to the control arm) You'll need a 1/4 socket or wrench, and i believe a 15mm wrench. Put the 15mm on the nut, and then the 1/4" wrench on the little hex thing sticking out from the ball joint. You need to either hold that bar with the 1/4" wrench and turn the 15mm nut to get it loose, or the opposite. Then just swing the end link up out of the way.

6. remove the 3 bolts on either coilover from the top side, through the engine compartment. DO NOT remove the middle bolt yet, just the 3 side ones.

7. remove the lower coilover bolt from the control arm.

8. the entire coilover assembly should slide down, backwards (towards the rear of the truck) and out. This may be a bit tricky, but you can get it out fairly easily.

9. install the coil compressor on opposite sides of the coil spring, and compress it. You need to get the tension off of the coil so the cap doesn't come flying off when you loosen the bolt.

10. remove the nut from the top of the coilover assembly, and remove everything on the top of the coil, make sure you remember how it all came out so it can be reinstalled properly. Remove the old coil at this time as well.

11. take the spring compressor off your stock springs and throw it away or whatever you want to do with it. Then put the compressor on the new coils and screw them down a bit.

12. put the new coil springs, along with the spring compressor, onto the coilover assembly. Make sure you've got the compressor tightened down enough to get everything back on the top of the coil. Reinstall the nut, and tighten it down.

12. remove the coil spring compressor from the coil. This may pose a slight problem, which it did for me. The new spring is a lot more tightly wound than the stocker, so you couldn't actually get the coil spring compressor off the coil. What we did was take the threaded rod completely out of the two little hooks, then just turn the hooks and they would come out, then just put the threaded rod back in.

13. reinstall the coilover assembly onto the truck. Bolt the top down first, then do the bottom. You may need to jack the control arm up a bit to get the lower bolt it. Tighten everything down real good.

14. reinstall the swaybar end link to the control arm, and make sure to get it tight.

15. I think that's about it, so repeat for the other side.

16. put the tires back on, tighten up the lug nuts, and drop her back on the ground.

17. enjoy your new stance, and improved handling.

There you go, that's the way I did it.
PaulYFZ22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2005, 02:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the details. How long did it take you on the second attempt?
JL e1200 8 W3v2
"20 SS Wheels 275/40/20
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.