Issues with aftermarket door-chime module? - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Issues with aftermarket door-chime module?

Apparently the door chime module on my Alpine audio system is suddenly making my truck go nuts!
The stereo comes on and off by itself when I am driving. The digital screen on the stereo tays on all the time but it will suddenly go silent at times. Sometimes it comes back in a few minutes. Other times in a few hours.

When the truck is parked it is even more weird:
The alarm has come on in the middle of the night.
When I park (and remove the key) and open the door to get out the door chime comes on because it thinks I left the keys in the ignition. I have to put the key back in and out to make it stop.
Last week I was working in my garage and the windshield wipers came on!

After speaking with the people at Alpine, it seems like perhaps the "door chime module" on my aftermarket sound system is the cause of this. Anyone ever hear of anything like this?

Can we not have an aftermarket system WITHOUT this module? I was told that not using one might cause other electonic issues with things like the air bags etc... weird...

2007 GMC Canyon, Crew Cab, Black

Alpine Sound System: iDA-X001 deck, SWS-1023 10" sub, MRP-F300 Amp, MRP-M500 Mono Amp, SPS-600 speakers
Low-profile black toolbox
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 09:13 PM

Send a message via MSN to r0adki1l
Re: Issues with aftermarket door-chime module?

yes you can get just a wire harness (scoshe or whatever) and wire one of your cigarette lighter plugs for RAP and wire your acc for stereo to the plug then you still get the RAP function but no door chimes / warnimg chimes.

i couldn't justify 170 bucks for a decent one seems all the cheaper ones mess up like that.

06 Z85 Blue Granite Crew Cab 4X4
Canyon & Colorado club of Canada (member #19)
MUD CLUB MEMBER #27
Lifted Colorado/Canyon Member #260

CANADIAN EH! and as a matter of fact it is pronounced ZED!! =]
B.C. Chapter of COLORADOFANS.COM

Quote:
I sure do love BOOBIES!
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0adki1l
yes you can get just a wire harness (scoshe or whatever) and wire one of your cigarette lighter plugs for RAP and wire your acc for stereo to the plug then you still get the RAP function but no door chimes / warnimg chimes.

i couldn't justify 170 bucks for a decent one seems all the cheaper ones mess up like that.
OK, just so I am clear on this, can you explain what a "RAP" is, please? lol. I have always wanted to get around this door chime module bull, so I am just trying to get my head around what you are suggesting. My stereo install guy seemed certain that I needed the module. I will be printing out your post and showing him!

Alpine Sound System: iDA-X001 deck, SWS-1023 10" sub, MRP-F300 Amp, MRP-M500 Mono Amp, SPS-600 speakers

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 09:39 PM

lol it means Retained Accessory Power when you turn the truck off the radio stays on until you open the door or after a certain amount of time, really that part is optional as far as the harness any gm 95-up harness, this is what I installed in mine.
i am about to make the RAP connection on mine. How to convert ACC plug to RAP
Quote:
Just bought one at walmart (schosche model #GM035F) for $10 Canadian. Ya you dont get the door buzzer and the R.A.P. function dosent work on the radio.
Compared to $140CAD (high end model) it'll do just fine. The part # for the Dash kit Scosche GMT2049F was $16CAD
all i did was tap the acc sire into the heater controls right below the dashkit (ign on) beleive it was the brown wire on the flat connector top of the controls. But just grab a test light and find yourself a ign on power source.

MUD CLUB MEMBER #27

Quote:
I sure do love BOOBIES!
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
lol it means Retained Accessory Power when you turn the truck off the radio stays on until you open the door or after a certain amount of time, really that part is optional as far as the harness any gm 95-up harness, this is what I installed in mine.
i am about to make the RAP connection on mine. How to convert ACC plug to RAP
Quote:
Just bought one at walmart (schosche model #GM035F) for $10 Canadian. Ya you dont get the door buzzer and the R.A.P. function dosent work on the radio.
Compared to $140CAD (high end model) it'll do just fine. The part # for the Dash kit Scosche GMT2049F was $16CAD
all i did was tap the acc sire into the heater controls right below the dashkit (ign on) beleive it was the brown wire on the flat connector top of the controls. But just grab a test light and find yourself a ign on power source.
I had a call back from the audio shop. They have another door-chime module. Is this the kind of problem that I am likely to have over and over?

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 03:39 PM

I had a shop do my install and they used the Kenwood GMAHLAN to retain OnStar and RAP and charged me $190 (retail), but I have seen it on line for $120.

Even though it works fine, there have been occasion where it chimed for no reason?
Sometimes it will remember the last chime it performed when stopping, leave lights on it chimes 4 time, turn off lights. Get in the truck later and start it up, and it will chime 4 times. Then it is done, will not do that again.
So spending more money doesn't necessarily get you a better product.

Have not used the OnStar, so I can not say how well that even works.

2009 Colorado Ext 3LT Sport 2WD 5.3L V8, Black Granite Metallic
  • Black Bear Perf 93 Tune, K&N Filter, Air Doc Intake, PTB, Superior Servos, Dual Magnaflows, Bilstein Shocks, Dynolock, Scangauge II, BakFlip HD, DDM HIDs, SilverStar Ultra, Redline Tuning Elite Hood Struts, Belltech Sway bars, Bad Boy Horn, SS Chrome Bowtie, EZ DOWN Tailgate Damper, Hellwig traction springs
  • Kenwood DDX 812/KNA-G510, Alpine PDX-F6/PDX-1.600x2, Massive Audio RK6/RX6, JL Audio 8w7x2, KnuKonceptz Big 3 (0 gauge)
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

So does your chime problems kind of come and go? Mine will be all crazy for a while and then its fine for a few weeks.

I know this is crazy, but here is what sets it off: If I get into the truck and put the keys into the ignition BEFORE I close the truck door. As soon as I do this I hear a weird "static" noise coming from the chime module. It seems as though when I do this, the module thinks that I was about to get OUT of the car and leave my keys in or something.... This throws everything out of whack and before I know it, I am back to my stereo going off randomly, the alarm coming on at night etc...

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 11:03 AM

which chime module do you have?

Co-Owner
Automotive Specialty Systems, LLC
dave@automotivespecialtysystems.com
www.automotivespecialtysystems.com

Like us on facebook:
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 01:25 PM

I run a scosche chime module on my 2007 Xtreme and have had no problems with that one and its cheap at only 39 bucks. The chime is not too loud either which is a plus.

2009 3LT with 5.3, Trueflow intake, Magnaflow exhaust.

2012 3LT Stock.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperEco06
which chime module do you have?

I have no idea! lol...

It was put in at the install shop. Apparently it is made by Alpine.

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 08:53 PM

Is it possible to put in your ne HU without a chime module. I find that chime annoying and whenever we go camping it would be nice to listen to the radio with the doors open without the chime.

2005 z85 CrewCab GMC Canyon, Metallic Red, I4 Auto, 2wd

De-Badged(all thats left is grill), Z71 Rims, Pathfinder A/P tires, K&N Filter,
Clarion CZ500, MB QUART Formula 6.5" Components,
Polk Audio DB651shallows(Rear Doors),
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 12:47 AM

^X2 just get rid of the module waste of money lol

MUD CLUB MEMBER #27

Quote:
I sure do love BOOBIES!
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
^X2 just get rid of the module waste of money lol
OK, that was my feeling exactly. Here is the problem, however: Apparently certain components of the airbag and onstar (if you have it, which I do not) are somehow tied into (or connected to) the electronics of your stock stereo. When you replace it, the aftermarket chime module somehow re-connects these things.

I have had 2 shops tell me that they cannot do an install without the module, in case this somehow leads to airbags not deploying (or deploying incorrectly).

This makes no sense at all to me, but as I say, I have been told this by 2 audio places...

If I could find evidence that the chime module was not necessary, I would have it pulled out and pitched in the garbage!

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 10:43 PM

???? well if there if that was true would gm not have a big sticker somewhere saying " don't change your stereo or you will die"... and would the airbag warning light not stay on then... i think there just f'ing with you to waste your money go to a gm dealer you trust and ask a tech im pretty sure it will be fine. and the chime module companies would have a " makes your factory airbags work" sales pitch im sure
but hey i've been wrong before ... well not wrong...just misunderstood lol

MUD CLUB MEMBER #27

Quote:
I sure do love BOOBIES!
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
???? well if there if that was true would gm not have a big sticker somewhere saying " don't change your stereo or you will die"... and would the airbag warning light not stay on then... i think there just f'ing with you to waste your money go to a gm dealer you trust and ask a tech im pretty sure it will be fine. and the chime module companies would have a " makes your factory airbags work" sales pitch im sure
but hey i've been wrong before ... well not wrong...just misunderstood lol

I guess Im gonna have to check elsewhere. Its not like the stereo shops are making much money on these stupid units, so I dont see why they would push them so hard.

post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 11:57 PM

good luck man let me know what you find as I have no chime module either my airbag lights all work fine no issues

MUD CLUB MEMBER #27

Quote:
I sure do love BOOBIES!
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 03:43 PM

I just installed a stereo in my truck, you can just buy the wiring harness's that work with the sonoma, s-10 and the stereo will wire right in fine, except you have to run a switched 12v source to your ignition so that the radio turns on and off with your truck. It is definitely worth it seeing as you can listen to your music with the doors open and no chime.

2005 z85 CrewCab GMC Canyon, Metallic Red, I4 Auto, 2wd

De-Badged(all thats left is grill), Z71 Rims, Pathfinder A/P tires, K&N Filter,
Clarion CZ500, MB QUART Formula 6.5" Components,
Polk Audio DB651shallows(Rear Doors),
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 05:52 PM

Forget the chime mod. Its a waste. Unless you like the annoying bongs...
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 05:53 PM

Oh yes. The guys at the shop want you to have the chime mod...
So they can sell you some stuff you dont need!
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 05:45 PM

well yes and no. It differs from one GM vehicle to another, but, at my shop last week we had a guy come in with an 06 impala that he put a radio in himself, as suggested here, it was done without the chime box. After the first couple hours of using it the gentleman started complaining that his wipers would go on and off without warning, airbag light for the pass. seat would flash on and off etc.

That was the first time I witnessed a car first hand have problems other than no chime when it has been wired into the car without an interface, but I have heard stories from other shops where they tried installing a radio into a CTS and wired it in then blew the airbag on the pass side.

I do not know why GM does it, but some vehicles have signals that route through the radios data interface, and I have learned better safe than sorry. I would not want to be in one of these cars to find out the data line through the radio carried the signal for the pass airbag when I got into an accident.

Co-Owner
Automotive Specialty Systems, LLC
dave@automotivespecialtysystems.com
www.automotivespecialtysystems.com

Like us on facebook:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode